The Student Room Group

Fraud -I got Oofed.

I've already sent private messages to some people on the forum for help, but I would like to hear from everybody.
(Im 16)

So I got persuaded onto giving my bank account to my "friends" to do fraud. At the end of the day I didn't get anything from it.
The bank account got closed and the bank(Barclays) will not act as my banker anymore.
I fully regret being naiive, but now that it's gone, what can I do?
Will I be able to open an account with another bank?
Will the closure of my account effect my family's accounts?
If anything send a pm for further information.

I really got Oofed lmao im such a dumbass ;c
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
banging deetz been around for time, your fault for doing it, banks easily clock on now especially if its been done by a random neek.

everything financial in your name is ****ed g, have fun going to uni and buying a house...
Original post by IgotOOfed
I've already sent private messages to some people on the forum for help, but I would like to hear from everybody.
(Im 16)

So I got persuaded onto giving my bank account to my "friends" to do fraud. At the end of the day I didn't get anything from it.
The bank account got closed and the bank(Barclays) will not act as my banker anymore.
I fully regret being naiive, but now that it's gone, what can I do?
Will I be able to open an account with another bank?
Will the closure of my account effect my family's accounts?
If anything send a pm for further information.

I really got Oofed lmao im such a dumbass ;c

You probably have a CIFAS marker now. You were complicit in fraud.

Good luck getting anything other than a basic bank account, and I doubt you'll even get a student overdraft anymore should you wish to go to university.
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
You probably have a CIFAS marker now. You were complicit in fraud.

Good luck getting anything other than a basic bank account, and I doubt you'll even get a student overdraft anymore should you wish to go to university.

that isn't very helping, but I guess I'll take that
Reply 4
Original post by abdelismail31
lol.
just lol.

you man are not helping, I said I regret it already ffs
Reply 5
you man are not helping, I said I regret it already ffs

what are we supposed to do? banks cant remove it.
Reply 6
Original post by eez
what are we supposed to do? banks cant remove it.

I'm asking what I'm supposed to do.
Reply 7
I'm asking what I'm supposed to do.

deal with it idk
Reply 10
what do I do with this?

make a subject access request to see if its a cifas marker
Reply 11
Original post by Reue
make a subject access request to see if its a cifas marker

I need to make a subject access request to check if I got a cifas marker?
How do I do that?I looked into the website but found everything confusing,thanks anyways :smile:
I need to make a subject access request to check if I got a cifas marker?
How do I do that?I looked into the website but found everything confusing,thanks anyways :smile:

The "subject access request" is a request to CIFAS to provide you with the information they hold about you.

The easiest way appears to be for you to click on the link on that page to get the "downloadable Data Subject Access Request form".

Print out that form, fill it in, and send it to CIFAS with appropriate documents to prove your identity.
Damn you really are oofed. I suggest going all out now and committing identity theft for a new card :smile:
Original post by eez
banging deetz been around for time, your fault for doing it, banks easily clock on now especially if its been done by a random neek.

everything financial in your name is ****ed g, have fun going to uni and buying a house...

Don't be so harsh. He's only 16 years old. Many 16 year olds do dumb things especially for the prospect of easy money and are not aware that their bank account will get closed or of fraud markers or not being able to get a mortgage etc. Some of those who coerce the younger and vulnerable into it just say it's a simple harmless "bank transfer", these are fraudsters for a living who know how to trick people.

OP you can still go to university and you can still get paid student finance, you will just have to use an online bank now like Monzo or Pockit. You will have your own sort code and account number so can still get your job wages and student finance paid into it. Student finance do not look at CIFAS markers you just need a sort code and account number.

As for a mortgage (a house) a CIFAS marker lasts for 6 years, so you will be 22 when it is removed and at that age you won't be applying for a mortgage. Very few people are in the financial positions to obtain a mortgage fresh out of uni.

You won't be able to have an overdraft though. Not sure about credit cards. You will have to be wise with your money using a debit card.
Way to generalise. If the OP knew that it was fraud and that he would be stealing other people's hard earned money then he deserves the repercussions and I don't feel sorry for him. However looking at these many money muling stories it appears that most of them simply think that it's a harmless bank transfer and are not aware that it's fraud. Either way they've learned their lesson now.
Reply 16
Hi, I'm the so-called OP, yes, I am 16 years old and old enough to know what is wrong and what is right, but the ones that tricked me were friends of mine, people that I considered as friends, who I trusted.
I know I did wrong, and I wish I could just go back in time, I regret all of this, and in 2 years im gonna go to uni(hopefully) and idk how im gonna do that without a bank account, I haven't tried opening a basic account with other banks for personal reasons, but once I try I will really seek for help, I still get e-mails when people reply to my thread, but there hasn't been a reply in 3 weeks :smile:

Thank you anyways, if there's something I still need to know, please tell me :smile:
Some people are more naive or easily duped/tricked than others. It's as simple as that. What's done is done. What OP needs to focus on now is staying away from these bad influences and focusing on his education.
Reply 18
Original post by bubblelicious
Some people are more naive or easily duped/tricked than others. It's as simple as that. What's done is done. What OP needs to focus on now is staying away from these bad influences and focusing on his education.

thank you man for everything, I will try my best to get the most out of my education for my kids to not go through this, thank you man, wish you all the best in life :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by bubblelicious
Don't be so harsh. He's only 16 years old. Many 16 year olds do dumb things especially for the prospect of easy money and are not aware that their bank account will get closed or of fraud markers or not being able to get a mortgage etc. Some of those who coerce the younger and vulnerable into it just say it's a simple harmless "bank transfer", these are fraudsters for a living who know how to trick people.

OP you can still go to university and you can still get paid student finance, you will just have to use an online bank now like Monzo or Pockit. You will have your own sort code and account number so can still get your job wages and student finance paid into it. Student finance do not look at CIFAS markers you just need a sort code and account number.

As for a mortgage (a house) a CIFAS marker lasts for 6 years, so you will be 22 when it is removed and at that age you won't be applying for a mortgage. Very few people are in the financial positions to obtain a mortgage fresh out of uni.

You won't be able to have an overdraft though. Not sure about credit cards. You will have to be wise with your money using a debit card.

Being 16 isn't an excuse lmfao, cmon, if someone is offering you free money and you're deadass dumb enough to be like "haha yea this sounds legitimate!" somethings wrong...

Latest

Trending

Trending