The Student Room Group

Medify vs 6med

Hello everyone,

What's the best cost effective platform for practicing and learning about the BMAT and/or the UCAT?

I'll be giving my UCAT latest by 1st Oct, and my BMAT on 30th Oct.

For UCAT, I'll be subscribing for 2 months, and the BMAT one month (if that's enough, I'm yet to decide how I should split my time to study each or only one)

Medify
UCAT for 2 months is £45
BMAT in Oct is £35

6med has a lot of options
UCAT Crash Course Online- £99
BMAT Crash Course online- £99
UCAT ninja- £35
BMAT ninja- £75 (they actually have three areas that are £29 each: training temple, practice dojo and exam arena)
Booster programme- £1450 (this is a 10 hour private tuition that gives additional help with BMAT, UCAT, personal statement etc, which is what I'm looking for but at a reduced price, so I'll probably ask for bursaries.)

For now, I'm sure I'm going to do the UCAT first, give it by Sep 30, so need to start preparation asap. Since medify has more questions for the UCAT than 6med, I thought I'd go via that route. I'm not yet sure if I'll be doing the BMAT, so I'll subscribe for that later on after my UCAT results.

However, the Booster program includes both BMAT and UCAT, plus preparatory material (I don't know what exactly that includes-- if it's all website resources or more). So if I'm going with Medify for UCAT, I wouldn't want 6med program giving me UCAT material as well (will have to clarify that with them). Maybe I can customise the program such that I have help mainly on personal statement for the time being, if I want to do the BMAT, then that too, doubts on the UCAT, if interviews, then I save my hours for later on.

Anyway I think I'm getting carried away. Please have a look into respective websites to figure out more details like the number of questions each website has on each exam etc. Oh and also, I can practice section 2 of BMAT on the CAIE site so perhaps I don't need an crash course on BMAT (ofc, I'll need introduction on section 1 and 3 but perhaps I can look up free resources on that, or just subscribe to BMAT ninja)
(edited 4 years ago)
If it helps, my son has just started third year of Oxford medicine.

He recommends you use medify for ucat and bmat ninja for bmat
Reply 2
medify for ukcat, past papers for bmat
Reply 3
Original post by Oxford Mum
If it helps, my son has just started third year of Oxford medicine.

He recommends you use medify for ucat and bmat ninja for bmat

Tell him those were the very choices I was going to make and please thank him so much for confirming my choices!! Could you please further ask:

1) whether he took online crash course for the BMAT from 6med?

2) whether he had any tutoring for UCAT/BMAT?

3) How many weeks did he spend preparing for each exam?

4) What were the 3 other universities that he applied to?

5) what resources did he use for interviews and personal statement? Or did he have a tutor to aid him?

6) why medicine?

Also tell him he's really a role model of mine, being a halfway medical graduate from Oxford, congratulations! I'm so sorry for bombarding you with so many questions but it'd really help!! Ofc if I had to pick between long story or short, I'd go with the former as I need as much insight as possible!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by S Aliya
Tell him those were the very choices I was going to make and please thank him so much for confirming my choices!! Could you please further ask:

1) whether he took online crash course for the BMAT from 6med?

2) whether he had any tutoring for UCAT/BMAT?

3) How many weeks did he spend preparing for each exam?

4) What were the 3 other universities that he applied to?

5) what resources did he use for interviews and personal statement? Or did he have a tutor to aid him?

6) why medicine?

Also tell him he's really a role model of mine, being a halfway medical graduate from Oxford, congratulations! I'm so sorry for bombarding you with so many questions but it'd really help!! Ofc if I had to pick between long story or short, I'd go with the former as I need as much insight as possible!

Hi @S Aliya. Please do not be sorry, and please do not think you are "bombarding" me with questions. Most people who do approach me do so with trepidation and think they are bothering me. This could not be further from the truth.

It is my stated aim to help TSRians to get into Oxford, particularly state school pupils, who message me to say they have no idea how to go about applying. I have even written a book called Oxford Demystified, which is not available in book shops, but is being blogged on TSR for free. Yesterday I published the main chapter, "Making your application to Oxford". I will tag you in when I publicise it later today. I wrote a chapter about how my son got into Oxford med school from my point of view, including all the resources he used, etc, and how I felt during the process. My son has also written a chapter about his journey from A level student to Oxford, including why he chose medicine and what the course is really like. Also how he coped with the pressure. Please see the two links below:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6019726

My chapter

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6044384

My son's chapter.

To address the other questions you have (not answered in the book)

No, he did not have a tutor.

He went on a Medic Portal course for UCAT and BMAT, but felt they were not necessary. If you are not going on a course, you need a BMAT practice book. Then as soon as you have finished the book, you need to practice every day using Medify (UCAT) and BMAT Ninja (BMAT).

I think my son bought a month's worth of questions before he took both exams. Or maybe spilled over into two months, can't remember. This is how long he spent preparing.

Don't forget your school work during the time you are practising for UCAT/BMAT.

The three other med schools he applied to were

Edinburgh (rejected)
Kings College London (offer)
Sheffield (offer)

He prefers Oxford though, because he is very academic and loves researching. He does not know how he feels about clinical work (as Oxford medics are not on the wards until year 4) but is looking forward to it.
Reply 5
Hi @S Aliya. Please do not be sorry, and please do not think you are "bombarding" me with questions. Most people who do approach me do so with trepidation and think they are bothering me. This could not be further from the truth.

It is my stated aim to help TSRians to get into Oxford, particularly state school pupils, who message me to say they have no idea how to go about applying. I have even written a book called Oxford Demystified, which is not available in book shops, but is being blogged on TSR for free. Yesterday I published the main chapter, "Making your application to Oxford". I will tag you in when I publicise it later today. I wrote a chapter about how my son got into Oxford med school from my point of view, including all the resources he used, etc, and how I felt during the process. My son has also written a chapter about his journey from A level student to Oxford, including why he chose medicine and what the course is really like. Also how he coped with the pressure. Please see the two links below:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6019726

My chapter

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6044384

My son's chapter.

To address the other questions you have (not answered in the book)

No, he did not have a tutor.

He went on a Medic Portal course for UCAT and BMAT, but felt they were not necessary. If you are not going on a course, you need a BMAT practice book. Then as soon as you have finished the book, you need to practice every day using Medify (UCAT) and BMAT Ninja (BMAT).

I think my son bought a month's worth of questions before he took both exams. Or maybe spilled over into two months, can't remember. This is how long he spent preparing.

Don't forget your school work during the time you are practising for UCAT/BMAT.

The three other med schools he applied to were

Edinburgh (rejected)
Kings College London (offer)
Sheffield (offer)

He prefers Oxford though, because he is very academic and loves researching. He does not know how he feels about clinical work (as Oxford medics are not on the wards until year 4) but is looking forward to it.

Oh my goodness thank you so much! You're truly such a blessing! I'll get to reading them asap, but before I do so, I quickly just want to ask your opinion on how to split my time whilst practicing. So, focus entirely on UCAT, give the exam, then do BMAT? Or prepare for them simultaneously? (I can give UCAT anytime before Oct 2 and haven't started proper preparation yet, and BMAT is on 30 Oct. Again, haven't started preparing) Also, for section two of BMAT, I'll be using the CAIE website as they have all the resources as per the syllabus. And I can prepare for the rest using BMAT ninja and free resources. However if I feel I'm not grasping the entire picture I'll go for the online BMAT crash course (6med) or a BMAT book (which one would you recommend?). Do you think this is optimal, or should do a course first then practice?

Also, I'm being told that statistically, you need about 10A*s in GCSEs to be even considered for Oxford, and those that do have around that many are the ones that get in, comparitively. I've gotten 4A*s and 3As in my IGCSEs. The very reason I'm doing BMAT, spending money and time on preparation is for Oxford. If I won't be considered, then..
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by S Aliya
Oh my goodness thank you so much! You're truly such a blessing! I'll get to reading them asap, but before I do so, I quickly just want to ask your opinion on how to split my time whilst practicing. So, focus entirely on UCAT, give the exam, then do BMAT? Or prepare for them simultaneously? (I can give UCAT anytime before Oct 2 and haven't started proper preparation yet, and BMAT is on 30 Oct. Again, haven't started preparing) Also, for section two of BMAT, I'll be using the CAIE website as they have all the resources as per the syllabus. And I can prepare for the rest using BMAT ninja and free resources. However if I feel I'm not grasping the entire picture I'll go for the online BMAT crash course (6med) or a BMAT book (which one would you recommend?). Do you think this is optimal, or should do a course first then practice?

Also, I'm being told that statistically, you need about 10A*s in GCSEs to be even considered for Oxford, and those that do have around that many are the ones that get in, comparitively. I've gotten 4A*s and 3As in my IGCSEs. The very reason I'm doing BMAT, spending money and time on preparation is for Oxford. If I won't be considered, then..

I would do the UCAT first so you are not doing it at the same time as the BMAT. Otherwise it will be difficult if you are juggling both tests and your schoolwork at the same time. I do not know about the online crash course, as my son did the Medic Portal course. He did not think it was necessary to pass the BMAT and it can be expensive. The course came with a free book, "mastering the BMAT" and he used this before the BMAT Ninja questions.

Yes, you will see from my medical chapter that the average number for A*s for medicine is 10. I note, however, that IGCSEs are more difficult (my son did German, and it was much harder), so I don't know if an A at IGCSE will be equivalent to an A* at GCSE.

Also, am I correct in assuming that you are an overseas student? If so, places at Oxford medical school for internationals are limited to only 14 per year, out of 150 medical school places (please also see my medical chapter above). This is also an important factor to take into consideration
Reply 7
Original post by S Aliya

There is a wealth of admissions stats about Oxford here:
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Unfortunately, as you can see, there was nobody shortlisted with <5A*s last year and no offer with <6A*s. Also you needed >60% A* percentage for an interview, so it seems your stats may fall below what they are looking for, I'm afraid
Reply 8
I would do the UCAT first so you are not doing it at the same time as the BMAT. Otherwise it will be difficult if you are juggling both tests and your schoolwork at the same time. I do not know about the online crash course, as my son did the Medic Portal course. He did not think it was necessary to pass the BMAT and it can be expensive. The course came with a free book, "mastering the BMAT" and he used this before the BMAT Ninja questions.

Yes, you will see from my medical chapter that the average number for A*s for medicine is 10. I note, however, that IGCSEs are more difficult (my son did German, and it was much harder), so I don't know if an A at IGCSE will be equivalent to an A* at GCSE.

Also, am I correct in assuming that you are an overseas student? If so, places at Oxford medical school for internationals are limited to only 14 per year, out of 150 medical school places (please also see my medical chapter above). This is also an important factor to take into consideration

I got your point about juggling tests and I completely agree, thank you! It's always better to do the UCAT first as I'll have my scores beforehand and if I'm too stressed/need to focus on alternatives like A levels or personal statement or work experience, I may even drop the BMAT.

Hmm I don't think universities differentiate between the IGCSEs and the GCSEs, in terms or difficulty at least. To most people, IGCSEs is just an international version of the same thing.

Yes, correct, I'm indeed an international student. I know, it's a very important consideration.I just saw the 2017 statistics from the post above and it really is daunting..but I don't want it to scare me away from applying...

Sorry, I'll look into your posts soon! (Are we allowed to quote/reply?)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by S Aliya
Yes, correct, I'm indeed an international student. I know, it's a very important consideration. However I don't know the statistics of how many internationals apply per year, how many get interviews, etc. It really is daunting..but I don't want it to scare me away from applying...

This information is all on their website:
366 international fee-status applicants made complete applications.
32 international fee-status applicants were shortlisted.
Reply 10
Original post by GANFYD
This information is all on their website:
366 international fee-status applicants made complete applications.
32 international fee-status applicants were shortlisted.

Yes sorry I made the post before viewing the link! I just did now and have edited my post. 5 of them received offers -- but the spaces for internationals were more than 5, just that they weren't qualified enough for offers I'm assuming?
Reply 11
Original post by S Aliya
Yes sorry I made the post before viewing the link! I just did now and have edited my post. 5 of them received offers -- but the spaces for internationals were more than 5, just that they weren't qualified enough for offers I'm assuming?

More likely to relate to interview performance. They would not have been short-listed if they did not have appropriate qualifications
Original post by S Aliya
I got your point about juggling tests and I completely agree, thank you! It's always better to do the UCAT first as I'll have my scores beforehand and if I'm too stressed/need to focus on alternatives like A levels or personal statement or work experience, I may even drop the BMAT.

Hmm I don't think universities differentiate between the IGCSEs and the GCSEs, in terms or difficulty at least. To most people, IGCSEs is just an international version of the same thing.

Yes, correct, I'm indeed an international student. I know, it's a very important consideration.I just saw the 2017 statistics from the post above and it really is daunting..but I don't want it to scare me away from applying...

Sorry, I'll look into your posts soon! (Are we allowed to quote/reply?)

Yes of course, you can reply to any posts that are made.

Latest

Trending

Trending