The Student Room Group

Scotland should pay for brexit

I think it is only fair since they do not want to help us, we can start by withdrawing the devolved powers and introducing tuition fees in line with England. Then we can have real equality, it is about time the Scots paid their way to have their say instead of freeloading off the intellectual giant that is Westminster.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe we should build a wall, and make the Scots pay for it. :bricks:
Well, we couldn't withdraw the devolved powers, could we? Because they were voted in by referendum and according to the Brexit lot once a referendum has occurred that issue is a done deal, even if the circumstances have changed.
We should never have devolved any power, but yes Scotland and Wales really need to start actually paying their fair share, including prescriptions and unis
Reply 4
I've always found this prescription fees and uni thing a bit of an odd one for people from England to obsess over.

The reality is that Scotland already pays for the Scottish Government's policies in these areas. In terms of prescription fees, that's tens of millions of pounds taken out of Scotland's NHS budget every year that could be better spent. And for what? Saving a few quid here and there? The most anyone needs to pay for prescriptions in England is £104 a year - if you're not covered by one of the multitude of exemptions, you get a prepayment certificate. You can even get it on installments and get a refund if you only want to partially use it.

By not charging tuition fees, the Scottish Government maintains a cap on students that was abolished in England - a cap that results in fewer university places for Scottish-resident students, meaning that universities in Scotland can close courses to Scottish applicants while still accepting applicants from the rest of the UK. The effect of this on access to university is clear: a lower proportion of people from poor backgrounds make it to uni in Scotland.

Every penny of the cost of abolishing the old graduate endowment in Scotland has been more than absorbed in cuts to student support. Yes, you leave uni with less debt in Scotland, but you can very easily repay more. Scottish student loans are on the old Plan 1 system: the repayment threshold is about £18,000 (for Plan 2, it's £25k) and it takes longer to get wiped-out under some schemes. So if you're a low earner, you can end up paying far more even if your theoretical student debt is lower.

These are not good policies to follow; they're not even helpful.
Yes
Original post by tashkent46
I think it is only fair since they do not want to help us, we can start by withdrawing the devolved powers and introducing tuition fees in line with England. Then we can have real equality, it is about time the Scots paid their way to have their say instead of freeloading off the intellectual giant that is Westminster.

Ah yes, blame the region that voted against brexit to pay for the mistakes of a region that voted for it. Seems logical.

"They" are paying because we (The UK) are leaving the EU. You seem to be mixing up the UK and England. No wonder Brexit is screwed up when people can't even get the basics of internal geography correct.
Original post by ByEeek
"They" are paying because we (The UK) are leaving the EU. You seem to be mixing up the UK and England. No wonder Brexit is screwed up when people can't even get the basics of internal geography correct.

I don't believe he is, I think he's not confused at all. I think he is referencing the barnett formula how the Scots are willing to take inequality when it suits them but not when it doesn't.
Reply 9

Will you reduce my income tax bill in line with the rest of the UK too?
BTW guys we don't know how much its going to cost yet, if anything because we don't know what's going to happen
Reply 11
Original post by Burton Bridge
I don't believe he is, I think he's not confused at all. I think he is referencing the barnett formula how the Scots are willing to take inequality when it suits them but not when it doesn't.

Surely the whole point of the formula is to ensure equal change in public spending?
Reply 12
Original post by AperfectBalance
We should never have devolved any power, but yes Scotland and Wales really need to start actually paying their fair share, including prescriptions and unis

Who is this 'we'?
Original post by Quady
Who is this 'we'?

I'm disappointed my troll post didn't inflame tensions to the extent I desired. Back to the drawing board.
Reply 14
Original post by Quady

Yes, close to my heart this morning when I submitted my Self Assessment return with the extra £400 I paid due to the lower basic rate theshold re earned income. re 2017/2018

For current year the higher rate differential is on £2,920 @20% (34,500-31,580) being £584 plus an extra 1% on £19,430 ( 31,580-12,150) so also £194.30 re that, total extra current year £778.30 income tax on the same income as someone in rUK.
Original post by Quady

Our income tax bill has already been significantly reduced since 2000 when I started working. But of course, if you want it reducing further you can lobby government or stand on the promise of reducing taxes. Isn't that what politics is about?
Reply 16
Original post by ByEeek
Our income tax bill has already been significantly reduced since 2000 when I started working. But of course, if you want it reducing further you can lobby government or stand on the promise of reducing taxes. Isn't that what politics is about?

The point was more that some taxpayers in Scotland pay more tax than their rest of UK peers earnings the same salary/profit.
Reply 17
Original post by ByEeek

huh?
I was just checking that under tashkent46's proposal I'd get the benefits of the income tax cut.
Surely I could just support their lobbying or platform?
Original post by DJKL
The point was more that some taxpayers in Scotland pay more tax than their rest of UK peers earnings the same salary/profit.

They are welcome to come and work in England and benefit. Or they could lobby their SNPs to pay less tax. But frankly I would rather have the free prescriptions and social care.
For 2000 years of missing rent, for their using land glorious England owns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending