The Student Room Group

Bristol uni accommodation opinions!!

So i have an offer from Bristol now and its very likely i'll be going there next year. Ive started looking at my options for halls next year and wondering if anyone can tell me what in their opinion is the best/worst halls of residence.

Mostly I'm first trying to decide whether id want to be in the city centre, stoke bishop, or Clifton. i was immediately drawn to city centre due to convenience of location. But now I'm starting to change my mind as I've seen things about how city centre halls arent as social as SB? I like the idea of being in a space where i can easily meet a lot of people so now I'm starting to lean towards SB buuut being that far away from the uni doesn't really appeal. And then the clifton ones i don't really have much of an opinion on just that they're not as social as well? if you think otherwise pls say!!

So if anyone has experience of living in SB and can tell me what it was like i.e. was it that annoying living far from everything, was the social life really that much better, what kind of people did you meet there etc. Also stereotypes of halls and whether any actually live up to them.

Also opinions on whether i should go catered or not would help! right now I'm thinking self catered but feel free to change my mind.

Scroll to see replies

Leaving this here to come back to it later.
Reply 2
Original post by G1582
So i have an offer from Bristol now and its very likely i'll be going there next year. Ive started looking at my options for halls next year and wondering if anyone can tell me what in their opinion is the best/worst halls of residence.

Mostly I'm first trying to decide whether id want to be in the city centre, stoke bishop, or Clifton. i was immediately drawn to city centre due to convenience of location. But now I'm starting to change my mind as I've seen things about how city centre halls arent as social as SB? I like the idea of being in a space where i can easily meet a lot of people so now I'm starting to lean towards SB buuut being that far away from the uni doesn't really appeal. And then the clifton ones i don't really have much of an opinion on just that they're not as social as well? if you think otherwise pls say!!

So if anyone has experience of living in SB and can tell me what it was like i.e. was it that annoying living far from everything, was the social life really that much better, what kind of people did you meet there etc. Also stereotypes of halls and whether any actually live up to them.

Also opinions on whether i should go catered or not would help! right now I'm thinking self catered but feel free to change my mind.
I've been wondering the same, and a few people have told me that the sterpeotype is that there's more house parties in Stoke Bishop, and that's why they're considered more sociable. But I'm sure there's people in the city who want to meet new people as much as you do. I think The Courtrooms is apparently not as sociable as the other accommodations, but don't quote me on that, as only one person I know told me that!
Original post by G1582

Hi. I am currently in my first year at SB and it is great. I am at Wills, which has the posh stereotype, however is actually great.
There is Wills old quad and new quad, with new being similar to long corridors and many rooms and old being around a quad, much older and prettier.
It is catered; breakfast and dinner Monday-Friday and breakfast and midday lunch weekends.

I would certainly apply for SB over the city. The city apparently does not have a university feel, unlike SB which is surrounded by thousands of students. Furthermore, many international students live in the city, who tend to corrugate together in their own groups. I know of three students who pretty much instantly moved from city to SB.

Rough outline of accommodations THIS YEAR (changes each year) in SB:

Wills - Posh stereotype, not actually that posh. Very scenic with great student bar, with free pool table, and full size snooker table room. Either love it or hate it.
Churchill - The poshest. Go here if you like sophistication and know others going.
Hiatt Baker - Nice, more typical student halls. Normal people, decent bar, many students.
Badock - This year quite posh people who tend to stick to themselves, rooms are relatively small but not bad. Popular bar. "Edgy".
University Halls - Never been. Cheap, decent people. Know a few who have gone there, seem to like it. You pay for what you get.

- Each accommodation has their own study room and you will probably enjoy wherever you end up.

APPLY TO SB IF YOU ARE SOCIABLE, WANT TO MAKE SOME GREAT FRIENDS AND DON'T MIND A (FREE) BUS JOURNEY TO AND FRO UNI.

Feel free to ask any questions regarding UoB.
Currently in first year at Manor Hall in Clifton.
I think there is something to be said for it being less partyish outside of the halls but inside on a typical evening is pretty lively and most flats I know are very sociable.
Plus with Clifton based halls it is closer to the uni (20 minute walk) and 10 minute walk from the Triangle- where the clubs etc. are which is handy after a night out.
I got rejected from Bristol
Hey, could someone clarify how the accommodation preferences work? So I can see that halls are clearly distinguished between first and second preference vs first preference only, however, for third preference these are the options listed: Badock Hall (catered); Hiatt Baker (catered); Any catered; Any self-catered; Any shared room; Any en suite (health grounds only). Does that include manor hall for example which is self-catered but also states first preference only? It's quite confusing.

Thanks
Reply 7
I've been looking at Colston and Riverside. I enjoy music a lot so Colston (being literally sandwiched between the Gryphon and Colston hall) seems like it would be my first choice. I don't see any particular reason why it would be particularly antisocial, since there will be a lot of people there and lots to do with them. From what I've heard you'll make plenty of friends no matter what since there are societies and your course on top of your residence anyway.Personally I don't think there would be much difference except convenience, correct me if i'm wrong...
What about the riverside accomodation in the east? I have an offer to study music next year and am leaning towards the city accommodations though I’ve heard that you don’t get as much of a proper fresher experience in the city.
Reply 9
I found a good thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5231106
to sum it up, it says that SB is generally more social due to having it's own bars. However, if you try to make friends, you will have no trouble in the city. Joining a society or two will help to get more friends.
Personally, I think the benefits of the city such as the location, convenience, and generally nicer accommodation make it a better offer. Also they are in the heart of all the action, such as clubs, bars, pubs etc.
SB - Bad acom, good social
City - Good acom, good social if you try
Again, you'll make friends on your course and in societies if your flat-mates are bad. I don't think it will make a difference.
Reply 10
Original post by AdamGGJ
I found a good thread here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5231106
to sum it up, it says that SB is generally more social due to having it's own bars. However, if you try to make friends, you will have no trouble in the city. Joining a society or two will help to get more friends.
Personally, I think the benefits of the city such as the location, convenience, and generally nicer accommodation make it a better offer. Also they are in the heart of all the action, such as clubs, bars, pubs etc.
SB - Bad acom, good social
City - Good acom, good social if you try
Again, you'll make friends on your course and in societies if your flat-mates are bad. I don't think it will make a difference.

Yeh I’ve basically come to the same conclusions but still don’t know what to do!! Just scared I’ll pick city/Clifton and then feel like I’m missing out or just not meet many people and regret not picking SB
Original post by G1582
Yeh I’ve basically come to the same conclusions but still don’t know what to do!! Just scared I’ll pick city/Clifton and then feel like I’m missing out or just not meet many people and regret not picking SB

I'm having the same dilemma!
For me, city centre/Clifton was never even a consideration. If your main motive for going there is to avoid having to get the bus, it really shouldn’t be!! At most, the (free) bus takes 20 mins - door-to-door. Additionally, the bus is super safe as it is a uni bus, meaning pretty much only students are on it. For this reason, it is perfectly safe to get alone after a night out or whatever if necessary.

SB is known for being the most sociable and, although I might be biased, from what I’ve seen, it definitely is. The majority of my course and society friends are from SB and it definitely makes it easier when it comes to seeing them regularly (especially if they aren’t in the same halls as you!).

At the end of the day, you will be happy wherever you go but I cannot recommend SB highly enough. I think that from it you gain much more of a “uni experience” as it is virtually a campus, where you are wholly surrounded by students.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 13
hi thanks for your reply! think i'm leaning towards SB now and probably self-catered Hiatt Baker, re the self catered how far away are the nearest shops/ supermarkets? Like does being self catered make life pretty difficult for you?

also how likely are you to see people from other halls when you're in SB. As i have a sibling now also going to bristol and looking at SB and basically I'm paranoid that we'll end up in the same circles or be running into each other all the time and inevitably end up with the same friends. We don't have a bad relationship or anything at all but I'm just looking forward to uni being a place where I'm not linked to anyone else if that makes sense? I'm probably just underestimating the scale of uni but still i'm thinking with the bus and different formals surely you'd see the same people quite a bit??

If anyone else has any input on this that would be greatly appreciated!!:smile:
Original post by G1582
hi thanks for your reply! think i'm leaning towards SB now and probably self-catered Hiatt Baker, re the self catered how far away are the nearest shops/ supermarkets? Like does being self catered make life pretty difficult for you?

also how likely are you to see people from other halls when you're in SB. As i have a sibling now also going to bristol and looking at SB and basically I'm paranoid that we'll end up in the same circles or be running into each other all the time and inevitably end up with the same friends. We don't have a bad relationship or anything at all but I'm just looking forward to uni being a place where I'm not linked to anyone else if that makes sense? I'm probably just underestimating the scale of uni but still i'm thinking with the bus and different formals surely you'd see the same people quite a bit??

If anyone else has any input on this that would be greatly appreciated!!:smile:

I’m catered atm but have many friends in self and it doesn’t seem to be a problem at all. Obviously I’ve got to buy food too for lunches and dinners at the weekend and so am in a similar situation to them. There are plenty of places nearby to buy food. There’s a Sainsbury’s right by uni and another (bigger) directly on the bus route back from uni to SB so it is very easy to buy food.

When it comes to friend groups etc., you will meet a lot of people from other halls too, yes. But there are thousands of students, just in SB so the chance of you having the same group of friends is so low. Especially if you’re in different halls. The only way you MAY have the same group of friends is if you only spend your time together - which by the sounds of it you don’t want to do. So I’m sure that won’t be a problem either.

Lemme know if you have any other qu’s :smile:
Same, I don't know which ones to choose... personally, I like New Bridwell, The Courtrooms and Orchard Heights - they are self-catered.
Orchard heights looks good .only thing I've heard is the courtrooms tend to be unsociable .also, what do you think about Unite House? That's supposed to be decent:smile:
Original post by chdinmao
Same, I don't know which ones to choose... personally, I like New Bridwell, The Courtrooms and Orchard Heights - they are self-catered.
Personally, I don't like the way it looks and I don't think you get value for your money... I've also read tons of reviews and they say the only good thing about it is its location but everything else isn't good. https://www.studentcrowd.com/hall-l1000825-s1044154-unite-house-university_of_bristol-bristol it's on here... you can also check other hall reviews as well
Original post by bellaskp
Orchard heights looks good .only thing I've heard is the courtrooms tend to be unsociable .also, what do you think about Unite House? That's supposed to be decent:smile:
also New Bridewell, The Courtrooms and Orchard Heights are just as close to campus anyways
Original post by chdinmao
Personally, I don't like the way it looks and I don't think you get value for your money... I've also read tons of reviews and they say the only good thing about it is its location but everything else isn't good. https://www.studentcrowd.com/hall-l1000825-s1044154-unite-house-university_of_bristol-bristol it's on here... you can also check other hall reviews as well
Reply 19
Do you know what people think of Colston?
Original post by happygolucky00
I’m catered atm but have many friends in self and it doesn’t seem to be a problem at all. Obviously I’ve got to buy food too for lunches and dinners at the weekend and so am in a similar situation to them. There are plenty of places nearby to buy food. There’s a Sainsbury’s right by uni and another (bigger) directly on the bus route back from uni to SB so it is very easy to buy food.

When it comes to friend groups etc., you will meet a lot of people from other halls too, yes. But there are thousands of students, just in SB so the chance of you having the same group of friends is so low. Especially if you’re in different halls. The only way you MAY have the same group of friends is if you only spend your time together - which by the sounds of it you don’t want to do. So I’m sure that won’t be a problem either.

Lemme know if you have any other qu’s :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending