The Student Room Group

Revision for English Literature (A-Level)

Hi! This is my first post here and, in an effort to help other people, I wanted to talk about the way I revise for English Literature for A-Level.

For A-Level English Literature (Edexcel), with drama and prose, I do 'Hamlet', 'A Streetcar Named Desire', 'Beloved' and 'Picture of Dorian Gray' and for each of these, I make a Word Document for each and write annotations for each main quote per theme.

So:

--> Revenge (Hamlet)
"O horrible, O horrible, most horrible!
If thou hast nature in thee, bear it not.
Let not the royal bed of Denmark be
A couch for luxury and damnèd incest."
- repetition of 'horrible', emphasising sympathy for the ghost etc...etc...

I do this and then constantly revise over it, rereading and re-adding and editing as often as I visit it so that I become extremely familiar with the quotes.

What do you guys do? I'd like for this thread to become a conglomeration of different revision methods for different types of learners!

I hope my method helps you~!
Reply 1
Original post by kuddel_muddel
Hi! This is my first post here and, in an effort to help other people, I wanted to talk about the way I revise for English Literature for A-Level.

For A-Level English Literature (Edexcel), with drama and prose, I do 'Hamlet', 'A Streetcar Named Desire', 'Beloved' and 'Picture of Dorian Gray' and for each of these, I make a Word Document for each and write annotations for each main quote per theme.

So:

--> Revenge (Hamlet)

I do this and then constantly revise over it, rereading and re-adding and editing as often as I visit it so that I become extremely familiar with the quotes.

What do you guys do? I'd like for this thread to become a conglomeration of different revision methods for different types of learners!

Heyya
I do the same exam board as you!- I study Hamlet, Streetcar Named desire
Frankenstein and Handmaid's tale for prose
and poems of the decade and Victorian verse for poetry

What I do for Hamlet is I get the quotations and put them into themes- I try to analyse the quotation and how it relates to the theme
I also try and read outside of the play- or critical readings and alternative interpretations

Would it be okay if you shared your word documents?

Thanks
Reply 2
Original post by HKP24
Heyya
I do the same exam board as you!- I study Hamlet, Streetcar Named desire
Frankenstein and Handmaid's tale for prose
and poems of the decade and Victorian verse for poetry

What I do for Hamlet is I get the quotations and put them into themes- I try to analyse the quotation and how it relates to the theme
I also try and read outside of the play- or critical readings and alternative interpretations

Would it be okay if you shared your word documents?

Thanks

Yes, this would be incredibly helpful! (particularly for streetcar)
Reply 3
Yeahh what I also recommend is that, if you can, maybe try and watch the play on screen- there are a lot of clips on you tube etc.
It gives you a better understanding of character personality and reinforces the plot
Original post by 1312
Yes, this would be incredibly helpful! (particularly for streetcar)
Reply 4
Hi

I am doing same exam board too - Handmaid's Tale, Othello, Streetcar, Great Gatsby, Feminine Gospels and poetry pre 1900. I find writing essays, making mind-maps, watching clips on YouTube and revsion guides are really helpful. Also, having a thorough understanding of how to write the answers to questions is essential to do well in English Lit.
can you help me with othello pls
Original post by Nye2001
Hi

I am doing same exam board too - Handmaid's Tale, Othello, Streetcar, Great Gatsby, Feminine Gospels and poetry pre 1900. I find writing essays, making mind-maps, watching clips on YouTube and revsion guides are really helpful. Also, having a thorough understanding of how to write the answers to questions is essential to do well in English Lit.
hi is it okay if you share this with me, i can share my level 5 essays
Original post by kuddel_muddel

So:

--> Revenge (Hamlet)

Reply 7
Heyya

If you don't mind, would you be able to share your essays with me?

Thanks
Original post by Dilpreetsrah
hi is it okay if you share this with me, i can share my level 5 essays

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending