The Student Room Group

What are the benefits of A Level Maths?

Just a thread so I can come to for motivation for those ups and downs and know that I'm not going to fight a pointless battle.
Reply 1
Some parts of A level maths are actually quite interesting. The challenging aspect of problem solving also made it enjoyable for me. I think the most important benefit is that you will have many more doors open for yourself when you apply to Uni as many courses need A level maths. A lot of my friends wanted to apply for certain courses but weren't able to due to them not having A level maths. Despite the papers this year being quite tough, studying A level maths will never be something I regret. (This is coming from someone who is planning on doing a humanities degree where A level maths is not required)
you wont be getting the 2019 Edexcel papers?
Reply 3
Original post by sachinihimara
you wont be getting the 2019 Edexcel papers?

😂😂 fair point
Original post by Hiro2468
Just a thread so I can come to for motivation for those ups and downs and know that I'm not going to fight a pointless battle.

you start learning the basics behind calculus, otherwise known as the most powerful tool known to man.
Reply 5
Original post by Dsk10911
Some parts of A level maths are actually quite interesting. The challenging aspect of problem solving also made it enjoyable for me. I think the most important benefit is that you will have many more doors open for yourself when you apply to Uni as many courses need A level maths. A lot of my friends wanted to apply for certain courses but weren't able to due to them not having A level maths. Despite the papers this year being quite tough, studying A level maths will never be something I regret. (This is coming from someone who is planning on doing a humanities degree where A level maths is not required)

That sounds nice, I'm interested in mostly algebra which fortunately is most of the pure section. I've always wanted to know/understand how to do logarithms and differentiation so I guess I have an excuse to learn it now.
If you enjoy Maths I would definitely encourage you to take it as one of your options. If you know that your uni course doesn’t need it but does need certain subjects, I would advise you to prioritise the subjects you definitely need, but if you have options left over, maths is a great choice.

There is a lot of differentiation and integration (the reverse of differentiation) and you also use logarithms in the statistics section at points. The mechanics also has applied differentiation and integration so I think you’ll enjoy these sections too.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest