The Student Room Group

My dad hates my choices

I'm picking my a levels and my dad doesn't like me doing anything with politics as he thinks it's pointless as his mate did it and has a low pay office job. Politics is something I really enjoy so naturally I thought an a level in it would be a good use of time . If anyone here does politics what other subjects do you take and what are your aspirations.

Scroll to see replies

do what you want, not what your dad wants. You are studying it for 2 years not him! Politics works well with English and History ut there are many other good options it goes with what other A levels where you thinking?!
Reply 2
Original post by maisiex10x
do what you want, not what your dad wants. You are studying it for 2 years not him! Politics works well with English and History ut there are many other good options it goes with what other A levels where you thinking?!

English lang, history or economics mainly but open to suggestion
Original post by IVLegion
I'm picking my a levels and my dad doesn't like me doing anything with politics as he thinks it's pointless as his mate did it and has a low pay office job. Politics is something I really enjoy so naturally I thought an a level in it would be a good use of time . If anyone here does politics what other subjects do you take and what are your aspirations.

It doesn’t matter what your Dad likes. You study what interests you and what you think will shine at. You are the one who is going to put in the hard graft. You will achieve better and work harder if it’s your own choice.

Choose what you want and ignore what your dad says because if you choose something he likes and something you hate, then you’re going to be blaming him for the next 2 years and possible future.

Choose your own A levels - you are the one doing the studying - not him!
Ignore Saboor. If you are taking two enabling subjects already then your third A level should be one that you enjoy, and will therefore do well in. There is absolutely no point in taking a third subject you hate and will do badly in. AAA will look better on your CV than AAC.

It's not about your Dad, it is about what you want to do.
Consider what you want to do in the future (university and beyond). If you think you might want to do something sciencey, at the very least consider taking maths as it will keep many many more of your options open. Beyond that do whatever takes your interest.
Reply 9

I don't personally do politics but if you have a passion for a subject you should definitely do it - don't do an level if you don't have a love for it because you've got to be prepared to spend lots of time revising and working for it.

I know people who do business politics and history as well as English politics and economics so you've pretty much got a good range to choose from but only choose subjects that you love not because you feel you have to for uni or to make them a good combination! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by LucyJl
I don't personally do politics but if you have a passion for a subject you should definitely do it - don't do an level if you don't have a love for it because you've got to be prepared to spend lots of time revising and working for it.

I know people who do business politics and history as well as English politics and economics so you've pretty much got a good range to choose from but only choose subjects that you love not because you feel you have to for uni or to make them a good combination! :smile:

Cheers for a reply that isn't part of a seemingly endless argument
Reply 11
The thing is what careers would politics lead me to

Your dad's mate is on low pay because he's crap at his job, not because he took Politics. A good chunk of the people I met at Oxbridge interviews, including myself, take Politics A-level. It really doesn't matter what you take as long as you don't take general studies.

It comes down to what universities you're looking at, what degree you want to do, what job you hope to achieve (Investment Banker or binman?). We need more information. Answer the questions and I can help;

journalism, banking, politics, teaching, business, management and many more. A politics degree from a good uni will get you a lot of money. As long as you are a driven person.

A politics degree is fairly open ended. It's less about the degree proper but the skills you gain during it, such as critical thinking and the essays etc, obviously a career in the civil service is open to you, however there are also other industries such as marketing, and even banking and consultancy that can be open to you, some degrees may offer dual honours courses as well, such as w/ Economics etc, google some of the unis you're thinking of and the A Levels you're considering to be able to see the possible routes for you post-18.
Reply 15
Cheers for a reply that isn't part of a seemingly endless argument

No problem! I wish you the best of luck! ps remember your choices now aren't set in stone ( experience from someone in UK so might be different in another country haha) you can always change your mind so don't worry about it too much plus your GCSE (or equivalent) results may make you change your mind slightly - it did for me! :smile:

Why don't you put your choices into this: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

See what comes out ..
Reply 17
Original post by That'sGreat
Your dad's mate is on low pay because he's crap at his job, not because he took Politics. A good chunk of the people I met at Oxbridge interviews, including myself, take Politics A-level. It really doesn't matter what you take as long as you don't take general studies.

It comes down to what universities you're looking at, what degree you want to do, what job you hope to achieve (Investment Banker or binman?). We need more information. Answer the questions and I can help;

I'd like to attend a Russel group uni ideally, as for a job something pretaining to politics and communication. Maybe a speechwriter or a advisor to a politician
I'm going to have to agree with your dad here. listen to him he's your wise old man and knows you best
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Qwertyuser123
I'm going to have to agree with your dad here. listen to him he's your wise old man

Nah he doesn't seem wise.
Let's break it down fully now.
Sample size = 1. Off to a bad start.
Furthermore: A-levels do not determine career as much as some people on here think. Even the uni degree is not that deep. That his dad's friend is in a low-paid job is not the fault of his A-level choices but probably something way after that. Career choice, uni choice, the people you know and the people you don't, they're important and individual factors that will contribute a lot more to what job you get than what 1 of 3 subjects you took when you were 16.

Quick Reply

Latest