The Student Room Group

Difference between physical geography and geology

I’m a year 10 international student and is going to do an equivalent to gcse next year. I do take geography now and i’m not sure if i should take geography for A level. I recently came across this article on geology and it sparked my interest. Please enlighten me on the differences between geology and physical geography and if possible, the usefulness of geography at A level if i were to pursue a degree in geology.
Original post by Qh902130
I’m a year 10 international student and is going to do an equivalent to gcse next year. I do take geography now and i’m not sure if i should take geography for A level. I recently came across this article on geology and it sparked my interest. Please enlighten me on the differences between geology and physical geography and if possible, the usefulness of geography at A level if i were to pursue a degree in geology.

Physical geography concentrates more on the Earth's surface and atmosphere, and looks mainly at physical landforms, features and the processes that shape/control them. Geology differs in that it looks directly at the components that make up the earth, including rocks and minerals, and features and processes which occur below the surface. Both subjects overlap in some areas such as plate tectonics and natural hazards, but the major distinction is that physical geography deals more with the surface and external processes (e.g. atmospheric circulation, mountains, oceans, deserts), whereas geology deals more with the subsurface, its composition and internal earth processes (e.g. rocks, minerals, fossils, formation of oil and gas, melting of rocks to produce magma etc).

Geography is definitely helpful for a geology degree; it covers some of the topics dealt with in geology and also provides experince in essay writing, which is a necessary skill in geology :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
Physical geography concentrates more on the Earth's surface and atmosphere, and looks mainly at physical landforms, features and the processes that shape/control them. Geology differs in that it looks directly at the components that make up the earth, including rocks and minerals, and features and processes which occur below the surface. Both subjects overlap in some areas such as plate tectonics and natural hazards, but the major distinction is that physical geography deals more with the surface and external processes (e.g. atmospheric circulation, mountains, oceans, deserts), whereas geology deals more with the subsurface, its composition and internal earth processes (e.g. rocks, minerals, fossils, formation of oil and gas, melting of rocks to produce magma etc).

Geography is definitely helpful for a geology degree; it covers some of the topics dealt with in geology and also provides experince in essay writing, which is a necessary skill in geology :smile:

Thanks for your reply! :smile: are you doing a degree in geology or geography? If yes, which university?
Thanks for your reply! :smile: are you doing a degree in geology or geography? If yes, which university?

Yes! I'm studying BSc Geoscience at Keele University :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Leviathan1741
Yes! I'm studying BSc Geoscience at Keele University :smile:

That’s cool! Is there any specific topics of geology that you find interesting? Would like to start reading on some but don’t know where to start from
That’s cool! Is there any specific topics of geology that you find interesting? Would like to start reading on some but don’t know where to start from

I would recommend becoming familiar with the rock cycle, the three classifications of rock and how to distinguish between them, and major breakthroughs in geology such as plate tectonics. Personally my favourite topics are natural hazards like earthquakes and volcanoes, and planetary geology :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending