The Student Room Group

Well, this will be fun...

Dia duit mo chara (hello my friend)
My name is Ailís and I'm a year 12 in Northern Ireland (ie, last year of GCSEs)
We all know GCSEs are such great fun (not!), so I thought I'd document my journey
My predicted grades are:
Irish A
Maths A*
Geography A*
Music A
Double award science AA
Further maths A
English language A*
English lit A* (all ccea)
Religious Studies 8/9 (aqa)
I really want to do physics, maths, geography and Irish at A-level and eventually I want to do Geophysics with Meteorology at uni (I've wanted to be a meteorologist since I was 8 lol).
I also struggle with mental health issues (which I'll probably explain in the future) which is why I need this space to vent
So yeah, this is gonna be my venting platform for the next wee while so we'll see how that goes.
Ta, Ailís
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck for your GCSEs. Hopefully you'll get your predicted grades and take the subjects you want at A-Level.
Reply 2
Original post by madsfilms
Good luck for your GCSEs. Hopefully you'll get your predicted grades and take the subjects you want at A-Level.

Thank you!
You do GCSE's in Y12?
Reply 4
Original post by Malik Larter
You do GCSE's in Y12?

In northern Ireland gcses are taken across year 11+12, so ur 14 at the start of year 11 and 16 by the end of year 12. Pretty sure that's the same as yrs 10/11 in the rest of UK??
Reply 5
I'm in hell, also known as mocks week
So, right now I'm actually in the middle of my mocks week! It started last Wednesday and ends on Tuesday.
I'm pretty confident with how they've all went so far.
I still have English language, literature and chemistry to go but these should be fine, *fingers crossed lol*
Wee bit worried about how music went though. At the moment it's the one thing that I'm not sure if I'll get an A in at the end of the year (and it was meant to be my easy one!!). I just don't know how to revise it because it's not note taking and learning like everything else I do. Any advice?
Also, I don't know how I've done in religion. It's a subject I tend to "waffle" my way through so I can never work out how well I've done until I get the results. My teacher expects me to do really good cause I got 96% and 100% in the tests I've done so far this year but I'm still panicking.
I guess I hold myself to really high standards though, so watch out for the inevitable breakdown that's gonna come when I get a B in something!!! 😖
Ta, Ailís
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Interesting. They use the English GCSE for your RS specification?
céad míle fáilte mo mhuirnín

:h:
Reply 8
dia daoibh (hello) (hope I got that spelling right, it's been a while).

Subbing as I'm Northern Irish too :lol: Although I'm old and left NI for uni :lol:

AQA RE was such a doss! What is CCEA English Lit like? We did AQA English Lit, just before the changes.
Reply 9
Original post by Tolgarda

Ya, I think it's cause they can do a unit on "Catholic Christianity" with aqa but not with ccea (I go to an all girl's catholic school, which, as you can imagine, is a ton of fun)
Reply 10

AQA RE is way easy that CCEA (NI) RE. But for A Level, most schools in NI use CCEA, if not all schools as CCEA still allows exams over the 2 years for A Level.
Reply 11
Original post by Airmed
dia daoibh (hello) (hope I got that spelling right, it's been a while).

Subbing as I'm Northern Irish too :lol: Although I'm old and left NI for uni :lol:

AQA RE was such a doss! What is CCEA English Lit like? We did AQA English Lit, just before the changes.

Dia is Muire duit lol!
Ccea English lit is just a ton of memorising quotes and essays and hoping for the best not gonna lie.
I did Of Mice and Men as my novel last year and this year Im doing Philadelphia Here I Come and the conflict anthology for poetry
Where did u go for uni? I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh
Original post by phyf
Ya, I think it's cause they can do a unit on "Catholic Christianity" with aqa but not with ccea (I go to an all girl's catholic school, which, as you can imagine, is a ton of fun)

Ah, I go to a Catholic school. :smile: We did the AQA B specification. I was just curious.

Original post by Airmed
AQA RE is way easy that CCEA (NI) RE. But for A Level, most schools in NI use CCEA, if not all schools as CCEA still allows exams over the 2 years for A Level.

Really? AQA is way easier? How come?
Reply 13
Original post by Airmed

I find that aqa is a lot easier for most GCSE subjects, but I deliberately picked subjects for a level that I can do ccea in because I don't like their system for alevel. My ma wants me to do psychology instead of Irish but after I explained the different exam system she understood why I didn't want to do it
Reply 14
Original post by phyf
Dia is Muire duit lol!
Ccea English lit is just a ton of memorising quotes and essays and hoping for the best not gonna lie.
I did Of Mice and Men as my novel last year and this year Im doing Philadelphia Here I Come and the conflict anthology for poetry
Where did u go for uni? I'm hoping to go to Edinburgh

well that does not sound fun at all :frown:

Of Mice and Men was alright. Did any idiot ruin it for the class when you started it? I did relationships anthology for poetry, that was terrible.

I went to Dundee :smile: Studied Politics. Now in the civil service.

P.S. also went to a mixed Catholic grammar school, so I know the struggles :lol:
Reply 15

Aqa follows the English curriculum which isnt as "intense" as the northern Irish one, so it has to be easier
Reply 16
Ah, I go to a Catholic school. :smile: We did the AQA B specification. I was just curious.

I think CCEA just like to torture people unnecessarily :lol: just seemed way easier to get my A* in English Lit than in English Language.

Original post by phyf
I find that aqa is a lot easier for most GCSE subjects, but I deliberately picked subjects for a level that I can do ccea in because I don't like their system for alevel. My ma wants me to do psychology instead of Irish but after I explained the different exam system she understood why I didn't want to do it

I was gonna do Irish for A Level but went for Politics instead :lol: Stick with CCEA, you won't regret it. 4 or 3 A Levels? I did 4 at AS and dropped to 3 before A2 because of mental health.
Reply 17
Original post by Airmed
well that does not sound fun at all :frown:

Of Mice and Men was alright. Did any idiot ruin it for the class when you started it? I did relationships anthology for poetry, that was terrible.

I went to Dundee :smile: Studied Politics. Now in the civil service.

P.S. also went to a mixed Catholic grammar school, so I know the struggles :lol:

I think our teacher ruined OMaM for us lol but my friends and I had already read it and all thought it was a terrible book
Also catholic schools suck but its also a grammar school so I gotta stick it out
Reply 18
Original post by phyf
I think our teacher ruined OMaM for us lol but my friends and I had already read it and all thought it was a terrible book
Also catholic schools suck but its also a grammar school so I gotta stick it out

It's not that great, is it?

Yup, I felt the same. My school made us feel that anything lower that a A was crap
Reply 19
Original post by Airmed
I was gonna do Irish for A Level but went for Politics instead :lol: Stick with CCEA, you won't regret it. 4 or 3 A Levels? I did 4 at AS and dropped to 3 before A2 because of mental health.

I'm doing 4 for AS (maths physics geography and Irish) and working from there. If I drop one it's gonna have to be Irish but I love the subject so I'm gonna try stick with 4 for as long as possible (also just incase I change my mind and go down south)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending