The Student Room Group

Cambridge-mitigating circumstances

I’m thinking of applying to Cambridge but i don’t think I’ll have a chance of getting in if I don’t qualify for mitigating circumstances.

Will I have to first apply to the uni if I want a chance to go for mitigating circumstances?(this would mean me risking not qualifying for mitigating circumstances, but my application still going through)

Or should I contact admissions? I feel like admissions won’t be able to give me a certain answer..
You can check if your circumstances would be accepted as an 'extenuating circumstance' by Cambridge if they match with the criteria listed on their website: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

"- a serious, acute or chronic medical condition (especially since the age of 14) which caused significant educational disruption
- significant caring responsibilities, or recent bereavement or serious illness within close family
- living independently of the family (estranged students)
- any kind of serious disruption due to adverse family circumstances
- serious disruption to educational provision at school/college
- where the applicant has been the victim of a serious crime
- other circumstances where serious disruption has occurred the school/college, doctor or social worker is welcome to contact a College admissions office to discuss an applicant's particular circumstances"
Original post by cinnamoroll
You can check if your circumstances would be accepted as an 'extenuating circumstance' by Cambridge if they match with the criteria listed on their website: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions/extenuating-circumstances-form

"- a serious, acute or chronic medical condition (especially since the age of 14) which caused significant educational disruption
- significant caring responsibilities, or recent bereavement or serious illness within close family
- living independently of the family (estranged students)
- any kind of serious disruption due to adverse family circumstances
- serious disruption to educational provision at school/college
- where the applicant has been the victim of a serious crime
- other circumstances where serious disruption has occurred the school/college, doctor or social worker is welcome to contact a College admissions office to discuss an applicant's particular circumstances"

I have a sound sensitivity disorder (Misophonia) which is not yet fully recognised and extremely hard to diagnose. This makes it a little tricky unfortunately

What would you suggest to do?
Reply 3
Original post by rose.obrien
I’m thinking of applying to Cambridge but i don’t think I’ll have a chance of getting in if I don’t qualify for mitigating circumstances.

Will I have to first apply to the uni if I want a chance to go for mitigating circumstances?(this would mean me risking not qualifying for mitigating circumstances, but my application still going through)

Or should I contact admissions? I feel like admissions won’t be able to give me a certain answer..

The ECF has been linked by the poster above :yy:

You apply, and then send the ECF. You can also highlight any circumstances when you complete Cambridge's SAQ - which must be completed by all applicants when you apply.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq

But, why do you think you need ECs to be a competitive applicant?
Original post by Doones
The ECF has been linked by the poster above :yy:

You apply, and then send the ECF. You can also highlight any circumstances when you complete Cambridge's SAQ - which must be completed by all applicants when you apply.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq

But, why do you think you need ECs to be a competitive applicant?

Thanks!
Say my extenuating circumstances official form doesn’t go through, if it’s mentioned in my SAQ form and teacher reference will it have as much weighting?

Cause my GCSEs are pretty average in comparison to my schools’ average
Reply 5
Thanks!
Say my extenuating circumstances official form doesn’t go through, if it’s mentioned in my SAQ form and teacher reference will it have as much weighting?

Cause my GCSEs are pretty average in comparison to my schools’ average

What do you mean "doesn't go through"? It doesn't have to pass a test... it will be fully included in your application. Note it needs to be completed by your referee or a suitable professional - not you.

I've already replied to you about your GCSEs in previous threads. They are just one (small) aspect of your application - your performance in sixth form is much more important.
Original post by Doones
What do you mean "doesn't go through"? It doesn't have to pass a test... it will be fully included in your application. Note it needs to be completed by your referee or a suitable professional - not you.

I've already replied to you about your GCSEs in previous threads. They are just one (small) aspect of your application - your performance in sixth form is much more important.

I mean -What if it doesn’t get accepted? Considering that I probably won’t be able to get an official diagnosis.

But if they look at it anyway and it doesn’t go through some kind of regulation then that’s different

It’s useful to know who it needs to be completed by, thank u

I do acknowledge that, I’m still worried tho as obviously it’s a v competitive course at a v competitive uni
Reply 7
I mean -What if it doesn’t get accepted? Considering that I probably won’t be able to get an official diagnosis.

But if they look at it anyway and it doesn’t go through some kind of regulation then that’s different

It’s useful to know who it needs to be completed by, thank u

I do acknowledge that, I’m still worried tho as obviously it’s a v competitive course at a v competitive uni

How they use it, and who it needs to be completed by, is all on the page that was linked. Please read the links provided (including the SAQ link), and look at the forms (including the SAQ guide).

It's just one of your 5 choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending