The Student Room Group

Getting a laptop through DSA?

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with ADHD at the end of 1st year @ Uni. I applied & received DSA and get a study coach through it (although I was already doing everything she would suggest + more)

At the time I said my current laptop is fine - but it's coming up for 5 years old now and is starting to struggle with the course load and the battery is not what it used to be.

Is this enough justification to get a laptop through DSA? My current one will probably last another few years but I'd certainly be more productive on a modern one. If so - do I need to wait til next year to apply for it?

Additionally, I use a mac - always have (way before they were 'cool' and mac vs pc was a thing). Some of my programs I use for Uni are mac-only - would I be able to request a mac or do I need to take what I'm given?
I believe the DSA laptops are based on a budget of like £200 or something, and are pretty basic, from what I've heard. It quite possibly wouldn't be any better than your current setup, although I'm not 100% certain on that.

However I highly doubt you'll be able to request a mac, as you would need to demonstrate not only is the software not available for windows/linux but there is also no equivalent for windows/linux (which is unlikely - it's usually the other way, where there is software for windows/linux which doesn't have an equivalent on mac until someone creates one).
Original post by artful_lounger
I believe the DSA laptops are based on a budget of like £200 or something, and are pretty basic, from what I've heard. It quite possibly wouldn't be any better than your current setup, although I'm not 100% certain on that.

However I highly doubt you'll be able to request a mac, as you would need to demonstrate not only is the software not available for windows/linux but there is also no equivalent for windows/linux (which is unlikely - it's usually the other way, where there is software for windows/linux which doesn't have an equivalent on mac until someone creates one).

Hmm? £200 is the student contribution - they pay the other £700+. People are given the option to 'upgrade' to a mac for an extra few hundred but I figured I'd be able to specify a mac considering I wouldn't work as well on a windows pc so it'd be a hindrance to my studies.

The app is Spark and AFAIK there is no equivalent for windows.
Original post by unomie
Hmm? £200 is the student contribution - they pay the other £700+. People are given the option to 'upgrade' to a mac for an extra few hundred but I figured I'd be able to specify a mac considering I wouldn't work as well on a windows pc so it'd be a hindrance to my studies.

Unless the software is assistive technology only available on Mac's they ll only cover a basic Windows laptop and you d have to pay the upgrade cost.
Original post by unomie

Ah I see, I got that bit about the £200 mixed up. Based on a cursory google search the software is an email client though...? There are innumerable email clients available on every platform so this might be a hard sell.

Original post by claireestelle
Unless the software is assistive technology only available on Mac's they ll only cover a basic Windows laptop and you d have to pay the upgrade cost.

Well there you have it :smile: I think you would probably end up paying the difference for that :s
Original post by artful_lounger
Ah I see, I got that bit about the £200 mixed up. Based on a cursory google search the software is an email client though...? There are innumerable email clients available on every platform so this might be a hard sell.

Email client set up for my own workflow + built-in calendar synchronisation which in I meticulously plan my every minute.

Original post by claireestelle

Well - considering the nature of ADHD - aren't all productivity apps 'assistive technology' ?
Original post by unomie
Email client set up for my own workflow + built-in calendar synchronisation which in I meticulously plan my every minute.

Well - considering the nature of ADHD - aren't all productivity apps 'assistive technology' ?

Generally there ll be a list of software they ll happily fund and if that particular one isn't on it then they won't. There won't be vat on it so it ll be cheaper to upgrade to a Mac than buying one outright with the contribution included.
You definitely do not have to wait until next year, just contact your assessor and tell her your that your laptop is not coping as well as you thought it was going to. If she offered you a laptop when you got assessed I can’t see why you wouldn’t get one now. You pay £200 contribution for laptop, mine was about £500 but not brilliant. Just be aware that If you do get a computer allocated it might not be the latest Apple Mac from DSA supplier, so you might want to get it from the high street and put some extra money towards it. Here’s some guidance notes that might be useful regarding DSA computers.

https://dsa-qag.org.uk/application/files/9315/2352/3525/DSA_Computer_Specification_Matrix_June_2016_v4.0.pdf
Original post by ilovelearning17
You definitely do not have to wait until next year, just contact your assessor and tell her your that your laptop is not coping as well as you thought it was going to. If she offered you a laptop when you got assessed I can’t see why you wouldn’t get one now. You pay £200 contribution for laptop, mine was about £500 but not brilliant. Just be aware that If you do get a computer allocated it might not be the latest Apple Mac from DSA supplier, so you might want to get it from the high street and put some extra money towards it. Here’s some guidance notes that might be useful regarding DSA computers.

https://dsa-qag.org.uk/application/files/9315/2352/3525/DSA_Computer_Specification_Matrix_June_2016_v4.0.pdf

Thanks for this - although it seems to be wales/england and I'm in Scotland - sure its probably pretty similar tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending