The Student Room Group

Uni halls, or hell?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mnot
I think as the identities of everyone on here are theoretically unknown you should always cite people as 'anonymous, 2019' but I would not cite TSR, this website has no validity, you would be better off doing normal academic surveys to justify the data collection

Ah, no, this isn't for a paper, but an article. So for example, Student A from (uni) said this. Just for journalistic validity.
I stayed in halls for all three years of university. The major issues I had with flatmates (and additional people in the same block) were noise (loud music/movies, shouting, running in corridors and doors slamming at all hours), students smoking outside my room which was on the ground floor in first year; students also smoked in their rooms in third year so the smell came in through the bathroom vent, and dirty plates and other kitchen items being left lying on the table/sides/in the sinks for days/weeks without being cleaned. For the first two years I was too shy to say or do anything about the issues, but in the final year I stuck a note to the door of a particularly noisy flatmate who always had people staying over in her room, after that almost all of the noise from her stopped :tongue:

Thankfully I've now applied to an MSc which is almost entirely completed by remote learning, so I won't be staying with strangers in halls again!
Original post by Leviathan1741
I stayed in halls for all three years of university. The major issues I had with flatmates (and additional people in the same block) were noise (loud music/movies, shouting, running in corridors and doors slamming at all hours), students smoking outside my room which was on the ground floor in first year; students also smoked in their rooms in third year so the smell came in through the bathroom vent, and dirty plates and other kitchen items being left lying on the table/sides/in the sinks for days/weeks without being cleaned. For the first two years I was too shy to say or do anything about the issues, but in the final year I stuck a note to the door of a particularly noisy flatmate who always had people staying over in her room, after that almost all of the noise from her stopped :tongue:

Thankfully I've now applied to an MSc which is almost entirely completed by remote learning, so I won't be staying with strangers in halls again!

3 years! Very brave. It's nice to know that the non-confrontational methods work though... Can I ask what uni you're from? 👍
Original post by AzureCeleste
Yeah, I'm glad it worked out as I've heard so many horror stories and luckily we all still liked each other at the end of the year. We were all quite willing to compromise which was nice. Obviously it wasn't perfect (cleaning the kitchen became the main issue for us) but we all survived
Sure, yeah Edinburgh uni

I'm staying in ediinburgh uni accom this year, this has me slightly worried😆 can I ask which halls you stayed in?
Original post by mediclyfe
I'm staying in ediinburgh uni accom this year, this has me slightly worried😆 can I ask which halls you stayed in?

Normally it's more to do with flatmates not liking each other or being quite different. Sometimes there's a divide in the flat but there was nothing too bad when I was there (it's just more in general of horror stories I heard)
salisbury court
Original post by AzureCeleste
Normally it's more to do with flatmates not liking each other or being quite different. Sometimes there's a divide in the flat but there was nothing too bad when I was there (it's just more in general of horror stories I heard)
salisbury court

Ah that's interesting. Hopefully I can at least get some flatmates who are willing to compromise. I actually had Salisbury court as my top pick but I got brae house instead, which I don't mind so much now as it's a 6 person flat so maybe it won't be too busy/cluttered.
Original post by mediclyfe
Ah that's interesting. Hopefully I can at least get some flatmates who are willing to compromise. I actually had Salisbury court as my top pick but I got brae house instead, which I don't mind so much now as it's a 6 person flat so maybe it won't be too busy/cluttered.

6 people is a good size and I reckon you'd be able to compromise well :smile:
Original post by Bentownsend00
3 years! Very brave. It's nice to know that the non-confrontational methods work though... Can I ask what uni you're from? 👍

I went to Keele University :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending