The Student Room Group

Is 3 years at sixth form worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How did you find doing full maths in year 13? How easy would you say it is to achieve an A/A*? And yes, I would be sitting with year 12 further maths next year!
Thank you for the help, I already emailed a few of the universities I wanted to go to and they said staying an extra year wouldn’t affect my application.
Original post by sophia5892
I did the full maths A Level in Year 13 (old A Level system). I was placed in the Year 12 group with students who would take Maths A Level in Year 12 and then do Further Maths A Level in year 13, so we were scheduled double the hours of a normal subject.

Assuming your sixth form is offering you the same, I'd say you should give it a go!
If you find it's too difficult or too high a workload, you can always switch to doing the A Level over two years like normal.

In terms of applying to uni:
Some courses do prefer or even stipulate that you should achieve the 3 A Levels in the same sitting - if you have any particular unis in mind it may be worth checking with them now. For the most part I believe unis use that rule as either they don't like students to do resits and/or they want students to prove they can cope with the workload of 3 subjects. Given your situation, where you'd have a normal 3 subject workload and wouldn't be resitting maths if you were to do a "year 14", unis may be flexible on this.
I found it fine - it was my easiest A Level and my only A*.... but as I say, I sat under the old system so I had 3 exams in January (Core 1, Core 2, Statistics 1) and 3 in June (Core 3, Core 4, Mechanics 1), and maths was always my best subject in high school.

For me, the maths was easier as it's more about memory - like I knew exactly what they'd be testing on each paper, I just had to remember how to do it. Whereas my other A Levels were French, German and Italian.... where I was a little more reliant on getting a good essay question to answer on the day.

I'm not sure how the new A Level compares... fewer exams as they're all in June, but presumably you'd have to remember a lot more for them!

It also helped that my maths teachers were super supportive. We moved onto Mechanics 2 content around April as everyone else would sit M2 in January of Year 13... given I wasn't continuing they were happy for me to skip those couple of classes or come to class and use it as revision time. Very helpful as I was always pretty bad at finding the motivation to study at home!
Original post by sopxia
How did you find doing full maths in year 13? How easy would you say it is to achieve an A/A*? And yes, I would be sitting with year 12 further maths next year!
Thank you for the help, I already emailed a few of the universities I wanted to go to and they said staying an extra year wouldn’t affect my application.
Reply 22
Wow you found maths easy and got an a* in a year! That’s actually so good
Luckily my maths teachers are really supportive aswell but unfortunately, the new spec is so demanding and much harder so yeah I might try the two years in one for a couple months and change if i find it too hard

Thanks for the help!
I found it fine - it was my easiest A Level and my only A*.... but as I say, I sat under the old system so I had 3 exams in January (Core 1, Core 2, Statistics 1) and 3 in June (Core 3, Core 4, Mechanics 1), and maths was always my best subject in high school.

For me, the maths was easier as it's more about memory - like I knew exactly what they'd be testing on each paper, I just had to remember how to do it. Whereas my other A Levels were French, German and Italian.... where I was a little more reliant on getting a good essay question to answer on the day.

I'm not sure how the new A Level compares... fewer exams as they're all in June, but presumably you'd have to remember a lot more for them!

It also helped that my maths teachers were super supportive. We moved onto Mechanics 2 content around April as everyone else would sit M2 in January of Year 13... given I wasn't continuing they were happy for me to skip those couple of classes or come to class and use it as revision time. Very helpful as I was always pretty bad at finding the motivation to study at home!
Original post by sopxia
Wow you found maths easy and got an a* in a year! That’s actually so good
Luckily my maths teachers are really supportive aswell but unfortunately, the new spec is so demanding and much harder so yeah I might try the two years in one for a couple months and change if i find it too hard

Thanks for the help!

Good luck - your teachers must think it’s possible if they’ll let you try it so might as well give it a go! :smile:
Reply 24
Thank you!
Good luck - your teachers must think it’s possible if they’ll let you try it so might as well give it a go! :smile:
Original post by sopxia
I am in year 12 and recently realised I need a level maths for the course I want to do at uni. I am confused as to whether or not I should complete a level maths in one year in year 13 or take an extra year out (year14) to finish it in 2 years.
Im also doing biology, chemistry and I dropped sociology for maths. Although Maths in one year will be a lot of work and may reduce my time spent on my other subjects, is it worth wasting a year?

If you were to decide you didn't want to take a further year to complete the Maths A level at college. Then online learning could be the answer. NEC offers the Edexcel Maths A level course which our tutor can help you get through in the 11 months you have left. But the option of 2021 exams will still be there. Call us on 0800 3892839.
Reply 26
Original post by Largest Bob
if you don't want to be a degenerate, yes.

imagine being a degenerate
should've picked maths to begin with
Original post by sopxia
I am in year 12 and recently realised I need a level maths for the course I want to do at uni. I am confused as to whether or not I should complete a level maths in one year in year 13 or take an extra year out (year14) to finish it in 2 years.
Im also doing biology, chemistry and I dropped sociology for maths. Although Maths in one year will be a lot of work and may reduce my time spent on my other subjects, is it worth wasting a year?

I started sixth form again because I simply hated my subject combination, I changed my subjects and started year 12 again, BEST decision I have EVER made. Not only would you get a proper understanding of the course rather than rushing it and panicking, and potentially not doing well, the subjects you keep, you'll perform SO much better! I went from a D to an A in History because I took the year again. I'm now able to apply and get places at all 5 Russel group unis, which I definitely couldn't before... Of course, nobody wants to do an extra year, but I mean do the negatives really outweigh? the positives? The benefits were enough for me :smile: It's not actually that much of a delay if you think about it. It goes so quick you don't even notice in my experience!
Reply 28
Thank you so much for the help. What subjects do you do now if you don’t mind me asking?
Also I think the one year thing was what put me off but I agree, it’s not even that long!

Original post by Sydney1520
I started sixth form again because I simply hated my subject combination, I changed my subjects and started year 12 again, BEST decision I have EVER made. Not only would you get a proper understanding of the course rather than rushing it and panicking, and potentially not doing well, the subjects you keep, you'll perform SO much better! I went from a D to an A in History because I took the year again. I'm now able to apply and get places at all 5 Russel group unis, which I definitely couldn't before... Of course, nobody wants to do an extra year, but I mean do the negatives really outweigh? the positives? The benefits were enough for me :smile: It's not actually that much of a delay if you think about it. It goes so quick you don't even notice in my experience!
Original post by sopxia
I think this just helped me to confirm my choice and now I don’t feel as bad for having to stay an extra year. I didn’t want to feel like I was left behind all my friends who will be going to university next year, but you’re right I shouldn’t rush. Thank you so much !

Great, happy to have helped! Good Luck with your A Levels!
I don't do the same subjects as you. I started off doing Biology, Chemistry, Sociology, and history with wanting to make a decision between dropping sociology or history. I now do Sociology, History, and English. Even though our subject combination is different I think you'll still find the doing better due to the extra year is still applicable! Honestly, I think you should g for it. I've never met anyone that has regret it going into uni as of course with the right work ethic you'll do even better, and presumably, go to a better uni. I think the only negative is that you think you have ALL this extra time, and you'll be okay to relax, etc, but as I found out you don't haha! So as long as you understand that you'll be fine. Sorry for the late reply, A-levels have dominated all my time. Did you perhaps make a decision?
Original post by sopxia
Thank you so much for the help. What subjects do you do now if you don’t mind me asking?
Also I think the one year thing was what put me off but I agree, it’s not even that long!
Reply 31
yeah I have decided to stay an extra year for maths. thanks for the help and good luck with your a levels!
Original post by Sydney1520
I don't do the same subjects as you. I started off doing Biology, Chemistry, Sociology, and history with wanting to make a decision between dropping sociology or history. I now do Sociology, History, and English. Even though our subject combination is different I think you'll still find the doing better due to the extra year is still applicable! Honestly, I think you should g for it. I've never met anyone that has regret it going into uni as of course with the right work ethic you'll do even better, and presumably, go to a better uni. I think the only negative is that you think you have ALL this extra time, and you'll be okay to relax, etc, but as I found out you don't haha! So as long as you understand that you'll be fine. Sorry for the late reply, A-levels have dominated all my time. Did you perhaps make a decision?
Original post by sopxia

You can easily do A Level Maths within a year without too much effort if you are good at maths.

Quick Reply

Latest