The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

There are advantages no matter which sex you are. Better to focus on yourself over others imo. At the end of the day most advantages are minimal in today’s society as everyone can do just about everything!
Original post by SteveyStack
There are advantages no matter which sex you are. Better to focus on yourself over others imo. At the end of the day most advantages are minimal in today’s society as everyone can do just about everything!

I don't know about that, I still think men are respected and taken more seriously.
Both gender have their advantages and disadvantages. Women also have their own type of respect, why do you think Serena Williams is seen as well respected tennis player? Or why Ruth Davidson is able to be the head of the Scottish Torres while being lesbian and married?
Original post by LadyMcCartney4
I don't know about that, I still think men are respected and taken more seriously.

By a small minority of people perhaps.

You also have to remember that most people respect experience and 30 years ago it was far more common for a man to be at Uni/up an organisation than a woman.

What I’m saying is that while a small minority will no doubt disadvantage you for being a woman the vast majority of people in this day and age don’t care. The world is a tough place and you have to earn respect no matter who you are. It’s only through hard work this can be achieved.
By a small minority of people perhaps.

You also have to remember that most people respect experience and 30 years ago it was far more common for a man to be at Uni/up an organisation than a woman.

What I’m saying is that while a small minority will no doubt disadvantage you for being a woman the vast majority of people in this day and age don’t care. The world is a tough place and you have to earn respect no matter who you are. It’s only through hard work this can be achieved.

trouble is that small minority of people tend to be the ones at the top, the ones who decide how our lives should be run, who gets IVF and whether abortion should be legal.
trouble is that small minority of people tend to be the ones at the top, the ones who decide how our lives should be run, who gets IVF and whether abortion should be legal.

Not true and even if it was companies are frightened of being called sexist nowadays. There are countless women only initiatives ect so you have plenty of opportunity.

I will reiterate that the world will give you nothing, man or woman, so it’s up to you to grab the opportunity while you can.
Not true and even if it was companies are frightened of being called sexist nowadays. There are countless women only initiatives ect so you have plenty of opportunity.

I will reiterate that the world will give you nothing, man or woman, so it’s up to you to grab the opportunity while you can.

i didn't want to get into an argument or anything, but you need to research your facts before you shout out 'not true'. who are the politicians who come up with 'heartbeat' anti abortion laws? a bunch of rich white men. who is rationing IVF in the NHS and saying that single women aren't worthy of treatment for fertility? Men. Recently a whole NHS foundation trust has cut IVF for single women because they are seen as a burden to society. I doubt a woman was behind that decision.
(edited 4 years ago)
I envy the physique men have, the fact that they're stronger and generally have more status than women.
I don't know if this is weird or am I suffering from a modern version of penis envy lol? I don't think I feel like a man but sometimes I want to be one to avoid all the health issues of being a woman, menstruation, not being taken seriously by health professionals, etc.
I don't feel especially female either.

I envy men too! Their physical strength mainly, and the fact that they 'are' taken more seriously , higher pay...plus no periods of course, or childbirth.
I'd much prefer to have been born a male, given a choice.
Walking /travelling alone is also much easier for men...Although older women say they become far less hassled..An 80 year old who travels alone says it is much easier now than it was when she was in her palmy youth.
i didn't want to get into an argument or anything, but you need to research your facts before you shout out 'not true'. who are the politicians who come up with 'heartbeat' anti abortion laws? a bunch of rich white men. who is rationing IVF in the NHS and saying that single women aren't worthy of treatment for fertility? Men. Recently a whole NHS foundation trust has cut IVF for single women because they are seen as a burden to society. I doubt a woman was behind that decision.

It’s a very small minority of men who hold that power though.

The rest of men also have their own problems and laws also don’t always work in their favour

Men are also more commonly judges and yet guys get higher sentences than women as well as being more likely to be convicted. In a perfect world IVF would be available unlimited times but there isn’t the funds available to do everything we want.

As I’ve said there are advantages to being a man, there are also advantages to being a women. You are better off worrying about yourself and trying to fly as high as you can than worry that someone has it easier than you.

If you look hard enough there will always be someone with more privilege than you. Try change things advantageously for yourself and don’t worry about others.

This is just my belief but I personally believe that white working class men have it as hard as anyone. They get none of the benefits of these schemes as their racial profile has them as the majority but they’ve been thrown into the gutter by society (I’m middle class not working class myself).
Original post by Aldersgate
I envy men too! Their physical strength mainly, and the fact that they 'are' taken more seriously , higher pay...plus no periods of course, or childbirth.
Walking /travelling alone is also much easier for men...Although older women say they become far less hassled..An 80 year old who travels alone says it is much easier now than it was when she was in her palmy youth.

Agreed.
Be proud of who you are. There are positives and negatives to both.

The gender pay gap is a myth. We don’t get higher pay (that’s illegal) but on average men do work more.

Even if you fail to admit that you the retirement age for men is higher so that’s an obvious injustice.
True we don't have to deal with periods.
I envy the physique men have, the fact that they're stronger and generally have more status than women.
I don't know if this is weird or am I suffering from a modern version of penis envy lol? I don't think I feel like a man but sometimes I want to be one to avoid all the health issues of being a woman, menstruation, not being taken seriously by health professionals, etc.
I don't feel especially female either.

This is not a dig or anything but my friend who is a girl can bench more weight than me.. I’m a 6”2 dude. I think strength depends on the person but I understand your point
Envy is such a pointless waste of energy, both genders have it tough in different ways. I have also never been not taken seriously by a doctor on the basis of being a woman..... As someone who is not fertile yeh the IVF thing is quite sucky but at the end of the day the NHS is struggling and needs to prioritise life saving care. IVF is somewhat of a luxury as is being fertile, just the deck of cards we have been given, it's not men's fault.
Original post by SuperHuman98
It’s a very small minority of men who hold that power though.

The rest of men also have their own problems and laws also don’t always work in their favour

You should watch that series I am...on channel 4. If anything it tells you that its not just the men at the top, but that attitudes about men and women are ingrained in each and every one of us.

Yeah I envy men too to be honest
Lack of childbirth, even if there's epidural bodily changes, breastfeeding
Periods
Travelling alone and not having to worry as much. Obviously for both sexes it is not 100% safe but just not having to worry about that
More respect from patriarchal societies/cultures/countries so I would not have to worry about that
Fact that my career will be most likely be guaranteed even if I choose to have children
More reversible operation for sterilisation

Latest

Trending

Trending