The Student Room Group

When do you start paying MA tuition fees?

According to the uni website of the uni I'm going to study at, you have to pay a deposit as soon as you've enrolled and then after that you pay a certain percentage each semester before deadlines given throughout the course. I can't possibly pay a deposit after enrolment as I've applied for a postgraduate loan from student finance which I will use to pay for tuition fees but that won't start coming through until after I've started my course. I've asked the uni's finance department about this and they've told me they don't know what the fee policy is for post graduate student's for the 2019/20 academic year and told me to contact them after a week when they may know more. What do I do now? I've started enrolment, should I finish it or wait a week and see what the uni says when I contact them again? Whatever the fee policy is, I can't start paying it until my postgraduate loan starts to come through. [Sorry this is the first time I have to pay the uni directly as student finance don't automatically pay tuition fees for postgraduate courses]
Which university is it?
Reply 2
Original post by bones-mccoy
Which university is it?

BCU
Original post by Anonymous
BCU

I'm surprised that their own finance department don't know how postgraduate tuition fees are to be paid for the upcoming year, especially how it's almost the end of August now. Most universities ask for 3 payments if you get the postgrad loan, one each semester and they tie in with when students get paid.
Reply 4
Original post by bones-mccoy
I'm surprised that their own finance department don't know how postgraduate tuition fees are to be paid for the upcoming year, especially how it's almost the end of August now. Most universities ask for 3 payments if you get the postgrad loan, one each semester and they tie in with when students get paid.

I know I was surprised too, they should know by now. I hope payment fits in with when the postgraduate loan is paid otherwise I won't be able to pay the tuition fees.
Reply 5
According to the uni website of the uni I'm going to study at, you have to pay a deposit as soon as you've enrolled and then after that you pay a certain percentage each semester before deadlines given throughout the course. I can't possibly pay a deposit after enrolment as I've applied for a postgraduate loan from student finance which I will use to pay for tuition fees but that won't start coming through until after I've started my course. I've asked the uni's finance department about this and they've told me they don't know what the fee policy is for post graduate student's for the 2019/20 academic year and told me to contact them after a week when they may know more. What do I do now? I've started enrolment, should I finish it or wait a week and see what the uni says when I contact them again? Whatever the fee policy is, I can't start paying it until my postgraduate loan starts to come through. [Sorry this is the first time I have to pay the uni directly as student finance don't automatically pay tuition fees for postgraduate courses]

I have a similar question, it looks like my uni will require a third of the fees on enrolment, another third 90 days after and another third 90 days after that. I don’t know when the payment dates from student finance are yet but it seems like the uni will want payment before I’ve got the student finance payment. I wonder if the university would set up a payment plan once the student finance dates are confirmed- it seems really weird that the dates don’t match up :s What did you end up doing? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lilnna3
I have a similar question, it looks like my uni will require a third of the fees on enrolment, another third 90 days after and another third 90 days after that. I don’t know when the payment dates from student finance are yet but it seems like the uni will want payment before I’ve got the student finance payment. I wonder if the university would set up a payment plan once the student finance dates are confirmed- it seems really weird that the dates don’t match up :s What did you end up doing? :smile:

I didn't really know what to do, I asked the uni finance department and because they kept telling me nothing and they never set up any payment plan with no invoice, I just ended up doing my own thing. I looked at how much my postgraduate loan was, how much my tuition fees were from the website and how much id get paid each term of the loan. I just split the tuition fee in 3 as I'd be getting the loan paid once each term. The first term I made my first tuition fee payment once the loan came through and did the same for the second payment in the second term so I've paid the majority of the tuition fees now. Once I get my final loan payment for term 3, I'll pay the remainder. They haven't said anything to me so I guess Ive done the right thing because they would have contacted me otherwise. Each time I've made a payment, I've made sure the uni received it by asking for an invoice/receipt and they've given me a transaction record each time but only cos I asked for it. If I hadn't have asked for it, they'd never have given it to me. I was expecting them to give me an invoice and each time I made a payment I thought they'd automatically say they've received the payment and what was left to pay but they never. It is really stupid, I know it's our responsibility to find out what the fees are and pay them ourselves for postgraduate study but they should just give us an invoice with how much to pay and by when but my uni doesn't.

If you're getting a loan from student finance then you won't be expected to pay before you get the first payment. You'll pay according to when student finance pays you. Only people who aren't using student finance have to pay before because they already have the money to pay.
Reply 7
I didn't really know what to do, I asked the uni finance department and because they kept telling me nothing and they never set up any payment plan with no invoice, I just ended up doing my own thing. I looked at how much my postgraduate loan was, how much my tuition fees were from the website and how much id get paid each term of the loan. I just split the tuition fee in 3 as I'd be getting the loan paid once each term. The first term I made my first tuition fee payment once the loan came through and did the same for the second payment in the second term so I've paid the majority of the tuition fees now. Once I get my final loan payment for term 3, I'll pay the remainder. They haven't said anything to me so I guess Ive done the right thing because they would have contacted me otherwise. Each time I've made a payment, I've made sure the uni received it by asking for an invoice/receipt and they've given me a transaction record each time but only cos I asked for it. If I hadn't have asked for it, they'd never have given it to me. I was expecting them to give me an invoice and each time I made a payment I thought they'd automatically say they've received the payment and what was left to pay but they never. It is really stupid, I know it's our responsibility to find out what the fees are and pay them ourselves for postgraduate study but they should just give us an invoice with how much to pay and by when but my uni doesn't.

If you're getting a loan from student finance then you won't be expected to pay before you get the first payment. You'll pay according to when student finance pays you. Only people who aren't using student finance have to pay before because they already have the money to pay.

Oh cool thank you, glad it worked out for you! It’s very weird they didn’t seem to know anything looks like you knew more than them! Thanks I will ask my uni fees department and see what they say but yeah unis can’t really expect payment before student finance cause that’s what it’s for isn’t it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending