The Student Room Group

Didn't get into my top choice uni

I just found out my application for my top uni has been unsuccessful, I'm gutted as hell and it's been really putting my mood down. However, I have an unconditional offer from my 2nd choice uni but I'm still super annoyed that I didn't manage to get into the uni I desperately wanted to go to. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so how did you guys deal with it?

Thanks. :smile:
Original post by nimakia
I just found out my application for my top uni has been unsuccessful, I'm gutted as hell and it's been really putting my mood down. However, I have an unconditional offer from my 2nd choice uni but I'm still super annoyed that I didn't manage to get into the uni I desperately wanted to go to. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so how did you guys deal with it?

Which uni?
If it matters that much then get the grades and reapply next year.
Also get feedback.
Reply 2
I didn't either, but while it hurt at first, I felt a lot better after giving it a few days.

Think on the positive side: You've got *an* offer, and that is above a large proportion of the country. To be honest, the more I've thought about my 2nd and 3rd choice Unis, the more I've warmed to it. To be honest, I actually feel more positive about them now than my first choice.

It's annoying when you get a rejection but just remember that there isn't a large difference between the institutions. You'll do great wherever you go. Just stay positive! :smile:
Original post by nimakia

You must have known when you applied there that it was a risky choice, but if you hadn't applied you would have always wondered "what if" you could have got a place there. This way, you know the answer to that question but you shouldn't regret having made one aspirational choice. You are very fortunate to have an unconditional offer from your 2nd choice, and that probably means you can start choosing your accomodation because you and they both know that you are definitely going there. Once you have got your head around it, you will be fine with going to your second choice Uni, but naturally you are feeling a bit fed up right now.
I didn't get into my dream uni and ended up going to my insurance which meant moving from Northern Ireland to Liverpool, I was gutted at first but then told myself I'm still going to uni and I'm going to do well and make the most of it. I am now in my final year and have an place at the dream uni to do my masters! My lecturers actually discouraged us from staying at the same uni to do a masters, if you have the chance to do them in 2 difference places it's good and shows you can adapt!

Good luck with wherever you end up!
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Which uni?
If it matters that much then get the grades and reapply next year.
Also get feedback.

Rejected from arts uni bournemouth, I'm now going to solent southampton which is really similar, only difference was that the course at AUB seemed slightly better and the city seemed way cooler and fun.
Original post by nimakia
Rejected from arts uni bournemouth, I'm now going to solent southampton which is really similar, only difference was that the course at AUB seemed slightly better and the city seemed way cooler and fun.

Did you get feedback or was it obvious why rejected?
Work really hard and focus on exams, you might get other chances if you do well.
The time to think about it is not now, but after the exams.
If you feel Bournemouth is what you want then its worth considering a gap or using clearing. Dont go to Solent unless you are 100% sure. Talk to people on the course.

There are many hundreds of courses in clearing. If you did really well you can use extra.
My friend got rejected from all but one of her choices, so don't feel too bad lol
Original post by Snfkin
My friend got rejected from all but one of her choices, so don't feel too bad lol

wowo that must have been devastating :eek:
Original post by Snfkin

out of pure interest, what course?
Reply 10
You have an unconditional from your second. You are lucky. Rejection hurts, you're allowed to grieve a bit but don't let it make you bitter. You risk sounding extremely arrogant, as if that uni owed you something
Original post by LA97
You have an unconditional from your second. You are lucky. Rejection hurts, you're allowed to grieve a bit but don't let it make you bitter. You risk sounding extremely arrogant, as if that uni owed you something

Not at all, it's natural to be disappointed to get rejected from your first choice
Agree with harry and not seeing any arrogance from the OP just a normal reaction. they even explain the reasons why.
My advice in #8 remains good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending