The Student Room Group

I’ve let my uni friend stay the night... help!

I’ve let my uni friend stay the night and I’m now regretting it. Last time he stayed round, he slept on the floor and I’ve realised I literally cannot sleep with someone in the same room. Also, every 5 to 10 minutes, a really horrible smell emits from him which I think is his breath. Either that or he farted. I asked him if he could sleep on the couch but he’s still insisting on staying in my room. What do I do?

Scroll to see replies

Politely explain you find it very hard to sleep with someone in the room, don’t mention anything about the bad smell as that’ll make him feel insecure. If he doesn’t understand why you want to sleep alone just make up some lies and say youve had a hard day and every tiny thing is bugging you including the sound of him breathing, it’s worked for me.
Jesus if you can smell his breath from your bed then I think you already know the answer!
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve let my uni friend stay the night and I’m now regretting it. Last time he stayed round, he slept on the floor and I’ve realised I literally cannot sleep with someone in the same room. Also, every 5 to 10 minutes, a really horrible smell emits from him which I think is his breath. Either that or he farted. I asked him if he could sleep on the couch but he’s still insisting on staying in my room. What do I do?

Why is he insisting on staying in your room? Just tell him to sleep on the couch if he has to stay with you (can't he get back home or stay with another friend?) - you could say that you can't sleep well if he stays in your room or that the couch will be more comfortable.
Reply 4
He keeps saying he’s rather sleep on the floor and that “I need to get over it” but I really can’t sleep with him there. I’ve no idea what overcame me to let him stay and now I’ve dug myself into a hole I can’t get out of. He literally lives in the next block of flats on our street
Original post by cheesecakelove
Why is he insisting on staying in your room? Just tell him to sleep on the couch if he has to stay with you (can't he get back home or stay with another friend?) - you could say that you can't sleep well if he stays in your room or that the couch will be more comfortable.
He keeps saying he’s rather sleep on the floor and that “I need to get over it” but I really can’t sleep with him there. I’ve no idea what overcame me to let him stay and now I’ve dug myself into a hole I can’t get out of. He literally lives in the next block of flats on our street

Tell him to sleep on the floor which is next to the couch then.

If he doesn't respect your wishes, what kind of a friend is he? As you mentioned, he can easily get back to his own place - you don't owe him anything or have to let him stay. If he wants to stay, he can stay on the couch. If he isn't happy with that, let him go back to his own place to sleep.
Him saying you "need to get over it" in regard to him sleeping on the floor is kinda rude considering you've been nice enough to let him stay.

Since he was rude about it I'd just say he'd need to sleep on the couch if he's gonna stay over.
Reply 8
I know it’s put me in a really awkward situation. He’s only saying I need to get over it bc we’re supposed to be going down to Brighton in a few months and we’ll be sharing a room but even still... it just makes me question going to Brighton aha
Original post by MidgetFever
Him saying you "need to get over it" in regard to him sleeping on the floor is kinda rude considering you've been nice enough to let him stay.

Since he was rude about it I'd just say he'd need to sleep on the couch if he's gonna stay over.
I’d tell him to respect your request and go to the couch. If he still says no, then tell him to leave. He’s being disrespectful and should be a bit more considerate considering you offered him a place to stay. If he can’t respect that though, then I wouldn’t deal with him. He sounds arrogant, and if you can’t deal with it, then that’s your decision. Plus, it’s not his house, and most importantly, it’s not his room. It’s yours. If you really don’t want him in their, then that should be final
I know it’s put me in a really awkward situation. He’s only saying I need to get over it bc we’re supposed to be going down to Brighton in a few months and we’ll be sharing a room but even still... it just makes me question going to Brighton aha
Okay so I got him to sleep on the couch but then he said "the point is that we're both supposed to be in the same room so we wake up at the same time and I also don't want you messing things up for Brighton" WOOOOOOOOW. Like, he's down the hallway in the living room? And just WOOOOOOW
Selfish dude. I’m sorry you have to deal with him. Even I’d be question that trip if I were you. But for now, I hope you sleep better.
Night!
Okay so I got him to sleep on the couch but then he said "the point is that we're both supposed to be in the same room so we wake up at the same time and I also don't want you messing things up for Brighton" WOOOOOOOOW. Like, he's down the hallway in the living room? And just WOOOOOOW
I know I’m definitely questioning it. Thank you for all your help! Good night! :smile:
Original post by Hmmmmmmm?
Selfish dude. I’m sorry you have to deal with him. Even I’d be question that trip if I were you. But for now, I hope you sleep better.
Night!
Make him uncomfortable so he goes home.
I just thought I'd hop in with a bit of info. This is useless if you're just talking about coming down for a holiday or something but...

If you are talking about coming to the University of Brighton, they only have a very few shared rooms and only put people in them who specifically request it. So if you do not want to share with this person, don't put their info on your application.

Or if you're in any way pressured to put their info on your application, email the university separately and tell them you don't want to be in the same room/flat as them.

I'm confused. Why is he staying at yours if he only lives on the same street as you?
Pfft
Ahh it’s only for a holiday so luckily I dont need to worry about that :smile:
I just thought I'd hop in with a bit of info. This is useless if you're just talking about coming down for a holiday or something but...

If you are talking about coming to the University of Brighton, they only have a very few shared rooms and only put people in them who specifically request it. So if you do not want to share with this person, don't put their info on your application.

Or if you're in any way pressured to put their info on your application, email the university separately and tell them you don't want to be in the same room/flat as them.
Ahh it’s only for a holiday so luckily I dont need to worry about that :smile:

That still doesn't give him the right to talk to you in such a rude manner. I know if you go to confront him on his behaviour, he'll only end up saying that you allowed him to stay the night but I think it's time you do. Say you aren't all the comfortable around him but be polite. As for the part of mentioning his BO-- personal hygiene is a serious problem and keep in mind that suggesting a tone of disgust and criticism would only anger him and make him feel insecure. But maybe just bring it up on some other occasion or try spray some fragrance in the room to settle things down without making it a big deal, I guess? Also mention the fact that he can't order you around or blame you when you've been so kind as to sleep at your place despite his dorm (forgive me if I'm wrong) being right across the street. TL;DR Don't let him assert his dominance over you OP!:biggrin:
It's only one night. You've done it now. Just sit through it and don't ask them to again?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending