The Student Room Group

What to choose?

Hi guys.

I got three unconditional offers from the following universities: Surrey, Birmingham, Nottingham.

What should I choose ?

The best offer is from Nottingham, they just want an IELTS tests, while all the others pretend also some documents translated with the marks I got.

I'm applying from Italy.

Thanks for your help.
WiSi.

Scroll to see replies

It depends what you are looking for as Birmingham and Nottingham unis are both situated in much bigger and more ethnically diverse cities with more going on for students. Guildford, by contrast, is a much smaller city (it feels more like a town) which is predominantly white middle class and very expensive.

Birmingham and Nottingham unis also have better general reputations than Surrey, although you don't say what subject you intend to study?
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
It depends what you are looking for as Birmingham and Nottingham unis are both situated in much bigger and more ethnically diverse cities with more going on for students. Guildford, by contrast, is a much smaller city (it feels more like a town) which is predominantly white middle class and very expensive.

Birmingham and Nottingham unis also have better general reputations than Surrey, although you don't say what subject you intend to study?

Sorry, it's my fault, I thought I wrote it.
I intend to study business.

Is the city of Surrey really expensive ?
Original post by WiSi
Sorry, it's my fault, I thought I wrote it.
I intend to study business.

Is the city of Surrey really expensive ?

Yes, it's almost as expensive as London whereas the other two would be significantly cheaper
Reply 4
Yes, it's almost as expensive as London whereas the other two would be significantly cheaper

So, which is better considering my course?

And just for curiosity, why is that expensive, considering it's a small town?
Original post by WiSi

It's mostly inhabited by the upper middle class.
It's very southern, very middle class, very nice. Lots of professional people live in Surrey and commute into London hence the high prices for property and everything else.

I would pick one of the other two personally (not just because of the cost but also for their better reputations) but I can't tell you which uni is right for you. They are both very good unis for Business.
Nottingham is pretty cheap
Reply 8
It's very southern, very middle class, very nice. Lots of professional people live in Surrey and commute into London hence the high prices for property and everything else.

I would pick one of the other two personally (not just because of the cost but also for their better reputations) but I can't tell you which uni is right for you. They are both very good unis for Business.

People in the south of Uk are more rich?

I mean, does exist all this huge differences between different parts of Uk?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Can I ask how much does it count the "prestige" of the universities once you are looking for a job?

I'm asking because there are people that from Uk go to study for instance, medicine in second world countries.
Original post by WiSi
People in the south of Uk are more rich?

Can I ask how much does it count the "prestige" of the universities once you are looking for a job?

I'm asking because there are people that from Uk go to study for instance, medicine in second world countries.

Generally, yes.

Prestige is important to some people and for some careers in the UK - not medicine actually, since a medical degree will pretty much guarantee you can become a doctor no matter where you studied it.
Reply 10
Generally, yes.

Prestige is important to some people and for some careers in the UK - not medicine actually, since a medical degree will pretty much guarantee you can become a doctor no matter where you studied it.

Is this something like buying a degree?
I mean, is this marketing or a university that is ranked 50th give a better preparation than one that is ranked 70th?

With few exceptions, I saw a lot of great people coming from not well known universities.
Original post by WiSi

City of Surrey doesn't exist - it is Brighton. Your best choice is Nottingham
Assuming you are referring to the "City of Surrey" - load of *******s. Brighton is very mixed in terms of socioeconomic class.
Original post by ANO-NI-MUS
It's mostly inhabited by the upper middle class.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
City of Surrey doesn't exist - it is Brighton. Your best choice is Nottingham

Eh? Surrey University is in Guildford, it's Sussex Uni that's in Brighton
Eh? Surrey University is in Guildford, it's Sussex Uni that's in Brighton

Yes sorry - you are absolutely right - but it is still not a city... and I would still pick Nottingham as the best university ( feeling a bit frazzled this evening)
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Yes sorry - you are absolutely right - but it is still not a city... and I would still pick Nottingham as the best university ( feeling a bit frazzled this evening)

I would probably pick Nottingham too :smile:
Hi @WiSi
Some people prefer a smaller setting so if that's you, then go for Surrey. Otherwise, it's Birmingham or Nottingham.
Reputation wise, Birmingham or Nottingham are similar and better known than Surrey. Likely to be cheaper too for living costs. Fees wise, they're all the same.
If you're mad keen on London, then go for Surrey. Also, probably has more flights to Italy from its numerous airports.
Employability stats are generated by each uni but difficult to compare if their graduates secured jobs related to their degree or jobs that they wanted. Birmingham or Nottingham will probably have many of the large employers looking to recruit their graduates.
If it was me, I'd go for Nottingham or Birmingham
Reply 17
Original post by Splishsplash
Hi @WiSi
Some people prefer a smaller setting so if that's you, then go for Surrey. Otherwise, it's Birmingham or Nottingham.
Reputation wise, Birmingham or Nottingham are similar and better known than Surrey. Likely to be cheaper too for living costs. Fees wise, they're all the same.
If you're mad keen on London, then go for Surrey. Also, probably has more flights to Italy from its numerous airports.
Employability stats are generated by each uni but difficult to compare if their graduates secured jobs related to their degree or jobs that they wanted. Birmingham or Nottingham will probably have many of the large employers looking to recruit their graduates.
If it was me, I'd go for Nottingham or Birmingham

Thanks guys for the support.
And what about between Birmingham and Nottingham?

Which are the pros of each?

From Italy I heard few things of Birmingham while I know nothing from Nottingham.

Thanks
WiSi.
Hi @WiSi, They're both cities, population wise Birmingham is about a million and Nottingham is about a third of that, so both should have plenty of options. There are 4 unis in Birmingham and 2 in Nottingham so they'll cater well for students. As with all cities there'll be nice and dodgy places but both are fine if you keep your wits and common sense about you. So living wise, there's not much too choose unless you want a LOT of variety, then choose Birmingham.
I would say the main differentiator would be which course you prefer.
Original post by WiSi
Thanks guys for the support.
And what about between Birmingham and Nottingham?

Which are the pros of each?

From Italy I heard few things of Birmingham while I know nothing from Nottingham.

Thanks
WiSi.
Reply 19
Guys I really don't know what to choose, is like playing dice.

I like this situations.

For Nottingham: This offer is subject to you obtaining

IELTS (Academic) with an overall score of 7.0 with no less than 7.0 in Reading and Writing and no
less than 6.0 in Listening and Speaking

And Birmingham: This offer is subject to you obtaining
Verification of

Italy Diploma di Esame di Stato with 100 overall including 15/15 in Mathematics

and

Pass an English test approved by this institution

Please refer to: https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/requirements/international/index.aspx

and

Please provide a satisfactory academic reference, signed and on headed paper, by 19th July 2019.

Please send evidence of your qualification(s) to the Admissions Office by 19th July 2019.

For details on what evidence is acceptable for verification please see:
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/university/colleges/professional/external/admissions/verification.aspx

From youtube Birmingham seems to have a beautiful structure and campus, but is maybe stupid to decide on this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending