The Student Room Group

I hate weekly tests

I am getting incredibly irritated over weekly tests as they only have a few marks like 10-20 and little mistakes can cost you a lot.As well as I don't think they are a good reflection of your true ability.To be honest the only thing a weekly test achieves is to lower my self confidence.
I have weekly tests at uni too. They do serve a purpose - so your teachers can keep tabs on your progress, encourage you to keep up with the work, revise often throughout the year, and to make sure you thoroughly understand each topic. You could try to ask your teachers about having less tests, but honestly I don't think they'll be particularly understanding. The best thing you can do is make sure you're well prepared so you can get the marks you want.
Original post by Anonymous1502
I am getting incredibly irritated over weekly tests as they only have a few marks like 10-20 and little mistakes can cost you a lot.As well as I don't think they are a good reflection of your true ability.To be honest the only thing a weekly test achieves is to lower my self confidence.

Weekly tests are not a good use of teaching time.
What do you want us to do about it? Surely achieving low marks makes you more motivated to achieve better...
Original post by Guarddyyy
What do you want us to do about it? Surely achieving low marks makes you more motivated to achieve better...

No it doesn't.I want a place where I can vent and share my woes with fellow students.
Just as annoying as they are, weekly tests help you identify gaps in your understanding and really do prepare you for the actual exams as you get used to being in exam conditions. I'm speaking from personal experience.
Original post by OxbridgeRejectTT
Just as annoying as they are, weekly tests help you identify gaps in your understanding and really do prepare you for the actual exams as you get used to being in exam conditions. I'm speaking from personal experience.

I personally do not think so.My teacher in chemistry is quite rubbish and I learn nothing in her lessons.So my gaps are everywhere in all the topics.Those weekly tests show me what I expect every time which is that I learnt nothing.
I personally do not think so.My teacher in chemistry is quite rubbish and I learn nothing in her lessons.So my gaps are everywhere in all the topics.Those weekly tests show me what I expect every time which is that I learnt nothing.

A-level is a lot about independent studying. Take the opportunity to study independently at home, and it will make studying at uni easier. I BELIEVE IN YOU!

My teachers tell me this a lot - if you found a test easy, it probably means you've scored very low. You shouldn't be super confident nor self-conscious (maybe I said this wrong) about your work.
(edited 5 years ago)

I'm going to be totally honest with you, once you're at A Level you can't really use your teacher as an excuse anymore. If you're not understanding a topic it's up to you to either see them in person and ask for help or take on that responsibility yourself to get a textbook, look up resources online etc. It's better to see those gaps in a weekly test and then be able to fill them in yourself than to only realise once you get your final grade and it's not what you're expecting.
Original post by umbrellala
I'm going to be totally honest with you, once you're at A Level you can't really use your teacher as an excuse anymore. If you're not understanding a topic it's up to you to either see them in person and ask for help or take on that responsibility yourself to get a textbook, look up resources online etc. It's better to see those gaps in a weekly test and then be able to fill them in yourself than to only realise once you get your final grade and it's not what you're expecting.

Well said.

Since it's chemistry you're struggling with, I suggest using notes from chemrevise and doing every single past question by topic on physicsandmathstutor. If you still don't understand the material, watch E Rintoul's videos on Youtube.
Original post by Guarddyyy
A-level is a lot about independent studying. Take the opportunity to study independently at home, and it will make studying at uni easier. I BELIEVE IN YOU!

My teachers tell me this a lot - if you found a test easy, it probably means you've scored very low. You shouldn't be super confident nor self-conscious (maybe I said this wrong) about your work.

In biology just turning up=an A grade if I can succeed in biology but just runing up then this clearly says something.
In biology just turning up=an A grade if I can succeed in biology but just runing up then this clearly says something.

That was the same for me. Actually, in biology I could get As with not much revision at all, I managed to get away with just doing the homework and going to the lessons. This was despite the fact that my biology teacher was mediocre at best, and my chemistry teachers were brilliant - they gave me loads of resources and were attentive to our class's weaker points. Chemistry was just a subject that didn't click for me as well. But, because I knew that, I put in a lot of extra time at home to go over things myself and re-learn the points I'd found difficult because it was my responsibility to do so. If the teachers had gone over a topic too quickly for my liking, I would work on it at home with the textbook/youtube/chemguide. That kind of independent study is what A Levels are about, they're designed to set you up properly for uni and get you used to relying on teachers slightly less.
You have to remember something though. Biology isn't chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest