The Student Room Group

Hating A levels

So as the title suggests, I’m really not enjoying year 12! I’m taking politics which I love, philosophy and ethics which is pretty good and English lit which I hate. I’ve spoken to my head of year about switching subjects but she said it’s not possible and tbh I have no idea what I would take anyway. I’m struggling so much and just feel so lost...not sure what I want from this post but if anyone has anything to say that would be appreciated 🤗
It's a big step up from GCSEs to A levels and also 6th form which tends to be a bit freer than lower down the school. Is it the books you are studying that you dislike in English Lit or something else?
I loved year 12. I hate year 13. :frown:
Reply 3
But is English lit really that bad? I have a few friends doing it and they say it's chill and that their lovin it.
Original post by Simbasoul
It's a big step up from GCSEs to A levels and also 6th form which tends to be a bit freer than lower down the school. Is it the books you are studying that you dislike in English Lit or something else?

I think it’s partly the books, partly the teaching style and also just not finding it relevant and not understanding much even after speaking to teachers and doing extra work
Original post by Aazaa_
But is English lit really that bad? I have a few friends doing it and they say it's chill and that their lovin it.

I guess your friends must like it...i find it really hard, a lot of work so for me it is pretty bad
Original post by Tamzincovell01
I think it’s partly the books, partly the teaching style and also just not finding it relevant and not understanding much even after speaking to teachers and doing extra work

you can do well in literature exam without understanding well

well at least I did once
Reply 7
I guess your friends must like it...i find it really hard, a lot of work so for me it is pretty bad

were you good at it in the GCSEs?

It is actually the one that is closest to the GCSE in reality - as the processes you use for exploring the text in GCSE are the same at A level - it's just that the actual literature is more in depth and there are more of them! The other two subjects you are doing are very media friendly (in that you are faced with things that are happening every day, discussed in the news etc), maybe try exploring visual media versions of your literature as a starting point? And persevere - it is a bit late in the day to consider dropping and self studying another subject as someone suggested above - missing a whole term is very difficult to catch up on - go and see your main teacher for English and explain how you are feeling - they usually are very responsive to people who are asking for help, in my experience.
Original post by Aazaa_
were you good at it in the GCSEs?

Yeah, I got a 9 which is why I chose it on results day but regret that massively now!
What do you actually want to do with your life?
Original post by Dannyboy2015
What do you actually want to do with your life?

I honestly wish I could answer that...I have absolutely no clue and I guess that’s why I’m struggling so much
Well, that is the first thing you need to figure out, no point doing anything else till you know what you want to do. If worst comes to worst you can always fail out of yr 12 then go to a different sixth form and repeat A-Levels. Which is what I did after getting 3D's and a U. I then moved to a different school and got AABB in year 12. I'm now studying for an Msci in Biochemistry wondering whether or not to do a PhD or a GEM.

Point is, there is still time to decide, even if this year doesn't turn out as expected. So don't worry, but do decide what sort of career path you would like to do. If you don't know then figure out what things you find interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest