Law - Lancaster, Kent or Sheffield?

Opinions on these unis?

Edit: Or Southampton?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aaryra
Opinions on these unis?

Hello,
If you have any questions about Lancaster do let me know!
Hopefully I can help you to make your decision.
Best of luck,
Charlotte :smile:
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Original post by Aaryra
Opinions on these unis?

When it comes to reputation, it'd have to be Lancaster or Southampton. Sheffield is also a good university but perhaps not as reputable as the prior two.

Have you had a look at the courses, locations, accomodation and campuses?

Are you wanting to do straight Law or combining it with something else?
Is Kent a 'bad' choice? I prefer the location honestly, and it's near to where I live. Also, straight law.

Original post by Quick-use
When it comes to reputation, it'd have to be Lancaster or Southampton. Sheffield is also a good university but perhaps not as reputable as the prior two.

Have you had a look at the courses, locations, accomodation and campuses?

Are you wanting to do straight Law or combining it with something else?
Original post by Aaryra
Is Kent a 'bad' choice? I prefer the location honestly, and it's near to where I live. Also, straight law.

Not a bad choice by any means. Kent is a great university. The other three just edge over it slightly in terms of prestige but even then it's pretty miniscule. :rambo:

Go with whichever you like the most. They're all excellent universities and you'll definitely succeed wherever you go.
Original post by Aaryra

Kent has a good Law school, if the location suits you then it's a good choice
Not a bad choice by any means. Kent is a great university. The other three just edge over it slightly in terms of prestige but even then it's pretty miniscule. :rambo:

Go with whichever you like the most. They're all excellent universities and you'll definitely succeed wherever you go.

Original post by harrysbar
Kent has a good Law school, if the location suits you then it's a good choice

Are you sure? I really do just prefer Kent, I don't want to be at any 'disadvantage' though. I know it's not 'great' for other subjects, but the law department looks quite good to me!
Original post by Aaryra
Are you sure? I really do just prefer Kent, I don't want to be at any 'disadvantage' though. I know it's not 'great' for other subjects, but the law department looks quite good to me!

Kent Law school does have a good reputation yes, and it's important to go where you feel comfortable.

Going to Kent will not disadvantage you when it comes to applying to Law firms, but Law is the sort of career where many firms will still look at your A level grades so that is important to know.

Are you thinking of applying through Clearing or for 2020?

@StudentRep Annabel
(edited 4 years ago)
Kent Law school does have a good reputation yes, and it's important to go where you feel comfortable.

Going to Kent will not disadvantage you when it comes to applying to Law firms, but Law is the sort of career where many firms will still look at your A level grades so that is important to know.

@StudentRep Annabel

I was always hoping to become a barrister tbh, I had terrible circumstances during A-Levels (and I mean terrible). What A-Level requirements are there? Is it worth retaking or anything?

I have the offers, got them today. I was quite lucky, a few of the unis including Kent aren't actually in clearing, I selected Kent and had to do a couple extra steps because they didn't have law on it officially.

@StudentRep Annabel

Is it 'better' to do politics at QMUL + conversion course than law at kent? I'm quite worried, esp. cause of my A Levels.
Original post by Aaryra
I was always hoping to become a barrister tbh, I had terrible circumstances during A-Levels (and I mean terrible). What A-Level requirements are there? Is it worth retaking or anything?

I have the offers, got them today. I was quite lucky, a few of the unis including Kent aren't actually in clearing, I selected Kent and had to do a couple extra steps because they didn't have law on it officially.

Lots of the big firms for solicitor training have A level requirements of around AAB - BBB, I don't know much about barrister training but apparently it's even more competitive :rolleyes:

If you have extenuating circumstances as to why things went badly during exams, some firms will be sympathetic to that but others just have strict cut off points. Do you mind saying what grades you have? (don't worry if you don't want to)
Lots of the big firms for solicitor training have A level requirements of around AAB - BBB, I don't know much about barrister training but apparently it's even more competitive :rolleyes:

If you have extenuating circumstances as to why things went badly during exams, some firms will be sympathetic to that but others just have strict cut off points. Do you mind saying what grades you have? (don't worry if you don't want to)

My grades really aren’t great - A*BB. I’m worried about the competitiveness tbh, I’m fine with Kent law I think obviously there’ll always be ‘better’ universities but my grades would be a problem.
Original post by Aaryra
Is it 'better' to do politics at QMUL + conversion course than law at kent? I'm quite worried, esp. cause of my A Levels.

I don't think so. Kent is an excellent university! :rambo:
I don't think so. Kent is an excellent university! :rambo:

Thank you for your help! Now my worry is about my a level grades! I hope as @Harrybar said they’ll be somewhat sympathetic because of the circumstances, but realistically how lenient would they be? That’s rhetorical, I don’t expect an answer😂
Original post by Aaryra

QMUL is known to be crap for anything but law and med, so doing a C-rate course there won't make any difference.

I personally don't rate Kent law that much. It's pretty irrelevant, but it's around the same tier as the other two and ultimately your own character determines whether or not you succeed in law.
Original post by Aaryra
My grades really aren’t great - A*BB. I’m worried about the competitiveness tbh, I’m fine with Kent law I think obviously there’ll always be ‘better’ universities but my grades would be a problem.

They're not bad! I thought you were going to say worse than that, you should be proud of achieving A*BB if you had bad stuff going on at the time. You should hold your head up high, stop doubting yourself and get onto a Law degree at whichever uni appeals to you the most. Your grades will not prevent you getting a training contract, especially if you can get a good class of degree and extracurriculars. It may be harder to become a barrister, I can't really comment on that.
Original post by Notoriety
QMUL is known to be crap for anything but law and med, so doing a C-rate course there won't make any difference.

I personally don't rate Kent law that much. It's pretty irrelevant, but it's around the same tier as the other two and ultimately your own character determines whether or not you succeed in law.

Does that mean you think it’s sh*t or just you don’t care much about it? I’m honestly worried about the combo of my a level grades and Kent cause I want to become a barrister.

They're not bad! I thought you were going to say worse than that, you should be proud of achieving A*BB if you had bad stuff going on at the time. You should hold your head up high, stop doubting yourself and get onto a Law degree at whichever uni appeals to you the most. Your grades will not prevent you getting a training contract, especially if you can get a good class of degree and extracurriculars. It may be harder to become a barrister, I can't really comment on that.

Ah, thank you. They’re just not what I was expecting or needed. What kinds of extracurriculars do you mean?

does anyone know much about becoming a barrister?
Original post by Aaryra
Ah, thank you. They’re just not what I was expecting or needed. What kinds of extracurriculars do you mean?

does anyone know much about becoming a barrister?

Joining and playing an active role in law related events run by the Law society at each uni.....they will all have them

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/barrister

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/solicitor
Joining and playing an active role in law related events run by the Law society at each uni.....they will all have them

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/barrister

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/solicitor

Hi,I'm also a student who wants to do law at uni. I'm around 8-9 marks off an A in english lit but the mark breakdown suggests that there is something wrong with how I have been graded in all 3 of my papers based on how I felt I did. However, through giving all 3 of my papers off for a remark I'm worried that my grade might drop from a secure B to a C( I am 16/17 marks into a B)
Original post by jamesharris07
Hi,I'm also a student who wants to do law at uni. I'm around 8-9 marks off an A in english lit but the mark breakdown suggests that there is something wrong with how I have been graded in all 3 of my papers based on how I felt I did. However, through giving all 3 of my papers off for a remark I'm worried that my grade might drop from a secure B to a C( I am 16/17 marks into a B)

You would be very unlucky to go down as much as 16/17 marks. Did your school suggest that you got the remarks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending