The Student Room Group

Is Politics A level respected?

Not sure whether I want to do Politics or a science for a level alongside history and maths. Was thinking about taking history at uni as it’s my favourite subject but I’m not entirely set on that. Will a science open more doors?
If you’re doing history at University, definitely don’t do science. It would probably be accepted, but politics seems to work a lot better.
Reply 2
Original post by clarecassar
Not sure whether I want to do Politics or a science for a level alongside history and maths. Was thinking about taking history at uni as it’s my favourite subject but I’m not entirely set on that. Will a science open more doors?

If history is your favourite subject and something you want to pursue further and study in depth for quite a long time, then you should definitely go for it!!

Government and politics isn’t ‘facilitating’ as classified by the Russel Group unis, but even as someone who doesn’t study it, I think it should be and probably will end up being. Either way, it’s still very well respected and compliments subjects like history, English and economics really well. So I’d definitely recommend it alongside history and maths, especially if history is your passion :smile:
please study what you enjoy not what is "respected"
Original post by Kristen1283
If you’re doing history at University, definitely don’t do science. It would probably be accepted, but politics seems to work a lot better.

Yeah, it’s just I’m not 100% sure if I want to take it at uni so was wondering if taking a science would help if I did change my mind
Problem is, I enjoy most subjects.
Original post by res ipsa loq
please study what you enjoy not what is "respected"
I just don’t know what I want to study. I was thinking about becoming a history teacher when I’m older as I do love history but I’m not sure.
Original post by lemmens
If history is your favourite subject and something you want to pursue further and study in depth for quite a long time, then you should definitely go for it!!

Government and politics isn’t ‘facilitating’ as classified by the Russel Group unis, but even as someone who doesn’t study it, I think it should be and probably will end up being. Either way, it’s still very well respected and compliments subjects like history, English and economics really well. So I’d definitely recommend it alongside history and maths, especially if history is your passion :smile:

This is terrible advice. There's no reason why OP can't do a science if they really wanted to. Politics may be more relevant than a science to the OP's potential degree choice of History but admission teams generally don't care what the other 2 A levels are as as long as A level History is included.

Don't worry about what's respected and what's not. Unfortunately, myths about subjects still continue to be perpetuated by misinformed students and teachers. For example, many consider A level Law to be a 'weak' subject and yet both Oxford and Cambridge (among many other elite universities) have gone on record to say that A level Law is perfectly acceptable. If A level Law is accepted and not considered weak, then A level Politics will definitely be OK.

Ergo, do the subjects that you're interested in / the ones that will help you get the best grades / the one(s) that you may potentially want to study at university. :fluffy:
(edited 4 years ago)
I just don’t know what I want to study. I was thinking about becoming a history teacher when I’m older as I do love history but I’m not sure.

Just so you know, becoming a History teacher isn't the only profession you can go onto doing after a degree in it...

You could go into finance, become a diplomat, go into management or practice Law etc etc.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Quick-use
This is terrible advice. There's no reason why OP can't do a science if they really wanted to. Politics may be more relevant than a science to the OP's potential degree choice of History but admission teams generally don't care what the other 2 A levels are as as long as A level History is included.

It is not terrible advice:smile: I told OP science would probably be accepted, but assured them that politics would work better with history which is true. It seems OP is worried about the rep of the A Level so needs someone to reaffirm that it’s a perfectly acceptable A Level.

I've emboldened the advice part of your comment.

Telling someone to definitely not do a science is, in fact, terrible advice. While a science may not complement History as well as Politics, as far as subject combinations go it would 100% be accepted by universities, including Oxbridge, alongside A level History and Maths to apply to read a degree in History.
(edited 4 years ago)
I've emboldened the advice part of your comment.

Telling someone to definitely not do a science is, in fact, terrible advice. While a science may not complement History as well as Politics, as far as subject combinations go it would 100% be accepted by universities, including Oxbridge, alongside A level History and Maths to read a degree in History.

In my defense, I definitely don’t remember writing that😳😳
In my defense, I definitely don’t remember writing that😳😳

Not sure that would hold up in court :biggrin:

(sorry I've been hanging around the Law forum for too long!)

Don’t worry about it too much. I actually made the wrong decision with my a-levels but my college let me change one to something completely different at the end of September.

When applying to uni and writing the personal statement, it’s good to be able to link your subjects to the course you want to study. If you enjoy all the different subjects and this is why you can’t decide, then I’d recommend taking politics just because it will compliment history so well, give you more to talk about and will highlight your passion and talents in essay writing. It is highly respected by all universities!!

That being said, if you love science and really wanted to study say chemistry, then you should totally go for that. If you wanted to change or found it wasn’t for you, that’s okay. You just seem to have a really strong passion for history, and being a teacher is only one door that that will open :smile:
Original post by harrysbar
Not sure that would hold up in court :biggrin:

(sorry I've been hanging around the Law forum for too long!)

Not even with a smile? Harsh
Original post by lemmens

Government and politics isn’t ‘facilitating’ as classified by the Russel Group unis,

'Facilitating subjects' was an LSE obsession - and its now been formally dumped by RG Unis.
See https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

And for reliable advice about How to pick your A level Subjects see : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/a-guide-to-choosing-your-sixth-form-subjects The most important thing is to pick subjects you enjoy - because that means you are more likely to get top grades.
Don’t worry, I know that! History is a really good degree for many jobs that basically don’t involve science. I just have always liked the thought of teaching. :smile:
Just so you know, becoming a History teacher isn't the only profession you can go onto doing after a degree in it...

You could go into finance, become a diplomat, go into management or practice Law etc etc.

Quick Reply

Latest