The Student Room Group

Uni halls, or hell?

Hi guys,

I'm writing something about first year halls - sort of like a survival guide. What problems did you have in halls? How did you solve them? I stayed in a flat with 10 people, and that was defo too much for me.

Scroll to see replies

Where to start...

Disgusting flatmates who never cleaned, constant noise and unwanted visitors that have no issue in keeping you up all night, people stealing your stuff, people ganging up on others and admiration for going out getting wasted every night because somehow getting drunk every night of the week and not going uni is peoples idea of uni life.

How did I escape, moved out and never spoke to those degenerates again.
Was also in a flat of 10.
Laying down ground rules helped- half the flat enjoyed going out and having pre's all the time, the others didn't. So we compromised by saying once a week they could have pre's (twice if there was a specific reason (i.e. birthdays or whatever)) and they would also let us know a day in advance.
Then cleaning was a nightmare, but again laying ground rules down and re-enforcing them at the beginning of the semester
Original post by Anonymous
Where to start...

Disgusting flatmates who never cleaned, constant noise and unwanted visitors that have no issue in keeping you up all night, people stealing your stuff, people ganging up on others and admiration for going out getting wasted every night because somehow getting drunk every night of the week and not going uni is peoples idea of uni life.

How did I escape, moved out and never spoke to those degenerates again.

That definitely sounds like hell... and a lot like my flat. Ear plugs don't cut it. Could I use your quote/name and uni for the piece? Cheers 👍
Original post by AzureCeleste
Was also in a flat of 10.
Laying down ground rules helped- half the flat enjoyed going out and having pre's all the time, the others didn't. So we compromised by saying once a week they could have pre's (twice if there was a specific reason (i.e. birthdays or whatever)) and they would also let us know a day in advance.
Then cleaning was a nightmare, but again laying ground rules down and re-enforcing them at the beginning of the semester

Definitely a solid solution. Also nice that it worked out, especially with so many people. Can I cite you in the piece? Name/uni as well? I'll be posting the link on here when's it up
Original post by Bentownsend00
Definitely a solid solution. Also nice that it worked out, especially with so many people. Can I cite you in the piece? Name/uni as well? I'll be posting the link on here when's it up

Yeah, I'm glad it worked out as I've heard so many horror stories and luckily we all still liked each other at the end of the year. We were all quite willing to compromise which was nice. Obviously it wasn't perfect (cleaning the kitchen became the main issue for us) but we all survived
Sure, yeah Edinburgh uni
That definitely sounds like hell... and a lot like my flat. Ear plugs don't cut it. Could I use your quote/name and uni for the piece? Cheers 👍

It's a public forum u can screenshot and use whatever you like. It's a strange thing to write a paper on and id assume youd get better marks for person to person interviews vs asking on a forum. And the way you've phrased the question might lead people to think you have a bias or are looking for certain answers. I wouldnt paint halls as 'hell', I guess you could write a decent paper about the struggles of moving into halls and thatd prob be better received. goodluck
We had one guy in halls who'd eat a truckload of food and leave multiple plates and trays of leftovers around the premises, mainly in the kitchen.

To combat this, we'd shove all of his stuff into his room since he always left it open as he'd keep forgetting about/losing his key. :smile:
Okay, to name a few things:

- People were stealing food, in at least two different halls of residence, on regular basis, but in one of them everyone was so wealthy (or at least not struggling financially) that it was kind of ironic and turned into a joke

- Noise.. If you live near the kitchen or toilet it can be really noisy in some halls

- People not adequately cleaning toilets and/or kitchen after themselves

- Inviting over drunk friends

- Slamming doors

- Internet speed manipulation - downloads are very, very common in the halls

- Not enough "private space" to actually talk about private matters if you really need to talk about them, everyone can hear your Skype/Whatsapp/Messenger video chats with your friends and family

- Pranks (some were actually amusing so it's not a top priority thing)

- Drills and fire alarms training sometimes even at 1 a.m., or because of a toaster, but nonetheless it is important to evacuate the building. Happened to me at 3 a.m. once.
It's a public forum u can screenshot and use whatever you like. It's a strange thing to write a paper on and id assume youd get better marks for person to person interviews vs asking on a forum. And the way you've phrased the question might lead people to think you have a bias or are looking for certain answers. I wouldnt paint halls as 'hell', I guess you could write a decent paper about the struggles of moving into halls and thatd prob be better received. goodluck

This isn't an academic paper, but an article!
Okay, to name a few things:

- People were stealing food, in at least two different halls of residence, on regular basis, but in one of them everyone was so wealthy (or at least not struggling financially) that it was kind of ironic and turned into a joke

- Noise.. If you live near the kitchen or toilet it can be really noisy in some halls

- People not adequately cleaning toilets and/or kitchen after themselves

- Inviting over drunk friends

- Slamming doors

- Internet speed manipulation - downloads are very, very common in the halls

- Not enough "private space" to actually talk about private matters if you really need to talk about them, everyone can hear your Skype/Whatsapp/Messenger video chats with your friends and family

- Pranks (some were actually amusing so it's not a top priority thing)

- Drills and fire alarms training sometimes even at 1 a.m., or because of a toaster, but nonetheless it is important to evaca the building. Happened to me at 3 a.m. once.

Some really interesting stuff there I hadn't considered before. Which uni was/is this?
Original post by SubZero~
We had one guy in halls who'd eat a truckload of food and leave multiple plates and trays of leftovers around the premises, mainly in the kitchen.

To combat this, we'd shove all of his stuff into his room since he always left it open as he'd keep forgetting about/losing his key. :smile:

that's a class solution. Wish we'd done that to the guy in our flat leaving wet noodles in the sink... which uni are you at?
Hi guys,

I'm writing something about first year halls - sort of like a survival guide. What problems did you have in halls? How did you solve them? I stayed in a flat with 10 people, and that was defo too much for me.

Some peoples hygiene is disturbing.

Had 1 person in my flat who would smoke weed indoors and then the rest of the block smelt like ****. Same bloke also had the worst 'rap battles' you've ever heard.

People would run up & down the corridors screaming at like 4am.

I was in catered halls and the food was very poor imo lots of rice & chips.

TBH these are most of the negatives, but in general I enjoyed halls had a great time, met some awesome people. I had a block of 12 and regularly hung out with 10 of them, and ended up living with half of them in second year. Overall id recommend it, yes there will be moments you hate it but overall its a good experience.
Hi guys,

The noise was a big issue for me. Especially late at night. Buying ear plugs was the best thing I bought that year!

Also, the mess. A few times I collected up my flatmate's mouldy dishes and either put them on the table in the living area or outside his bedroom door. Didn't really change much because he was a really dirty person, but it made it easier for me to use our tiny kitchen.
Anyone in here also struggled in halls as a minority? Or like they were thrown into a totally alien world?
that's a class solution. Wish we'd done that to the guy in our flat leaving wet noodles in the sink... which uni are you at?

Oh God a few people were guilty of leaving food in the sink. Honestly it was disgusting! Hoping for better hall mates this year for sure.

I'm at Loughborough University.
Original post by DrawTheLine
The noise was a big issue for me. Especially late at night. Buying ear plugs was the best thing I bought that year!

Also, the mess. A few times I collected up my flatmate's mouldy dishes and either put them on the table in the living area or outside his bedroom door. Didn't really change much because he was a really dirty person, but it made it easier for me to use our tiny kitchen.

Leaving dishes outside the door/inside the room seems to be a common tactic here... Maybe also just putting them on the kitchen floor till they're picked up... Which uni was this?
Leaving dishes outside the door/inside the room seems to be a common tactic here... Maybe also just putting them on the kitchen floor till they're picked up... Which uni was this?

Doesn't really matter, just a uni hall in the UK :tongue:

For some people it does work, it makes them realise their errors. In my 2nd year house, my flatmate left for an unknown amount of time and left her fresh food in the fridge. It was going to go mouldy so I put it in a bowl in her room so she can deal with the mould. She always threw her food away after that :^_^:
Original post by DrawTheLine
Doesn't really matter, just a uni hall in the UK :tongue:

For some people it does work, it makes them realise their errors. In my 2nd year house, my flatmate left for an unknown amount of time and left her fresh food in the fridge. It was going to go mouldy so I put it in a bowl in her room so she can deal with the mould. She always threw her food away after that :^_^:

It's just for reference if I wanna cite people in the piece. But I understand if people would like to remain anon.

that's brilliant. I remember opening the cupboard once and finding a loaf of bread entirely green. also a fishy smell from behind the fridge for about 6 months... How I feel for the cleaners in those places ..
It's just for reference if I wanna cite people in the piece. But I understand if people would like to remain anon.

that's brilliant. I remember opening the cupboard once and finding a loaf of bread entirely green. also a fishy smell from behind the fridge for about 6 months... How I feel for the cleaners in those places ..

I think as the identities of everyone on here are theoretically unknown you should always cite people as 'anonymous, 2019' but I would not cite TSR, this website has no validity, you would be better off doing normal academic surveys to justify the data collection

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending