The Student Room Group

Would A-Level Art be too hard without the GCSE?

I am thinking about taking Art for my A-Levels, however I did not take Fine Art or Photography for my GCSEs. I am willing to send in a portfolio of all of my artwork from the past year and I was wondering if it would be too challenging considering I have not experienced the workload and deadlines of GCSE Art, therefore I will not be prepared for A-Level. Do you think it would be too difficult?
I did gcse art and I dont think that the lack of experience will hinder you in any way. Besided youve probably experienced deadlines in terms of revising for gcses. as long as you are willing to commit to the subjects difficulty no experience is needed
Original post by likeable ravioli
I did gcse art and I dont think that the lack of experience will hinder you in any way. Besided youve probably experienced deadlines in terms of revising for gcses. as long as you are willing to commit to the subjects difficulty no experience is needed

Thank you, I am prepared for how difficult the subject is, but I love the subject, and not taking it for my GCSEs is a huge regret of mine. I really hope I can catch up!
Reply 3
Just want to say the same as @likable ravioli absolutely no problem a passion for subject is all that is needed but coursework is massive. Be warned.
Original post by student queries
I am thinking about taking Art for my A-Levels, however I did not take Fine Art or Photography for my GCSEs. I am willing to send in a portfolio of all of my artwork from the past year and I was wondering if it would be too challenging considering I have not experienced the workload and deadlines of GCSE Art, therefore I will not be prepared for A-Level. Do you think it would be too difficult?

Thank you, I am prepared for how difficult the subject is, but I love the subject, and not taking it for my GCSEs is a huge regret of mine. I really hope I can catch up!
I don't take art so I'm very much a layman from this area - take what I say with a grain of salt. I'm not trying to deter you here, but I think you should consider these two things:

From what I've heard from my friends I'd say that you'll need to be extremely skilled and able to work toward developing coursework using various media and vastly different styles. I've heard of some borderline photo-realistic paintings being given Bs, so keep in mind that standards are high (in my school, at least).

Another concern is the fact that there is a lot of work to be done. My friend (who does IGCSE Art and Design) told me that they had to do around 60 pieces of coursework by sometime in year 11. I don't know about the level of rigour at A-level but definitely brace yourself - especially if you're doing challenging subjects.
Reply 5
As long as you can draw and like drawing you'll be fine but the coursework will probably be more and will require more time than other subjects that only have written coursework. I did GCSE Art but didn't study anything relating to art at college but then at uni I went into a design course and the coursework was a lot more than GCSE Art resulting in many sleep deprived nights. Good luck and brace yourself, it won't be easy.

Well judging from my experiences from my mates who actually did a-level art, its GCSE art (which i did) but on drugs/more intense. That along with you don't really learn anything (at least relevant to what I want to do) like fundamentals (body proportions, perspective, composition). Thankfully I never chose a-level art, I think it was the right choice as it gave me loads of room to learn those fundamentals.

If you haven't done GCSE you'll probably will struggle with managing the workload and time, and it might affect your other a-levels.
(edited 4 years ago)
Very late to the party but hi there!

If u have decided to bow take a level art at ur selected college or sixth form I should probably send u a word of warning.

I've just finished GCSE art and am going on to a level art but only because art is my passion otherwise I'd never do it. I managed to get a Grade 9 (possibly three highest marks ever in the country as well) since I really wanted to do well. I spent 20 hours or over on nearly every piece of art in my sketchbook and truly dedicated my life for 2 years to the subject just about finishing all the work I needed to do.

I am prepared to commit even more hours to my a level art as my drawings improve more (always room for improvement) and am prepared to sacrifice even more than I did last year in order to get a top grade.

anyway if ur wanting to take a level art and get a good grade (obvs) without having experienced the sacrifice and commitment needed to get a fab grade at GCSE I sincerely wish u good luck coz that is a massive task ahead of u.

sorry if I scared u its just people take a level art as a pinch of salt and believe it to only be a slight step up from GCSE art when they haven't gotten a high grade at GCSE art therefore when they get to a level they get the shock of their lives as ur expected to work above a GCSE grade 9 standard for a high grade.

good luck 👍🏼💕

GCSE Art is a though and lengthy GCSE. It's stressful, with short deadlines and excessive work and really puts the pressure on you! But it is worth it in the end. It is mainly coursework based, so you can take your sketch book home before deadlines, it's of course creative and gives you the freedom to explore your own passions and the stress of a three hour exam -predominant within A Level's- is not there. A-Level Art will be though, you'll need dedication and a love for art to come out with top grades, but not doing the GCSE won't prevent you from any success. Sure it'll be a bit of a disadvantage, if others have done it for GCSE and already know how presentation and art generally works, but with a supportive A-Level environment you will learn quickly, and there's plenty of help to get to grips with the subject. If you want to do it, go for it! But also be prepared and aware that the first few weeks will not be easy.

Quick Reply

Latest