The Student Room Group

Job references

So my ex employers refused to give me references and I’m panicking because I’m unemployed.
Can I show them my ex contract of employment instead of employment references?
Original post by Heize19
So my ex employers refused to give me references and I’m panicking because I’m unemployed.
Can I show them my ex contract of employment instead of employment references?

Is there anyone else who could give you a reference?
If they ask for a reference then they don't want proof of the contract
They tend to want to know what you are like as a person and wether you do your job and how you act versus if you actually worked there (as far as I'm aware)
Reply 3
Original post by brainzistheword
Is there anyone else who could give you a reference?

Some ex colleagues as well or character references.
Original post by Heize19
Some ex colleagues as well or character references.

Well if there's just one person refusing to give you a reference, couldn't you approach someone else at the company to see if they're willing instead?
Reply 5
They are two
Well if there's just one person refusing to give you a reference, couldn't you approach someone else at the company to see if they're willing instead?

They are actually two the most recent ones.
Reply 6
Can you get an academic reference from uni together with a character reference from your tutor? Have you considered volunteering whilst job searching? Some give references after 3 months.
Original post by SlS66
Can you get an academic reference from uni together with a character reference from your tutor? Have you considered volunteering whilst job searching? Some give references after 3 months.

@Heize19 This^^
Reply 8
@Heize19 This^^

I’ll give a try.
I have two from my previous teachers but is like a long letter. That would be okay?
Original post by Heize19
I’ll give a try.
I have two from my previous teachers but is like a long letter. That would be okay?

If you're kind of out of options, yes I think this would suffice. It's better than nothing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending