The Student Room Group

Moving sixth forms for year 13

So my family is struggling financially and we won’t be able to stay in the house I’ve grown up in for much longer as my parents can’t afford to pay the mortgage (my dad doesn’t live with us and so has to pay for where he lives and where we do, and my mum only works part time as she has to take care of my 6 year old brother and I really don’t know why I’m explaining this but anyway). My mum is thinking about moving to a different area about an hour away from where we’re living now, but she was going to do it after I finish year 13 and go to uni. The way things are going now, though, I don’t think we’ll be able to.

My question is how much would it affect me academically to move to a different sixth form for year 13? Would another sixth form even accept me? I’m hoping to go to a uni where the entry grades are A*AA so I don’t want my grades to drop (I’m currently getting A*AA). Also would I have to learn year 12 stuff because of different exam boards?
Reply 1
Hi there, so as someone whos actually moved sixth form for year 13, i also had really good predicated grades in year 12. I had A*AA, however in moving, i;ve had to take up year 12 and 13 classes and basically complete two years in one. IF there is no choice, then just do it, or maybe consider doing year 14, but for me i'd say that i am really struggling now because i have to basically do two years in one. I left my previous sixth form due to bad teaching so i also didnt have as much support in year 12 as i should have.Its hard work but if youre really dedicated then youll be fine. Just never underestimate how much you need to catch up on!! IF your teachers arent verbally telling you to do something you know you need to eventually do, just do it! (like research projects for non-exam/oral assessment or something)My subjects are Chinese, French and English Literature. English literature or history. things that are assessed by material like boks or time periods will be the most amount of work but it is still the best subject of my 3, so itll take most of your tme catching up on it, but if youre doing sciences or math you shouldnt have too much of a problem.
Original post by Azogg
My question is how much would it affect me academically to move to a different sixth form for year 13? Would another sixth form even accept me? I’m hoping to go to a uni where the entry grades are A*AA so I don’t want my grades to drop (I’m currently getting A*AA). Also would I have to learn year 12 stuff because of different exam boards?

Moving to a different sixth form at this stage would be a very bad idea since it is unlikely that another school would be doing the exact same exam board for all your subjects, which means you couldn't just pick up Year 13 somewhere else. Instead, you would probably be best advised to start Year 12 again, which I doubt you want to do! If at all possible, you need to try and stay at your current sixth form, even if that means living with other family or friends for the last few months (it normally takes at least a few months to sell a house even if your mum puts it on the market soon) or suffering an hours commute for the last few months.

I don't know your family details of course, but most fathers are legally obliged to carry on supporting their ex wives financially until their youngest child leaves school. If your mum would like to get some free financial advice, there are organisations that can offer this - your local Citizens Advice Bureau would be a good place to start. I hope she can work something out so that the move can be postponed until after you finish Year 13 :smile:
you lot are exaggerating, I am in year 13 and I changed schools from 12 to 13. Everything is the same, applied to UCAS, got my predicted grades..etc. Just make sure the school you pick does the same exam board, which I did.
Original post by ineedthosegrades
you lot are exaggerating, I am in year 13 and I changed schools from 12 to 13. Everything is the same, applied to UCAS, got my predicted grades..etc. Just make sure the school you pick does the same exam board, which I did.

OP needs to be sure that optional units are the same too- this also needs to be considered
Original post by ineedthosegrades

What if there is a one subject change exam board

Latest