The Student Room Group

should I do a level psycology?

I love the content, but I hate the essay aspect of it. what should I do?

Scroll to see replies

psychology*
and I’m pretty sure the majority of the exams are essay based..check out past papers from exam boards and see if that’s something you’d feel ok doing
Would not recommend at all the essays are absolutely killer, super long and very prescriptive on what you can talk about.
Reply 3
Original post by ohdearstudying
Would not recommend at all the essays are absolutely killer, super long and very prescriptive on what you can talk about.

But the content is sooooo interesting!!!
Reply 4
Original post by ohdearstudying

I'm also doing maths and physics, my other subject I'm considering is Comp sci, but that's just so lifeless and dull- but I'll find it easier as it's mathsy
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Azimbrook1
I'm also doing maths and physics, my other subject I'm considering is Comp sci, but that's just so lifeless and dull- but I'll find it easier as it's mathsy

If you're science inclined you'll find Psychology a doddle! All you need is the ability to right sciencey essays, very different to a humanities one.
I love the content, but I hate the essay aspect of it. what should I do?

Heyyy I feel the same way!!!
Idk wat to do
U k my sis did AQA Psychology (I won’t be doing that) like 2 yrs ago and their exam has 3 16 MARKERS!!!
I took it at A Level having never studied it before, and ended up doing my degree in it. The essays are hard, but they're doable, and a lot of people exaggerate them.

But please, learn how to spell psychology before you take it. Nothing's more annoying than seeing your classmates still misspelling their course in the third year of their degree! Nip it in the bud.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I took it at A Level having never studied it before, and ended up doing my degree in it. The essays are hard, but they're doable, and a lot of people exaggerate them.

But please, learn how to spell psychology before you take it. Nothing's more annoying than seeing your classmates still misspelling their course in the third year of their degree! Nip it in the bud.

My sister was like that!!!
Reply 9
Original post by Sannah 21
Heyyy I feel the same way!!!
Idk wat to do
U k my sis did AQA Psychology (I won’t be doing that) like 2 yrs ago and their exam has 3 16 MARKERS!!!

it's great that someone relates to me, what other subjects are you doing, and do you think you'll end up doing it?
Reply 10
Depending on what exam board it is.. I loved a level psych and I hated essay writing ( I did 2 science subjects along with this so would rather spend ages trying to math than essays) but honestly aqa;s essays weren’t that bad... they didn’t need to be super well written as long as you can clearly explain your point with relevant researchers
For aqa there’s not a set number of essays you get per paper so one year in paper one you could have 3 16 markers and then another year you could have 1 16 marker , there aren’t only 16 markers there are 12 markers and 6 markers , personally I don’t struggle that much with essays as I enjoyed writing essays in gcse English lit and Lang

I’m going into year 12 and I’m starting to write my personal statement I keep juggling between applying for biochem or psychology I am better at psychology and I find it comes more naturally to me however I looked at the job aspects and I know loads of people do psychology at uni and that the job market isn’t very good I was wondering if you could just give me your opinion on this as you’re studying it I’m leaning more towards biochem because I think the job aspects are better and the pay is better please help

may i ask, where did you do your degree and how did you find it?
it's great that someone relates to me, what other subjects are you doing, and do you think you'll end up doing it?

Hey so I’m gonna do business and Spanish
Which both have a lot of writing in it as well 😌
And business has like 20 markers something like that....
But I really enjoy, love and am really interested in these subjects so why not take them? 😌
Maybe I’ll get used to the essay bits 😒😒😏
I wanna have a career related with business
But there r jobs combining business and psychology which I’m looking at but I don’t wanna take psychology further for uni...
My sis is doing that atm and it looks kinda boring 😄
But for a levels it’ll be fine x

U?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Farhana001
I’m going into year 12 and I’m starting to write my personal statement I keep juggling between applying for biochem or psychology I am better at psychology and I find it comes more naturally to me however I looked at the job aspects and I know loads of people do psychology at uni and that the job market isn’t very good I was wondering if you could just give me your opinion on this as you’re studying it I’m leaning more towards biochem because I think the job aspects are better and the pay is better please help

I can only give you my personal experience, which is that I studied it, graduated, and now don't work in psychology. But it does prepare you for many other kinds of jobs, and can offer you places on grad schemes in lots of different sectors.
Original post by Dhwanikap2
may i ask, where did you do your degree and how did you find it?

I went to Liverpool Hope and loved every minute of it. Lots of people say that I shouldn't have gone there as I had the grades to go somewhere much better, but with psychology the course has to be accredited by the BPS - and Hope's was at the time (don't know if it still is), so it gave me the same basis for graduate entry into the BPS as studying anywhere else would have done.
Honestly, the essays aren’t that bad. You learn to live with them. The subject is worth it
Original post by Sannah 21
Hey so I’m gonna do business and Spanish
Which both have a lot of writing in it as well 😌
And business has like 20 markers something like that....
But I really enjoy, love and am really interested in these subjects so why not take them? 😌
Maybe I’ll get used to the essay bits 😒😒😏
I wanna have a career related with business
But there r jobs combining business and psychology which I’m looking at but I don’t wanna take psychology further for uni...
My sis is doing that atm and it looks kinda boring 😄
But for a levels it’ll be fine x

U?

I'm doing Physics and maths and I LOVEEE those subjects.
Reply 18
As someone who also generally leans towards science subjects and took A-Level Psych for a while, I wouldn't recommend it if you're not too fond of essays. I agree that lots of the topics were really interesting, but if you have a scientific mindset, having to evaluate and write 'subjectively' about research and theories kinda kills it. It also doesn't help that psychology is a relatively new field, and the most reliable and direct methods of investigating the brain (i.e. neuroimaging) are still pretty basic, so lots of information that you'll be taught is glaringly open-ended and inconclusive (although, in itself, I can see how that's appealing).
Also, 16 markers in psychology are the worst kind of essay because you pretty much just use the same technique and structure all the time - its almost like a fill-in-the-blanks for the different topics (think GCSE Religious Studies 12 markers).

Bear in mind that, even if you don't take A-Level, you could still pursue an interest in psychology later at uni.
Original post by nzy
As someone who also generally leans towards science subjects and took A-Level Psych for a while, I wouldn't recommend it if you're not too fond of essays. I agree that lots of the topics were really interesting, but if you have a scientific mindset, having to evaluate and write 'subjectively' about research and theories kinda kills it. It also doesn't help that psychology is a relatively new field, and the most reliable and direct methods of investigating the brain (i.e. neuroimaging) are still pretty basic, so lots of information that you'll be taught is glaringly open-ended and inconclusive (although, in itself, I can see how that's appealing).
Also, 16 markers in psychology are the worst kind of essay because you pretty much just use the same technique and structure all the time - its almost like a fill-in-the-blanks for the different topics (think GCSE Religious Studies 12 markers).

Bear in mind that, even if you don't take A-Level, you could still pursue an interest in psychology later at uni.

so do you regret doing psychology. if so, what would you choose instead

Quick Reply

Latest