The Student Room Group

Whats the best solution for Brexit now?

What is the 'way forward' now that we are 'brexiting'? What do you think is the best solution - like where do you think we should be headed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by u97
What is the 'way forward' now that we are 'brexiting'? What do you think is the best solution - like where do you think we should be headed?

Leaving the UK😑

I would love to go to Canada, but my parents would never let me 😢
I just hope we don't do a soft Brexit, that would be like half leaving and being still governed by some EU laws without having a say in it. I'd rather have a hard Brexit or no leaving at all but they need to decide fast as the longer they wait the more companies leave the uk
Brexit is no longer about facts and logic.

It has morphed into something else.

A battle for the psyche of the people..
Original post by Nalk1573
Brexit is no longer about facts and logic.

It has morphed into something else.

A battle for the psyche of the people..

It has morphed into parliament doing their damndest to overturn the largest democratic vote on a singular issue this country has ever held, if you are even remotely a democrat then this should worry you.
The best thing to do is to revoke article 50 and cancel Brexit altogether.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Bashtopher
The best thing to do is revoke article 50 and cancel Brexit altogether.

Precisely, no one voted for whatever brexit we’re going to get and all that stuff about respecting democracy is utter ****, they act like the government has never gone against the desire of the people and the whole referendum and campaign was an absolute sham. I can’t wrap my head around this, these islands are and have always been divided, a second referendum couldn’t be nearly as harmful as we’re told, is this not just more fear mongering. Sorry for the rant guys.
Original post by Corps
Precisely, no one voted for whatever brexit we’re going to get and all that stuff about respecting democracy is utter ****, they act like the government has never gone against the desire of the people and the whole referendum and campaign was an absolute sham. I can’t wrap my head around this, these islands are and have always been divided, a second referendum couldn’t be nearly as harmful as we’re told, is this not just more fear mongering. Sorry for the rant guys.

So how do you envisage parliament asking the public to decide ( again ) on a subject which we have already given them an answer, which they as a whole have failed to react upon, will react?
I'll help you here, it will mean goodbye Conservatives and goodbye Labour, and
the Lib Dems can fook off too.
When we voted to leave the EU we had altalre been armed with the information that leaving meant we had to leave the SM and the CU, the rest follows on from there.
Reply 8
Original post by ColinDent
So how do you envisage parliament asking the public to decide ( again ) on a subject which we have already given them an answer, which they as a whole have failed to react upon, will react?
I'll help you here, it will mean goodbye Conservatives and goodbye Labour, and
the Lib Dems can fook off too.
When we voted to leave the EU we had altalre been armed with the information that leaving meant we had to leave the SM and the CU, the rest follows on from there.

It really was a rant, the country is walking on eggshells, until there’s an actual deal, no one will know what Brexit means. And the main problem is that we are in a sort of limbo and this makes it seem as though remaining is still an option even though we can see that it is really not. Guess I’m just frustrated that I didn’t have a choice in the matter.
It has morphed into parliament doing their damndest to overturn the largest democratic vote on a singular issue this country has ever held, if you are even remotely a democrat then this should worry you.

No. It isn't.

People need to stop assuming Parliament is buggering up Brexit to stop it from happening.

Here's the problem: Theresa May's deal is frankly terrible. That's just a fact. MP's have changed their mind on whether they'll support it repeatedly, No Deal has been brought up in desperation (and would be economic suicide so let's not even ****ing think about that), and ultimately it would be the worst of both worlds.

Theresa May is also completely unwilling to compromise, even during cross-party talks designed to break the Parliamentary deadlock. She won't break any of her red lines: In particular, she wants an end to free movement and leave the customs union (which creates a hard border in Ireland as the EU Republic of Ireland and Northern Irish border is maintained via the UK being in the EU, which breaks the Good Friday agreement, which for the record is the only thing that's stopping a civil war in Ireland). This cannot work.

So, Parliament voted to take control of the agenda regarding Brexit after Theresa repeatedly tried to pass her almost entirely unchanged Brexit deal through Parliament and failed repeatedly. But here's where the Parliament ****ery comes in!

See, Corbyn actually wants us to leave the EU with a "jobs-first brexit". The backbenchers, don't trust Corbyn's strategy of not taking any brexit solution off the table, and want him to back a 2nd referendum (while you might say this is to stop brexit, it's also because both Leave.EU and Vote Leave have been shown to have broken laws regarding financing political campaigns, and hence the referendum result is dubious - hence, a 2nd referendum on the final deal is an excellent way to confirm that the people do want Brexit.). As a result of both the Tories being fractured between No Deal, May's Deal and alternatives that the Speaker of the House has selected for debate, no legislation can actually pass the House of Commons.

In reality, it's not that Parliament is trying to stop Brexit, it's that Parliament is so fractured and divided both within parties and outside of them, that they cannot agree on anything, and hence nothing is getting done.

This is because while between Remain and Leave, Leave seemed a firm choice, there's actually so many different possible deals to be struck that nobody can agree on how to leave.

Oh, and also the EU has to agree to the deal as well, so that could scupper plans as well.

Oh, and for your information, Nigel Farage's Brexit Party won't fix s***. They don't have a official policy on brexit yet and don't have a deal prepared. They won't be much use either. And take a look at all the critical EU legislation that he could've been interacting with and creating the best environment for the UK to operate in all this time... and look at how he just straight up didn't vote.
Original post by Corps
It really was a rant, the country is walking on eggshells, until there’s an actual deal, no one will know what Brexit means. And the main problem is that we are in a sort of limbo and this makes it seem as though remaining is still an option even though we can see that it is really not. Guess I’m just frustrated that I didn’t have a choice in the matter.

Okay, fair play for being honest but this decision has been made and, although you fear the worst, things could well pan out better for the country and yourself as a whole, brexit just needs to be embraced for our great nation to succeed.
Original post by ThePootisPower
No. It isn't.

People need to stop assuming Parliament is buggering up Brexit to stop it from happening.

Here's the problem: Theresa May's deal is frankly terrible. That's just a fact. MP's have changed their mind on whether they'll support it repeatedly, No Deal has been brought up in desperation (and would be economic suicide so let's not even ****ing think about that), and ultimately it would be the worst of both worlds.

Theresa May is also completely unwilling to compromise, even during cross-party talks designed to break the Parliamentary deadlock. She won't break any of her red lines: In particular, she wants an end to free movement and leave the customs union (which creates a hard border in Ireland as the EU Republic of Ireland and Northern Irish border is maintained via the UK being in the EU, which breaks the Good Friday agreement, which for the record is the only thing that's stopping a civil war in Ireland). This cannot work.

So, Parliament voted to take control of the agenda regarding Brexit after Theresa repeatedly tried to pass her almost entirely unchanged Brexit deal through Parliament and failed repeatedly. But here's where the Parliament ****ery comes in!

See, Corbyn actually wants us to leave the EU with a "jobs-first brexit". The backbenchers, don't trust Corbyn's strategy of not taking any brexit solution off the table, and want him to back a 2nd referendum (while you might say this is to stop brexit, it's also because both Leave.EU and Vote Leave have been shown to have broken laws regarding financing political campaigns, and hence the referendum result is dubious - hence, a 2nd referendum on the final deal is an excellent way to confirm that the people do want Brexit.). As a result of both the Tories being fractured between No Deal, May's Deal and alternatives that the Speaker of the House has selected for debate, no legislation can actually pass the House of Commons.

In reality, it's not that Parliament is trying to stop Brexit, it's that Parliament is so fractured and divided both within parties and outside of them, that they cannot agree on anything, and hence nothing is getting done.

This is because while between Remain and Leave, Leave seemed a firm choice, there's actually so many different possible deals to be struck that nobody can agree on how to leave.

Oh, and also the EU has to agree to the deal as well, so that could scupper plans as well.

Oh, and for your information, Nigel Farage's Brexit Party won't fix s***. They don't have a official policy on brexit yet and don't have a deal prepared. They won't be much use either. And take a look at all the critical EU legislation that he could've been interacting with and creating the best environment for the UK to operate in all this time... and look at how he just straight up didn't vote.

Blah blah blah, what parliament is doing is perfectly obvious to anyone, only a fool would deny that.
The people in a position of power do not wish for us to leave the EU, that is a fact.
One thing I don't understand about arguments against a second referendum is that it apparently goes against democracy since we've already had one. If brexiteers believe that brexit is still the "will of the people", surely this would be demonstrated in a second referendum?

Anyhow, a second referendum should not ask the same question, it should ask how we ought to proceed now we know a little more of the potential options. I would propose an Alternatemive Vote style referendum, whereby the public is asked how we should proceed, with options including:

1. May's deal
2. No deal
3. Single Market (Efta)
4. Customs Union
5. Remain.

If any option receives 50%+ of the vote, then that's the way we proceed. If it doesn't, the lowest ranking option is eliminated and the people who voted for it have their second preferences redistributed. If no majority is found again, then the same process applies with the remaining options (and so on until an option reaches 50%+).
Okay, fair play for being honest but this decision has been made and, although you fear the worst, things could well pan out better for the country and yourself as a whole, brexit just needs to be embraced for our great nation to succeed.

Most forecasts, including the government's, have the country as poorer for at least a generation. No deal brexit is apparently forecasted to drop GDP by 9% - an insanely large amount. Any responsible government and parliament should avoid making the country poorer at all costs. Embracong brexit isn't going to help the country's economy, so why bother?
Blah blah blah, what parliament is doing is perfectly obvious to anyone, only a fool would deny that.
The people in a position of power do not wish for us to leave the EU, that is a fact.

Are you kidding me? Do you not realise who is trying to oust Theresa May? Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson, Dominic Rabb. All brexiteers. The tories want brexit, labours position is pro-brexit (but focused on ensuring working class safety and job security). Hell, the only people who are against brexit are the SNP (because Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain) and the Liberal Democrats. who literally nobody cares about.

Instead of waving off my writing with “blah blah blah”, how about you read up on the situation and understand what’s happening in Parliament rather than write it all off as a “betrayal of democracy”, because that lack of engagement will result in a government nobody wants getting elected in the inevitable next general election.
Most forecasts, including the government's, have the country as poorer for at least a generation. No deal brexit is apparently forecasted to drop GDP by 9% - an insanely large amount. Any responsible government and parliament should avoid making the country poorer at all costs. Embracong brexit isn't going to help the country's economy, so why bother?

Embracing Brexit would definitely help us going forward, parliament has been fighting the outcome of the referendum from day one, had they actually done what they promised to do and backed the result then we would have got a better negotiated deal.
A bit of positive attitude and forward thinking goes a very long way, there are opportunities to push the UK and do trade deals that suit our needs and strengths but still there are many who are terrified of being outside of the EU because there will be some sort of doomsday scenario, that just won't happen because, and here's the kicker, as much as it is true that we need the EU's economy to remain strong the EU also need our economy to, that is the simple fact of the matter.
Original post by ThePootisPower
Are you kidding me? Do you not realise who is trying to oust Theresa May? Jacob Rees-Mogg, Boris Johnson, Dominic Rabb. All brexiteers. The tories want brexit, labours position is pro-brexit (but focused on ensuring working class safety and job security). Hell, the only people who are against brexit are the SNP (because Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain) and the Liberal Democrats. who literally nobody cares about.

Instead of waving off my writing with “blah blah blah”, how about you read up on the situation and understand what’s happening in Parliament rather than write it all off as a “betrayal of democracy”, because that lack of engagement will result in a government nobody wants getting elected in the inevitable next general election.

I do not need to read up on the situation, I have been following it for many years and can see what is going on, parliament is trying to subvert the result of the referendum and maybe what you are describing is what is needed to actually get out of the EU.
The Tories are not who I want leading the country but on this one very important issue I happen to agree with the likes of Davis and Rhys Mogg on the principal of what leaving means, as does Corbyn if he were being honest, parliament has been given a chance to do this properly and has failed due to their own subversion so now I, and many more with my beliefs will not be voting for any of the major parties come the next GE, the Brexit party is what we are going to be forced to vote for and that will be due to the negligence of those MP's who are trying to overturn the largest democratic decision that this country has ever made.
One thing I don't understand about arguments against a second referendum is that it apparently goes against democracy since we've already had one. If brexiteers believe that brexit is still the "will of the people", surely this would be demonstrated in a second referendum?

Anyhow, a second referendum should not ask the same question, it should ask how we ought to proceed now we know a little more of the potential options. I would propose an Alternatemive Vote style referendum, whereby the public is asked how we should proceed, with options including:

1. May's deal
2. No deal
3. Single Market (Efta)
4. Customs Union
5. Remain.

If any option receives 50%+ of the vote, then that's the way we proceed. If it doesn't, the lowest ranking option is eliminated and the people who voted for it have their second preferences redistributed. If no majority is found again, then the same process applies with the remaining options (and so on until an option reaches 50%+).

Unfortunately that's expensive and a bit tedious. A lot of people have lost interest and there won't be a 50% majority until only 2 options are left, by which time no one will bother to vote. Better just to put 2 options on the table, May's deal and remain.
Original post by DragonsOfAsshai
Unfortunately that's expensive and a bit tedious. A lot of people have lost interest and there won't be a 50% majority until only 2 options are left, by which time no one will bother to vote. Better just to put 2 options on the table, May's deal and remain.

How about May's deal or no deal.
Original post by DragonsOfAsshai

What legitimacy would that have? They are two options famous for being rejected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending