The Student Room Group

A level lit students help pls

Guys have serious question , is it impossible to do English lit with a grade 6 even tho I was predicted a 7.since year 7 I’ve enjoyed English however I have this CONSTANT FEAR I will be with people who got 789s and I will underperform . I’m so annoyed with myself I want English as my thirdoption Incas s I don’t wanna go with medicine in the future as I’ve also chose bio and chem . Any advice from anyone would help so much thank u!!!!!!
Hi, I did English Lit + Lang at A Level. Grades at GCSE seldom translate into ability at A Level because different qualifications are looking for different things. It's common for people to do very well at GCSE but flunk A Level because they aren't able to make the jump. Whether or not you succeed in A Level English Lit won't entirely depend on what you got at GCSE, but rather:

1) How you study.
2) Your analytical skills.
3) Your exam technique.
4) The amount of effort you put in.

Notice how all four of these things are in your control. And you're not competing with people in your class. This isn't like GCSE where you're in constant comparison with each other - in A Level, you do more work independently. The only person you're competing against is yourself to be better and better every day. And if you follow the four things above, you will. I would definitely recommend taking English Lit if you're passionate - it's not an impossible A Level by any means and you can get an A if you put in the effort.
Original post by laugh72
Guys have serious question , is it impossible to do English lit with a grade 6 even tho I was predicted a 7.since year 7 I’ve enjoyed English however I have this CONSTANT FEAR I will be with people who got 789s and I will underperform . I’m so annoyed with myself I want English as my thirdoption Incas s I don’t wanna go with medicine in the future as I’ve also chose bio and chem . Any advice from anyone would help so much thank u!!!!!!

I can tell you that there will be no issues if you put your head down- I got a B at GCSE and was only 4 marks off an A at A-level! You really have nothing to worry about :smile:
DM me if you have any questions :hugs:
Original post by barror1
I can tell you that there will be no issues if you put your head down- I got a B at GCSE and was only 4 marks off an A at A-level! You really have nothing to worry about :smile:
DM me if you have any questions :hugs:

Omg thank u so much this means a lot to me it’s boosted my confidence!!!! Have an amazing day
no a 6 is perfectly fine- exams aren't an accurate indicator of your ability and there'll be people who will improve upon their grade at gcse. if you like the subject and you're willing to work hard, go for it.
Original post by _polaroid
Hi, I did English Lit + Lang at A Level. Grades at GCSE seldom translate into ability at A Level because different qualifications are looking for different things. It's common for people to do very well at GCSE but flunk A Level because they aren't able to make the jump. Whether or not you succeed in A Level English Lit won't entirely depend on what you got at GCSE, but rather:

1) How you study.
2) Your analytical skills.
3) Your exam technique.
4) The amount of effort you put in.

Notice how all four of these things are in your control. And you're not competing with people in your class. This isn't like GCSE where you're in constant comparison with each other - in A Level, you do more work independently. The only person you're competing against is yourself to be better and better every day. And if you follow the four things above, you will. I would definitely recommend taking English Lit if you're passionate - it's not an impossible A Level by any means and you can get an A if you put in the effort.

Thank u so so much for the advice this has really helped me I wish u all the best for the future
Original post by entertainmyfaith
no a 6 is perfectly fine- exams aren't an accurate indicator of your ability and there'll be people who will improve upon their grade at gcse. if you like the subject and you're willing to work hard, go for it.

Thank u so much I appreciate it have a nice day
Original post by laugh72

thanks for the responses guys

Quick Reply

Latest