The Student Room Group

Four A Levels for Cambridge?

I was talking to some other prospective medical students, and they seemed to think that if your school offers 4 A Levels, then you should take 4 if you want to get into Cambrige (especially if you go to private school.) Is this true? I've also heard about some non medics getting 3 A level offers from Cambridge so they have the freedom to drop at anytime, but this isn't a thing for medics apparently- if you apply with four, your offer is for 4 A Levels.
Reply 1
you definately don't need 4 to get in! four could actually weaken your chances as a levels are difficult and you don't want to spread yourself too thin.

i can't speak for what offer you'll get, but i know someone who got into cambridge who's doing 4 a levels, but his offer only specified 3.
Reply 2
Friend of mine at my school (private) does 3 A-levels (maths chem bio), could've easily done further maths as a 4th but doesn't, and she has an offer for medicine at Cambridge.
So uhh I don't know what these prospective students are on about.
Original post by stress-eating
I was talking to some other prospective medical students, and they seemed to think that if your school offers 4 A Levels, then you should take 4 if you want to get into Cambrige (especially if you go to private school.) Is this true? I've also heard about some non medics getting 3 A level offers from Cambridge so they have the freedom to drop at anytime, but this isn't a thing for medics apparently- if you apply with four, your offer is for 4 A Levels.

You can't drop an A level that's on your UCAS form without letting unis know - they can then withdraw offers.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Most offers will only be 3 A-Level offers. If they feel your fourth subject may help or you are a weaker candidate they may give you a 4 A-Level offer but it is by no means a requirement to get in.
Original post by stress-eating

If u r a straight 9 student take four, people honestly hype up the difficulty and in my school at least 80 take four and 20 get like 2 a stars and 2 as
Original post by jonathanjames
If u r a straight 9 student take four, people honestly hype up the difficulty and in my school at least 80 take four and 20 get like 2 a stars and 2 as

Not really. Cambridge only requires three. A four is unnecessary. Three A* is more than necessary
Original post by Professional G
Not really. Cambridge only requires three. A four is unnecessary. Three A* is more than necessary

They're obviously going to differentiate between 3 a stars and 4 a stars with two identical candidates, and you're more than likely going to go up against ppl with the same profile as u
Original post by jonathanjames
They're obviously going to differentiate between 3 a stars and 4 a stars with two identical candidates, and you're more than likely going to go up against ppl with the same profile as u

You do know when you meet their requirements, they won’t care for grades anymore. They will need something that singles out you from the rest. This can come in from achievements, personal statement or from your interview. There are people here who have gotten 4 A* but have rejected pre interview and there’s people who have gotten the minimal requirements for the same course and have been invited to interview
I found that because my GCSEs weren’t exceptional taking four counteracted the slight negative pull of them. I now have a four a level offer for medicine. But make sure that if you do, you are aware that the work load might actually kill you!! It almost has for me!
Reply 10
Doing maths, and further maths combined with two sciences for natural sciences or medicine would help in my opinion.
Original post by Deggs_14
Doing maths, and further maths combined with two sciences for natural sciences or medicine would help in my opinion.

From what I’ve seen, taking maths chemistry and bio along with a contrasting subject seems to work quite well. I take psychology, but I’ve seen a lot of people with languages be successful.
It is worth noting that chances of receiving an offer with a contrasting subject are significantly lower then with maths or physics if you 9nly take 3 a-levels!
Original post by sotor
you definately don't need 4 to get in! four could actually weaken your chances as a levels are difficult and you don't want to spread yourself too thin.

i can't speak for what offer you'll get, but i know someone who got into cambridge who's doing 4 a levels, but his offer only specified 3.

Do you know what subject they do and what college they applied to? Some colleges make an offer based on the forth A - level and some don't. So I'm trying to figure out which ones don't so I can apply to those colleges because I want to do 4 A-levels without it decreasing my chance of getting in (in case I don't meet the offer solely because of the 4th subject - assuming I meet it for the other 3).
Reply 13
Original post by marshmallowy
Do you know what subject they do and what college they applied to? Some colleges make an offer based on the forth A - level and some don't. So I'm trying to figure out which ones don't so I can apply to those colleges because I want to do 4 A-levels without it decreasing my chance of getting in (in case I don't meet the offer solely because of the 4th subject - assuming I meet it for the other 3).

natural sciences at downing, they gave him conditions for chem phys and further maths but not maths so offer was A*A*A)
Original post by username3983032
I found that because my GCSEs weren’t exceptional taking four counteracted the slight negative pull of them. I now have a four a level offer for medicine. But make sure that if you do, you are aware that the work load might actually kill you!! It almost has for me!

What were your GCSE's and what offer did you need to meet?
Did you take Maths, Biology, Chemistry and physics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending