The Student Room Group

How to avoid parents evening

My parents evenings have always been good. Until I came to 6th form, I really want to avoid parents evening with my parents this coming Thursday but they already sent an email out to parents notifying them that parents evening is this Thursday. How to avoid my parents going because my grades during the mock exams were not the best and my parents have a tendency to over react. PLEASE HELP! I don’t want my parents to go because my teachers will probably tell them things that’ll make me sound bad
(edited 5 years ago)
Don't go yourself?
Just get your parents to go?
Personally I've always thought it was stupid that 6th form have to go to parents evening. They spend all their time going on about how you're responsible for your studies, you need to take control, nobody is going to force you to study, and make a big deal of treating you like an adult, calling tutors by first names, being allowed off site etc etc.. and then they bring your parents in. Because I'm a September birthday, my Y13 parents evening was when I was an actual legal adult, and they still made me bring my mum and dad!!

Anyway. They will find out. If you don't take them, chances are they'll write to them or email anyway. Just talk to them about it. Mocks aren't the end of the world anyway, and there's plenty of time to improve :smile:.
This is probably bad advice (actually I am sure it is), just do something worse to get their mind off it.

When I had a similar situation, I told them I smoked once due to peer pressure (all lies). They blew their tops off and I had a good three hour scolding session. They didnt go to the meet at least.

They found out by calling the school later and it wasn't even as bad I was expecting. I heard worse for false smoking smh
Original post by Ladymell
My parents evenings have always been good. Until I came to 6th form, I really want to avoid parents evening with my parents this coming Thursday but they already sent an email out to parents notifying them that parents evening is this Thursday. How to avoid my parents going because my grades during the mock exams were not the best and my parents have a tendency to over react. PLEASE HELP! I don’t want my parents to go because my teachers will probably tell them things that’ll make me sound bad

If they haven't seen the email then go onto their email account and delete it. Then go to the blocklist and add all your teachers/school's email address so they never get emails from the school again :biggrin:
Reply 5
They have seen the email but would it be still a good idea to block the school
Isn’t the whole point of parents evening so that your parents know how well your doing? If you don’t think you did well then shouldn’t your parents already know?
Reply 7
they already know my performance in school. They just have outbursts when they hear it from teachers
they already know my performance in school. They just have outbursts when they hear it from teachers

I suggest you just try and get on the teachers good side: talk to them about how to improve, get practice papers from them etc. That should make it better
You could either go yourself or warn them in advance that what they're going to hear probably won't be the best.
I know someone whos parents cant speak english so at parents evening, they have to translate what the teacher says to their parents and changes all the bad things the teacher says to good things. Unfortunately that wouldnt work for you.
Reply 11
I don’t want my parents to go because my teachers will probably tell them things that’ll make me sound bad

Translation: I've been underperforming this term and I don't want my parents to find out

tell them there is no need for you to go I'll tell you what you need to know :tongue:

Here's what you do, spend all your evenings from now until the parents evening working (NOT revising but doing assignments) then when it comes to the thursday evening tell your parents you have too much work to spare an evening they will be pleased with your work ethic and so will the teachers.Hope this helps
Original post by UWS
Translation: I've been underperforming this term and I don't want my parents to find out

Surely it's better to go to defend yourself? Teachers can't exaggerate if you are there ... work hard on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as well :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Muttley79
Surely it's better to go to defend yourself? Teachers can't exaggerate if you are there ... work hard on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as well :smile:

I feel teachers say exactly how it is when it comes to grades. It's hard to defend yourself against low marks :tongue:

Though when it comes to behaviour that can be debatable.

hide another woman's bra in your parent's room make sure your mom sees it i guarantee you'll have at least one less parent going
Original post by UWS
I feel teachers say exactly how it is when it comes to grades. It's hard to defend yourself against low marks :tongue:

Though when it comes to behaviour that can be debatable.

Yes - I would be honest but emphasis potential if there are changes ... not point in 'rubbishing' students imho.
@Ladymell

I have parents evening on Thursday 😭 I'm in year 11.

I've been concentrating in maths for like 3 weeks then for 1 week I was messing around what shall I do would they bring that up

also for IT my mum n dad chose it and I don't do the Coursework because I don't have a laptop but I do it lessons so I get at least half of it done

Latest

Trending

Trending