The Student Room Group

why do people always use the term 'vegan' to describe someone who doesnt eat meat

do people not know the word vegetarian? i swear like 5 years ago no one knew what a vegan even was and now ppl use it to describe both veganism and vegetarianism, i dont understand
Confused too. I like the work vegan better tho.
A lot of people gain knowledge from other people who have spread misinformation and have no desire to look up reputable sources; in this case the definition of vegan. I know someone who claims to be vegan and eats cheese and another who believes "you can't be vegan because you have to be fed animal products as a child". Some People just believe things by word of mouth and have no desire to see if the claims are true.
Reply 3
Original post by YasudaSayo
do people not know the word vegetarian? i swear like 5 years ago no one knew what a vegan even was and now ppl use it to describe both veganism and vegetarianism, i dont understand

No, they don't.
Reply 4
Original post by Ciel.
No, they don't.

+1

I don't know a single person that makes this mistake.
I thought it was pretty common knowledge for anyone inbetween 14-75 that vegitarian = no meat, vegan = no animal products at all

The only people I have ever seen get confused by it are the elderly.
Reply 6
No they don't.

Vegetarians eat eggs, drink milk and spread butter.

Vegans don't.
I have literally never seen this once. I think everyone knows the difference between veganism and vegetarianism? :erm:
Reply 8
I think what OP has witnessed perhaps is more 'vegetarians' have become 'vegans' over the years.
I have a friend who has just turned "vegan" and yet she's just not careful with what she eats at all. Now, don't get me wrong, she can eat whatever she wants.. but don't preach about being vegan if you're not doing it properly. She's not even doing it properly as she eats cheese and ham quiche (as an example) which has at least 5 non-vegan ingredients and even one non-veggie, yet she preaches on social media about eating piglets and destroying the planet and all manner of nonsense.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I have a friend who has just turned "vegan" and yet she's just not careful with what she eats at all. Now, don't get me wrong, she can eat whatever she wants.. but don't preach about being vegan if you're not doing it properly. She's not even doing it properly as she eats cheese and ham quiche (as an example) which has at least 5 non-vegan ingredients and even one non-veggie, yet she preaches on social media about eating piglets and destroying the planet and all manner of nonsense.

My ex had a friend who we'd often invite out sometimes (and by "we", I mean she) and oh My God she made Me cringe so much. You have no idea how hard it was for Me to keep My mouth shut every damn time.

She claimed to be vegetarian and was really big on this, wouldn't shut up about it. Really preachy. But.. she ate fish. I tried explaining to her one day that she's a pescetarian and not a vegetarian but it was just causing an argument in public making My ex uncomfortable so I just bit My tongue. God damn I was fleshy sack of festering simmering repressed pure Hellfire rage every time that damn girl went out with us. With a smile on My face.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

No offense but I wonder whether your friend is someone who is driven entirely to appear virtuous rather than to actually be virtuous? If so, I also wonder how one manages to be friends with such a fake person. I could never do it.
Original post by awkwardshortguy
No offense but I wonder whether your friend is someone who is driven entirely to appear virtuous rather than to actually be virtuous? If so, I also wonder how one manages to be friends with such a fake person. I could never do it.

Haha, actually, when I said "friend", I can't stand the girl. She's one of those who you sort of can't admit you don't like, but actually you want to punch her in the face every time she comes near you.

But I agree with you. She does everything for the sake of what it looks like to other people. Like, if you look at social media she's always posting lovely things to her partner and kids - but they all hate the fact she's on her phone all the time (literally all the time) and they feel like she loves a device more than them.. it causes major issues, yet look at her Facebook and you would think they were the perfect family, madly in love with each other.

She also uses people a lot. She always used to invite me out shopping and for coffee etc, and now she's got her own car she doesn't. I mean literally, she's never invited me out since she passed her test. So she was clearly just using me for a lift rather than for the company!

Quick Reply

Latest