A level
Reply 3
Original post by cherry1011
A level

I do ocr rs, what guidance do you need?
Reply 4
Original post by akpo
I do ocr rs, what guidance do you need?

Rlly finding the content hard to understand. I got a grade 9 in gcse re so it’s not that I don’t have the ability. It’s just im not sure how to revise for it? or the exam techniques and essay lay outs
Reply 5
Rlly finding the content hard to understand. I got a grade 9 in gcse re so it’s not that I don’t have the ability. It’s just im not sure how to revise for it? or the exam techniques and essay lay outs

The most important exam technique is time management. The exam board unfortunately thinks we are robots and want us to write 3 ‘40 mark’ essays a mark per minute for 2 hours. So these essays have to become more concise in language, cut the waffle and select relevant material, so not all the knowledge in every topic should be revised because it’s very unlikely you’ll have time to include I.e. all of Plato’s arguments for soul, mind and body in an essay on the general topic. In terms of structure, ocr are pretty lenient on how you write, because they say there is no set way. However, because it’s AO1 : 40% vs AO2 : 60% (sorry this is long), you want to sort of represent some respect to this percentage when writing your essay. Another key thing is language and articulation. To evaluate, means criticising the argument as a whole, it could be through evaluating premises, the truth of its conclusion, or through the use of an example. Scholars can form part of AO2, if not too detailed. Overall, AO1 = content/explanation / AO2 = evaluation and analysis (depending on how you write, AO2 can also be scholarly arguments).

In terms of revision, essay plans are probably really good and flash cards.
Essentially for each topic (this is quite general and not specific to many ethics/development in religious thought chapters):
General pointers that can be written in any essay, form the main philosopher(s) of topic
Important technical key terms
Counter arguments from other scholars (at the end there may be some synoptic links)
Strengths and weaknesses (But not in too much detail, because theres a LOT of content to cover)
(Some of this may be waffle, but I hope this helped in any way)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by akpo
The most important exam technique is time management. The exam board unfortunately thinks we are robots and want us to write 3 ‘40 mark’ essays a mark per minute for 2 hours. So these essays have to become more concise in language, cut the waffle and select relevant material, so not all the knowledge in every topic should be revised because it’s very unlikely you’ll have time to include I.e. all of Plato’s arguments for soul, mind and body in an essay on the general topic. In terms of structure, ocr are pretty lenient on how you write, because they say there is no set way. However, because it’s AO1 : 40% vs AO2 : 60% (sorry this is long), you want to sort of represent some respect to this percentage when writing your essay. Another key thing is language and articulation. To evaluate, means criticising the argument as a whole, it could be through evaluating premises, the truth of its conclusion, or through the use of an example. Scholars can form part of AO2, if not too detailed. Overall, AO1 = content/explanation / AO2 = evaluation and analysis (depending on how you write, AO2 can also be scholarly arguments).

In terms of revision, essay plans are probably really good and flash cards.
Essentially for each topic (this is quite general and not specific to many ethics/development in religious thought chapters):
General pointers that can be written in any essay, form the main philosopher(s) of topic
Important technical key terms
Counter arguments from other scholars (at the end there may be some synoptic links)
Strengths and weaknesses (But not in too much detail, because theres a LOT of content to cover)
(Some of this may be waffle, but I hope this helped in any way)

Thank you so much.
Is it true that we need 5+ scholars in each essay? That’s what I was told by my teacher
Reply 7
Thank you so much.
Is it true that we need 5+ scholars in each essay? That’s what I was told by my teacher

I’m not a very good representative of this question, because I actually do use 8+ and 13 at max in my essays. But realistically, acknowledge that 5+ scholars can easily be interpreted as knowing Plato and Aristotle’s argument in detail and literally saying something like “Dawkins, Ryle and Skinner would’ve disagreed...” in the conclusion. That is technically using 5 scholars.
Ocr do not have a scholar requirement and actually care about detail. Many essays that have been given a/a* have a tendency to use 5+ scholars. My friend used 3 scholars in his essay and was awarded 30/40 which is an A under the new boundaries, so I’d say it’s very subjective. But if you want a straight up answer, that is not true, but most A/* essays live up to that principle.
Reply 8
Original post by akpo
I’m not a very good representative of this question, because I actually do use 8+ and 13 at max in my essays. But realistically, acknowledge that 5+ scholars can easily be interpreted as knowing Plato and Aristotle’s argument in detail and literally saying something like “Dawkins, Ryle and Skinner would’ve disagreed...” in the conclusion. That is technically using 5 scholars.
Ocr do not have a scholar requirement and actually care about detail. Many essays that have been given a/a* have a tendency to use 5+ scholars. My friend used 3 scholars in his essay and was awarded 30/40 which is an A under the new boundaries, so I’d say it’s very subjective. But if you want a straight up answer, that is not true, but most A/* essays live up to that principle.

Would you be okay with showing me an example of what your revision actually looks like
Reply 9
Would you be okay with showing me an example of what your revision actually looks like

(This is an example: for the ethics chapter because I started doing my notes in random unit order in year 13, big mistake)
FE2E4725-01E9-4A8F-8C20-E318F3594BC1.jpg.jpeg393E4F9D-BBA1-4DE0-9494-49F204CBF404.jpg.jpeg

Quick Reply

Latest