The Student Room Group

Urgent help uni advice

Hi
Okay so I’m turning 18 soon and I want to do a foundation year in any science degree
What do I need?
My GCSE’s in double science were C
I did one year (of 2) btec extended diploma in applied science
Got a pass in that due to a mishap between teachers and work experience

Now studying art and design level 2 but I really want to do science! I’m realistically prepared to self teach myself a level science.

What can I do?
Reply 1
^
Check my last post please sorry I just need some advice!
you can find multiple science foundation years which you can do if you have not done science based a levels, then after the foundation year(s) you'll be able to apply to science undergraduate uni courses. Here's an example of a foundation programme which may meet your GCSEs etc. : https://www.gre.ac.uk/foundation-degrees/engsci/biomedical-science-foundation-degree-bromley-campus#entry-requirements

what kind of science do you want to do?
Reply 3
Original post by SammyD30
Hi
Okay so I’m turning 18 soon and I want to do a foundation year in any science degree
What do I need?
My GCSE’s in double science were C
I did one year (of 2) btec extended diploma in applied science
Got a pass in that due to a mishap between teachers and work experience

Now studying art and design level 2 but I really want to do science! I’m realistically prepared to self teach myself a level science.

What can I do?

Can you summarise the qualifications you actually have? But by the sounds of what you have written you don't have any Level 3 qualifications so an Access to Higher Education course would be a better bet.
Reply 4
Original post by anonymous2556
you can find multiple science foundation years which you can do if you have not done science based a levels, then after the foundation year(s) you'll be able to apply to science undergraduate uni courses. Here's an example of a foundation programme which may meet your GCSEs etc. : https://www.gre.ac.uk/foundation-degrees/engsci/biomedical-science-foundation-degree-bromley-campus#entry-requirements

what kind of science do you want to do?

Thank you I thought it wasn’t possible I will check the link and I prefer the biomed/cancer route meaning something to do with medicine :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
Can you summarise the qualifications you actually have? But by the sounds of what you have written you don't have any Level 3 qualifications so an Access to Higher Education course would be a better bet.

In terms of level 3, I have the btec national diploma level 3 in applied science
Reply 6
In terms of level 3, I have the btec national diploma level 3 in applied science

But you didn't complete it?
Reply 7
I’m saying I want to do a foundation year since getting onto a degree course is basically impossible. For me at this point but how do these foundation years work? Like you’re guaranteed a place if you pass right? My careers advisors etc at college donttell us anything whatsoever
Reply 8
But you didn't complete it?

I completed one year which still is a qualification Of Btec National Diploma , I have the certificate and all.

Now if I wouldve completed the two years I would have done btec national EXTENDED diploma
Reply 9
I completed one year which still is a qualification Of Btec National Diploma , I have the certificate and all.

Now if I wouldve completed the two years I would have done btec national EXTENDED diploma

Ok, and what grades did you get? If it was DM or better then that Greenwich course, or similar, is an option.

Edit: assuming you have the necessary GCSEs too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Ok, and what grades did you get? If it was DM or better then that Greenwich course, or similar, is an option.

Edit: assuming you have the necessary GCSEs too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got P (pass) and yes I did get the necessary gcses
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
I was trying to reply to this I accidentally reported I’m so sorry! And thank you for helping me out with that I was a bit confused but see for now I’m doing level. 2 art and design so i should continue this course until the 2019 September entry right? Or would I just be wasting my year
Reply 12
I got P (pass) and yes I did get the necessary gcses

And is a P sufficient for that course? (I think the answer is no.)
Reply 13
And is a P sufficient for that course? (I think the answer is no.)

But I thought foundation year is for people with no qualifications?
Reply 14
But I thought foundation year is for people with no qualifications?

No. They are for people with either the wrong qualifications or not quite high enough qualifications for entry to the main course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending