The Student Room Group

What do people think of the hot weather?

Been 20 degrees celcius for the last few days near I am, similar weather across the country. do you think it really is caused by "global warming"?

I am inclined to say yes, (climate change) but at the same time my arguments for against this are clear

1) Weather like this has been had in February before (14th February 1998) and February 1972.

2) Scientists/meterologists have found no known link apart from the fact that these jetstreams that cause these tempreatures are to be more common

People say "well this time last year we had beast from the east". But that was a jetstream too, just a cold one. So that is hardly normal weather either.

Opinions, please
Reply 1
One side effect of climate change is more severe extremes of weather.

This just happens to be a pleasant extreme.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
One side effect of climate change is more severe extremes of weather.

This just happens to be a pleasant extreme.

I usually prefer snow but have wanted hot weather for a while but okay
They're saying "we" caused climate change. So what do we do? Put down our phones? Scrap our planes? Stop driving? Yeah sure :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by hello_shawn
They're saying "we" caused climate change. So what do we do? Put down our phones? Scrap our planes? Stop driving? Yeah sure :rolleyes:

I stand by my opinion that the best way to control climate change is to control the birth rate. It's not so much the west, we are actually very good at managing climate change, I'm looking at you India, basically the entire african continent too.
This sort of weather is perfect. Nice and sunny, pleasantly warm where I am. I hate the actual hot weather though, just makes me feel ill. I used to love it when I was a bit younger but I can't hack it any more.
Reply 6
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
This sort of weather is perfect. Nice and sunny, pleasantly warm where I am. I hate the actual hot weather though, just makes me feel ill. I used to love it when I was a bit younger but I can't hack it any more.

No I like hot weather, I like it around 27 degrees/early to mid thirties, in fact the weather last summer was perfect. This sort of weather isn't bad either. Anything below 16 degrees feels too chilly.

Not sure about where you are, but where I am the mornings are pretty cold, usually frost around 1-2 degrees.

Do you think the weather is something to be concerned about though?
I prefer the cold cos I swear a lot and get hot easily. Am also incredibly pale so get burnt
Reply 8
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
This weather is perfect: clear sky, sunshine, yet not stifling. It may be due to global warming, though I’d refrain from making such claims until evidence proves this. Bear in mind that climate can fluctuate naturally, summers in medieval Europe were on average warmer than modern day summers, for instance.

I think using the term "global warming" is misleading; climate change is the better term. The world may be increasing in tempreature, (by a degree) but climate change can cause weather extremes, cold and hot
Original post by CoolCavy
I prefer the cold cos I swear a lot and get hot easily. Am also incredibly pale so get burnt

I've never noticed you to swear at all! You've always been very mild-mannered. =P
Reply 10
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I've never noticed you to swear at all! You've always been very mild-mannered. =P

think he ment sweat
Reply 11
Original post by ap.ferro
No I like hot weather, I like it around 27 degrees/early to mid thirties, in fact the weather last summer was perfect. This sort of weather isn't bad either. Anything below 16 degrees feels too chilly.

Not sure about where you are, but where I am the mornings are pretty cold, usually frost around 1-2 degrees.

Do you think the weather is something to be concerned about though?

Who the hell likes 30 degrees? That’s about 20 too high.
Reply 12
Original post by Bio 7
Who the hell likes 30 degrees? That’s about 20 too high.

I like arid climates
We'll have more of these kinds of extreme or untimely weather events as the climate changes, but saying that any individual weather event was directly caused by climate change isn't particularly meaningful.
Reply 14
£100 to anyone who didn't think Beer Garden in the duration of this hot weather.
One thing I have noticed (stating the obvisous) but it’s only warm while standing in the sun. Once in the shade it is noticeably cool.

I prefer cooler weather to very hot weather, because simply put it is much easier to warm yourself up than to cool yourself down, especially where domestic air con isn’t really a thing.

Quick Reply

Latest