The Student Room Group

My university has massively rounded up people's final grades...

Just a little rant...

I've worked hard throughout uni and have come out with a strong low First, as I knew I would from receiving consistently high 60s and mid/low 70s and working out my scores.

However, many many many of my course friends were lazy with working and would get a mix of scores from 50s to 60s to 70s (when they actually tried). They have almost all come out with Firsts now, which I found very strange as my very rough estimates of their grades (what they had reported getting, anyway) gave them mid 60s.

So my housemate printed off her scores and left them on the table so I worked out what her grades equalled to and she should have got 67.9. So our University rounded her up by 2.1 marks.

Is that normal? It seems a bit much to me and doesn't feel fair.

INB4 you're a terrible friend and should be happy for her. I am, but I am also competitive and I like people to get the marks they 'deserve' :innocent:

TLDR: Is it normal for Universities to round up by over 2 marks?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maid Marian
Just a little rant...

I've worked hard throughout uni and have come out with a strong low First, as I knew I would from receiving consistently high 60s and mid/low 70s and working out my scores.

However, many many many of my course friends were lazy with working and would get a mix of scores from 50s to 60s to 70s (when they actually tried). They have almost all come out with Firsts now, which I found very strange as my very rough estimates of their grades (what they had reported getting, anyway) gave them mid 60s.

So my housemate printed off her scores and left them on the table so I worked out what her grades equalled to and she should have got 67.9. So our University rounded her up by 2.1 marks.

INB4 you're a terrible friend and should be happy for her. I am, but I am also competitive and I like people to get the marks they 'deserve' :innocent:

This has become very common place now unfortunately. Universities often now have regulations for borderline 1st where you get 70-68 or borderline 2.1 58-60.

This is a result of increasing publications by the Complete Uni Guide, Guardian, Which uni. Where teaching quality of degree = degree result (even tho this is obviously BS), also employers are having a blanket rule requiring a 2.1 now due to the rise of student numbers.

When i got my 1st class degree, i was similarly disappointed when i found out how many average students achieved a 1st.
Degrees nowadays don't mean what they used to as its now commonplace for 70-80% of grads to achieve a 2.1 & in some degrees 20-30% are getting a 1st.

The only people i think can resolve this is QAA, insisting on stricter standards, maybe have more regulation on how universities can award degrees. Stricter final grade standards would be better, top students achievements should not be diluted like they are today, i think the grading system needs to be fundamentally changed as 1st or 2.1 are the only 2 passing grades, i think there needs to be more acceptable degree tiers at least with GPA or A*-E grades its very clear how well you performed relative to your piers. Maybe final grades should just be your degree average ie '76%' actually written on the certificate not 'first class hons' (essentially GPA slotted onto the british mark method)
Reply 2
Never seen it in person. Glad our place doesn't do it.
Doesn't matter, it's their life not yours. You could complain anonymously but what's the point lad
Why worry about other people's scores?
How do you know they were lazy or indeed why they got the scores they did in their modules? What worries you so much about other people getting a first. Worry about yourself not them. Being competitive is one thing but actually wanted your friends to get a worse grade than you to make you feel better is rather sad.

What were you doing reading someone else's stuff? Even if the left it on the table you had no right to read it. And you can hardly argue that it was a quick glance since you obviously got your calculator out and worked out their average.
Just a little rant...

My university "rounds up", AKA adds 1%, to anything that ends in a 9 i.e. 59% becomes 60% etc.

In practice this means that 58.5% gets rounded up to 59% through regular maths, then up to 60% via "magical" rounding.

2% is weird though. It might be a policy, but I wonder whether it's your calculation error. Did you "round up" each individual assessment's marks, or just calculate a grand total and divide? Because the former could involve multiple roundings to increase the overall mark.
Why would you even bother sitting and calculating someone else's marks, to prove they should have been awarded a worse grade? Just focus on your own grade, it's great, well done you. But to try and devalue somebody else's achievements isn't cool IMO.

It's probably just one of the first of many times that you will find that life isn't actually fair.

EDIT: Also, our uni put more weight on certain modules, like the dissertation and the written exams, and less weight on assignments through the year. In addition, our third year was worth more than second, and first didn't count at all. Are you sure you know how much each module is even worth?
(edited 4 years ago)
Mine did too. I was also pissed to find out that nearly half my course (many of whom were lazy and not that smart) got the 'same grade' as me... when I was several % higher and had worked hard for that. I don't think it's bad to be a bit annoyed, they are essentially devaluing all the work you've put in.
Did you discount the lowest 20 credits?
Did you count how many credits were in the higher classification.
Did you read the rules for classifying degrees at Cumbria or just do a credit weighted average and assume that is how it works?
Original post by chazwomaq
My university "rounds up", AKA adds 1%, to anything that ends in a 9 i.e. 59% becomes 60% etc.

In practice this means that 58.5% gets rounded up to 59% through regular maths, then up to 60% via "magical" rounding.

2% is weird though. It might be a policy, but I wonder whether it's your calculation error. Did you "round up" each individual assessment's marks, or just calculate a grand total and divide? Because the former could involve multiple roundings to increase the overall mark.

Or the committee that awards the degrees might have used their discretion -- which is pretty much absolute in a lot of cases -- to give the classification they thought the candidate "deserved". If it's a small course where the academics know the students well, I would speculate that this is more likely.

Anyway, OP. Get over it. You got the first you worked hard for and anyone who sees your transcript will see that. Now focus on your career.
Bit pathetic that you were so insecure about your friends grades and work ethics that you actually took the time to work out their average; instead why not just be happy for them?
My 69.17 was not rounded to a first :angry: and I would have definitely got one if I didn't have my neurological illness preventing me from revising for exams. I worked hard all year and it was the biggest slap in the face.
OP worked hard. Her friends never.

Wouldn't you be miffed that all the sacrifices you made for 2/3 years were for naught.
Just a little rant...

Easy just go and read the university grading rules and check whether they have complied with them or not. If they have not then complain and report and if they have then you have nothing to complain about.
68 is basically a first in my eyes, don't really see why you seem so entitled as you got like 4 % more.
She has no evidence to say that her friends never worked hard, unless she was with them in person 24/7 she doesn’t know how hard they worked or not. No disrespect to her or her friends either, but they go to the University of Cumbria, it’s not exactly a high ranking university and ex poly’s are notorious for being easy on their students
Original post by Notoriety

Wouldn't you be miffed that all the sacrifices you made for 2/3 years were for naught.
Reply 16
Original post by Notoriety

I am a little surprised at some of the responses, I have to say.
Ok OP is a bit weird counting up soneones marks. But idk why people can't see where they're coming from

By inflating the amount of people on 1sts, you're lowering the value of them. So suddenly working hard means less and less.
Original post by whydoidothis?
68 is basically a first in my eyes, don't really see why you seem so entitled as you got like 4 % more.

Why stop there with that logic. Lets make 66% a first. Its just 2% less, no big deal
The rules for classification at that university aren't just a mathematical average of all the marks. OP has gone quiet so we have no way of knowing if they actually understand that and worked out the mark correctly - discounting the correct amount of low mark credits and considering the secondary preponderance rules.

I can imagine being bothered if there was actual evidence that the university didn't apply their own rules fairly but there's little evidence of that.
Some 'fudging' does go on, and one lecturer admitted this to me, too. It was especially suspicious the year I graduated with my Masters, when a lot of people seemed to be getting multiple modules scoring exactly 50%, which is precisely the pass mark (for masters-level courses). I didn't see a single person who failed a module by just 1 mark.

A lot of people got firsts at my university, too (some would argue too many), but I didn't care -- I had my own goals (one of which was winning at least one academic prize, and the other was getting at least 80% overall).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending