The Student Room Group

Are most prestigious universities full of privately schooled kids?

For example top tier universities such as oxbridge, UCL, imperial, LSE etc not just your average Russel group universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I’m not sure who reported this because there’s literally nothing offensive here? I am not privately schooled nor do I go to any of those universities I was just curious :smile:
Because it promotes harmful stereotypes. In reality there are a mix of private school and state school pupils at many top tier and Oxbridge universities. Saying that these institutions are full of privately schooled people would put state school pupils off applying, also 64% of students at Oxford are state educated. The thread title is clearly inaccurate.
Reply 3
Original post by Oxford Mum
Because it promotes harmful stereotypes. In reality there are a mix of private school and state school pupils at many top tier and Oxbridge universities. Saying that these institutions are full of privately schooled people would put state school pupils off applying, also 64% of students at Oxford are state educated. The thread title is clearly inaccurate.

How is it inaccurate? It’s just a question
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
How is it inaccurate? It’s just a question

It’s an honest question, but it’s premise is inaccurate. Oxbridge and other unis generally regarded as top RGs (Durham, KCL, ICL, LSE, UCL, York, Warwick etc...) are infact not full of “private school kids”. However, compared to the number of kids in state schools, there is a disproportionate number of kids at these unis who come from private schools. This DOES NOT mean they are in the majority. I think these are often confused. Visit a uni, and if it’s not right for you don’t go there! There’s no shame in turning down an oxbridge place if it isn’t the correct place for you, but similarly you might like it!
(edited 4 years ago)
Anonymous, it is inaccurate and you know it. I have just quoted you the stats. Your opinions are dangerous and are disheartening for state school students.

Most of my time on TSR I have spent convincing people that Oxford is a welcoming environment, seeking to be as diverse as possible.
Reply 6
Original post by Oxford Mum
Anonymous, it is inaccurate and you know it. I have just quoted you the stats. Your opinions are dangerous and are disheartening for state school students.

Most of my time on TSR I have spent convincing people that Oxford is a welcoming environment, seeking to be as diverse as possible.

No. Again, it’s a question...not my opinion. I’m actually a state schooled student myself looking to apply to universities this year, all I did was ask a genuine question.
Reply 7
Original post by tbofig
It’s an honest question, but it’s premise is inaccurate. Oxbridge and other unis generally regarded as top RGs (Durham, KCL, ICL, LSE, UCL, York, Warwick etc...) are infact not full of “private school kids”. However, compared to the number of kids in state schools, there is a disproportionate number of kids at these unis who come from private schools. This DOES NOT mean they are in the majority. I think these are often confused. Visit a uni, and if it’s not right for you don’t go there! There’s no shame in turning down an oxbridge place if it isn’t the correct place for you, but similarly you might like it!

Okay, thank you for this. I would like to apply to these types of universities but I am intimidated by the workload..my school is quite laid back it’s not rigorous like a private school might be. I’m worried that even if I were to be accepted into any of these universities I won’t be able to keep up academically or fit in socially
Reply 8
Okay, thank you for this. I would like to apply to these types of universities but I am intimidated by the workload..my school is quite laid back it’s not rigorous like a private school might be. I’m worried that even if I were to be accepted into any of these universities I won’t be able to keep up academically or fit in socially

I should be able to help on this, pm me with any questions you may have! :smile:

Talk to OM. She’s trying to help state schoolers like us against stereotypes.
For example top tier universities such as oxbridge, UCL, imperial, LSE etc not just your average Russel group universities

Yep
No. Again, it’s a question...not my opinion. I’m actually a state schooled student myself looking to apply to universities this year, all I did was ask a genuine question.

If it's just a question why ask it from behind the cloak of anonymity?
Original post by ageshallnot
If it's just a question why ask it from behind the cloak of anonymity?

Because I don’t need people viewing my stats/ previous posts telling me I’m not good enough anyways. You know what TSR is like...
Yep

Are you a current student?
Even if they are (and they aren’t), wouldn’t you be licking your chops at coming in from your “bad” school and beating them all at their own game?
If you were a genuine state school student why on earth would you have to hide behind anon, and as for tsr I do know what it’s like and nobody would judge you for it.
Because I don’t need people viewing my stats/ previous posts telling me I’m not good enough anyways. You know what TSR is like...

As above, show some confidence.
I realise that this is a touchy topic, but if the OP is indeed a state school student with a genuine question, with how you’ve replied to their question you may have just put them off these unis for good. You can tackle this misconception without resorting to insults and being judgemental.
I realise that this is a touchy topic, but if the OP is indeed a state school student with a genuine question, with how you’ve replied to their question you may have just put them off these unis for good. You can tackle this misconception without resorting to insults and being judgemental.

Call me a suspicious old b'stard if you like but I've been around long enough to have seen a lot of people go Anon and then post threads on topics that they know will cause an argument. In this case the OP could have dug out the statistics on the number of state v private students but they didn't. The OP has now given their reasons for being Anon, which I think are weak (hence my exhortation to have some confidence) but at least aren't nefarious. What's your excuse?
@ageshallnot
I agree with you one hundred percent.

My suspicious antennae are waggling like mad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending