The Student Room Group

GEM is it a pipe dream? Realistic time management for GAMSAT?

Hi guys!

I am taking the plunge to pursue my dream! I am excited, and if all fails, I can say I tried.

So, I have a 2.1 in a joint English and History degree and will be sitting the GAMSAT.
Have purchased plenty of materials, but I am the type to overstress, have anxiety as deadlines approach (going to sit the September exam).

I haven’t done Sciences/Maths since GCSE and I got Cs. Lol. Am I able to learn, revise and work through the entire contents by this time? I have spent about two weeks on cells… I am getting extremely stressed and overwhelmed with how much I need to learn and take in. I have tried practice papers and I am still clueless! I am trying to spent a month on each subject, i.e. Biology this month, next month Chemistry (btw, focus on organic chem. only or both?)… Ah, getting so freaked out! I was struggling with section 1 and my degree is in English, for God’s sake!

Meanwhile, applying for PGCE September too, as a backup in case medicine is truly a pipedream…

Also, I have started volunteering on a ward in two different hospitals. I am struggling with shadowing doctors, and my local surgery offered me work experience but I spent the entire time in reception. Did not see a single doctor is this not pointless? I have been working retail for five years, I am hoping this would suffice too?

Honestly, would really APPRECIATE help here!

Scroll to see replies

There's lots of good advice on GAMSAT preparation in this forum, if you trawl through the threads a bit. If you can do it completely depends on your ability and how much work you are prepared to put it, nobody here can answer that question. Remember GAMSAT tests scientific reasoning, not knowledge - you don't actually have to remember any facts (although familiarity will help speed).

Many (possibly most?) people who do grad entry medicine apply more than once before getting a place. Many people sit the GAMSAT more than once in order to get a high enough mark to get interviews. If you really want to do it you should be prepared to go through it more than once.
Original post by TeaAndToast22
Hi guys!

I am taking the plunge to pursue my dream! I am excited, and if all fails, I can say I tried.

So, I have a 2.1 in a joint English and History degree and will be sitting the GAMSAT.
Have purchased plenty of materials, but I am the type to overstress, have anxiety as deadlines approach (going to sit the September exam).

I haven’t done Sciences/Maths since GCSE and I got Cs. Lol. Am I able to learn, revise and work through the entire contents by this time? I have spent about two weeks on cells… I am getting extremely stressed and overwhelmed with how much I need to learn and take in. I have tried practice papers and I am still clueless! I am trying to spent a month on each subject, i.e. Biology this month, next month Chemistry (btw, focus on organic chem. only or both?)… Ah, getting so freaked out! I was struggling with section 1 and my degree is in English, for God’s sake!

Meanwhile, applying for PGCE September too, as a backup in case medicine is truly a pipedream…

Also, I have started volunteering on a ward in two different hospitals. I am struggling with shadowing doctors, and my local surgery offered me work experience but I spent the entire time in reception. Did not see a single doctor is this not pointless? I have been working retail for five years, I am hoping this would suffice too?

Honestly, would really APPRECIATE help here!

Reality check here. You have an arts degree. You have no A levels in a science subject and you are struggling already. GEM is harder to get in than undergrad son I think your chances are pretty slim. And If you are struggling now, if by some miracle you would get onto GEM the science ramps up considerably.

Of course you just try but be prepared for disappointment
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Reality check here. You have an arts degree. You have no A levels in a science subject and you are struggling already. GEM is harder to get in than undergrad son I think your chances are pretty slim. And If you are struggling now, if by some miracle you would get onto GEM the science ramps up considerably.

Bit harsh? Yes it’s hard but it’s doable - I have an arts degree, no science A levels and got 3 offers for GEM in my first application cycle.

OP - do your best on GAMSAT/UKCAT and get as much work experience as possible and you have every chance of getting in. It’s hard work yes, but not impossible 🙂

Thanks but I don't need a 'reality check' when I know exactly what I am getting into. :smile: Hence I am asking for advice, not criticism.

There is a nicer way to speak to someone... you sound just like the teachers I had at my awful school, never optimistic and always making others feel bad for aspiring to achieve their dreams.

'Miracle?' Lol. Wow.

You have a terrible attitude.

I will message you once I get my offers :smile:
Original post by GEM_2019
Bit harsh? Yes it’s hard but it’s doable - I have an arts degree, no science A levels and got 3 offers for GEM in my first application cycle.

OP - do your best on GAMSAT/UKCAT and get as much work experience as possible and you have every chance of getting in. It’s hard work yes, but not impossible 🙂

Thank you - yes, they were incredibly harsh. Nothing positive to come out of that at all.

Can I PM you some questions?

Thanks! Feel better, the other person put me down.
Thanks but I don't need a 'reality check' when I know exactly what I am getting into. :smile: Hence I am asking for advice, not criticism.

There is a nicer way to speak to someone... you sound just like the teachers I had at my awful school, never optimistic and always making others feel bad for aspiring to achieve their dreams.

'Miracle?' Lol. Wow.

You have a terrible attitude.

I will message you once I get my offers :smile:

No I am being realistic. TSR is full of dreamers who have these wild ambitions. Nothing wrong with ambition but you need to be realistic. Your chances are small. You asked if it was a pipe dream . Do not be swayed by the one response who said they got three offers. You do not know their background. My flatmate has a first from St George's in biomedical science . He has a distinction in some sort of medical technology masters from Cambridge yet still did not get onto GEM. Once you know your enemy you can begin to tackle them
No I am being realistic. TSR is full of dreamers who have these wild ambitions. Nothing wrong with ambition but you need to be realistic. Your chances are small. You asked if it was a pipe dream . Do not be swayed by the one response who said they got three offers. You do not know their background. My flatmate has a first from St George's in biomedical science . He has a distinction in some sort of medical technology masters from Cambridge yet still did not get onto GEM. Once you know your enemy you can begin to tackle them

'Once you know your enemy you can begin to tackle them' - that is better. I like that.

I know what you mean but it came across rude. I have a friend that got into Oxbridge at the age of 30 for med. and he has a PhD in cancer research so I totally get how hard it is but I still want to try!

I agree this is a bit harsh (although it's good to be aware of the level of challenge). I completely disagree with the implication that if @TeaAndToast22 were to get a place, they would struggle further - if they satisfy the university that they would be able to do it, then there is no reason to doubt that, and universities that accept arts graduates have systems in place for supporting them.

As far as I remember @GEM_2019 didn't do GAMSAT (I may be wrong...). The UKCAT is a different experience all together. I decided to do both, as you don't get your GAMSAT results until after you've applied, and then I applied to mix of places. My work exp is similar to yours (hospital volunteering with 2 days of shadowing). This approach might work for you too OP?
'Once you know your enemy you can begin to tackle them' - that is better. I like that.

I know what you mean but it came across rude. I have a friend that got into Oxbridge at the age of 30 for med. and he has a PhD in cancer research so I totally get how hard it is but I still want to try!

No not rude. Realistic. GEM is famously harder to get onto . My daughter briefly considered it. She has a first in maths and two masters. My son looked into it. He has a physics degree from Bristol. You can take umbrage at my comments but the reality is that it will be difficult. As I said know thine enemy
Original post by jzdzm
I agree this is a bit harsh (although it's good to be aware of the level of challenge). I completely disagree with the implication that if @TeaAndToast22 were to get a place, they would struggle further - if they satisfy the university that they would be able to do it, then there is no reason to doubt that, and universities that accept arts graduates have systems in place for supporting them.

As far as I remember @GEM_2019 didn't do GAMSAT (I may be wrong...). The UKCAT is a different experience all together. I decided to do both, as you don't get your GAMSAT results until after you've applied, and then I applied to mix of places. My work exp is similar to yours (hospital volunteering with 2 days of shadowing). This approach might work for you too OP?

Thank you. I am aware of the struggle hence asking for help and advice :smile: I am a quick learner, just overthink and perfect things.

Thank you, how did you manage the shadowing? I could maybe ask a few months in my experience?

How long did you study for the GAMSAT, can I ask?
No not rude. Realistic. GEM is famously harder to get onto . My daughter briefly considered it. She has a first in maths and two masters. My son looked into it. He has a physics degree from Bristol. You can take umbrage at my comments but the reality is that it will be difficult. As I said know thine enemy

Realistic isn't telling someone in a condescending/belittling tone 'you have no science A levels, science degree and therefore have very LITTLE chance' when Nottingham takes 30-40% arts graduates a year. Realistic isn't being harsh either. It was harsh. I will leave it at that.

As to the degree, I am applying to those that do not mind.
Thank you. I am aware of the struggle hence asking for help and advice :smile: I am a quick learner, just overthink and perfect things.

Thank you, how did you manage the shadowing? I could maybe ask a few months in my experience?

How long did you study for the GAMSAT, can I ask?

I contacted the work experience coordinator at an NHS trust that I have connections too (where my parents live - I live in London, couldn't get anything here).

I started studying in January for the GAMSAT (alongside working full time). I have science A levels (Biology and Maths) and was a straight-A student at school so my situation is not really comparable. You just need to get 50 in the science section though... you can boost it by aiming for 70ish in section 1 and 80ish in section 2 (your English and History combo background should give you a big advantage there).
Brilliant so let me know when you have been accepted. And learn some humility
Realistic isn't telling someone in a condescending/belittling tone 'you have no science A levels, science degree and therefore have very LITTLE chance' when Nottingham takes 30-40% arts graduates a year. Realistic isn't being harsh either. It was harsh. I will leave it at that.

As to the degree, I am applying to those that do not mind.
Brilliant so let me know when you have been accepted. And learn some humility

Learn how to communicate with others, and learn to not belittle. I feel sad for you, clearly middle aged or over and yet you feel the need to put down a 20 year old...
Learn how to communicate with others, and learn to not belittle. I feel sad for you, clearly middle aged or over and yet you feel the need to put down a 20 year old...

You need to learn how to accept advice from your seniors. I am not putting you down. I am telling you to be realistic. I have 30 years experience in the nhs . You attitude will not get you into GEM
You need to learn how to accept advice from your seniors. I am not putting you down. I am telling you to be realistic. I have 30 years experience in the nhs . You attitude will not get you into GEM

Avoid commenting on my post.

Learn some to have some respect from your elders. I have worked in the NHS for many years - your attitude will see you blocked from the start. Arrogance is not tolerated
Learn some to have some respect from your elders. I have worked in the NHS for many years - your attitude will see you blocked from the start. Arrogance is not tolerated

“One person I know didn’t get a place and my kids briefly looked into it” doesn’t make you the authority on who should bother applying or not. If a uni accepts non-science degrees, they accept non-science degrees.

Most (emphasis on most) GEM courses don’t look at applications holistically - they look at whether you meet the degree requirements (and A levels if applicable), and then everyone who does is ranked and they decide on a UKCAT/GAMSAT cut-off according to interview capacity. Once you’ve got an interview, prepare well and be clear about why you want to do medicine and you’ve got every chance of getting an offer. There isn’t a point in the process where scientists get their scores bumped up - across the course of 3 interviews I didn’t get one question which was even vaguely science related.

Thank you - yes, they were incredibly harsh. Nothing positive to come out of that at all.

Can I PM you some questions?

Thanks! Feel better, the other person put me down.

Of course! Happy to help.

@jzdzm is right though - I didn’t take the GAMSAT so I can’t help with that :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending