The Student Room Group

Degree

Hi,
Just wanted to ask..
Haven’t done as well this year as I did in first year so if I average a 2:2 in 2nd year (worth 30%)
What grades would I need in 3rd year to average a 2:1 or first overall???
Thanks in advance
A 2:2 is a 10 mark grade band. If you want people to do the maths for you it would be best to say what mark you expect to get for 2nd year.
It's hard to tell without an exact average. A 2:2 can be anywhere from 50-59 percent, and so the average you'd need could differ quite dramatically.

At worst case scenario if you scored literally 50% you'd need at least 65% in final year to get a 2.1 at the lowest.

(This also depends on your university's grading policies etc.)
Original post by MidgetFever
It's hard to tell without an exact average. A 2:2 can be anywhere from 50-59 percent, and so the average you'd need could differ quite dramatically.

At worst case scenario if you scored literally 50% you'd need at least 65% in final year to get a 2.1 at the lowest.

^
Yep as MidgetFever said check your policies. For my university if you get 50% of your modules in the upper band in your case 2,1. Your degree gets rounded up if based on the formula your final score reaches 58.01%.
Reply 4
Original post by toy&halo
A 2:2 is a 10 mark grade band. If you want people to do the maths for you it would be best to say what mark you expect to get for 2nd year.

Ah okay thank you!
I have currently got 58 but I’m still awaiting marks for 2 more assessments which could bring that average grade up or down
Reply 5
Thank you!
I’m on 58% but awaiting marks for 2 more assessments which could affect this,
Say I got 58-60 in second year, what would I need in 3rd, for a high 2:1//first overall?
Original post by MidgetFever

Reply 6
Thank you!
Where can I find my university’s policies?

Original post by Themysticalegg
^
Yep as MidgetFever said check your policies. For my university if you get 50% of your modules in the upper band in your case 2,1. Your degree gets rounded up if based on the formula your final score reaches 58.01%.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you!
I’m on 58% but awaiting marks for 2 more assessments which could affect this,
Say I got 58-60 in second year, what would I need in 3rd, for a high 2:1//first overall?

You should be able to work this out yourself if you want to experiment with the values between 58-60.

https://unigradecalc.com/

Just put your years weight in the percentage part and what you believe your average for this year is, then you should be able to figure out your aim for next year.

And obviously check your grading policies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending