The Student Room Group

Who's thinking about applying to Biology for 2020?

I am but people don't seem to think I should. They seem to think it's too easy and a simple science. And that there aren't any jobs in the area. I don't understand why though.

My favourite topics are definitely genetics and ecology so I can't wait to study them in more detail!

I managed to get a bronze (one mark of silver!) in the recent intermediate biology olympiad and have been reading the biological sciences magazine and will soon be reading some other books.

I'm considering applying to Oxford, Durham and At Andrews and maybe Edinburgh or Lancaster.

Who else is applying to Biology for 2020 entry?
Hi @Treetop321,
My name's Charlotte and I'm a second year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine student at Lancaster :smile:
I've done lots of genetics (but I've not chosen any ecology modules). I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about studying biology & Lancaster in general! In my personal opinion, Biology is one of the hardest sciences as it requires the same mathematical skills as Chemistry, more advanced practical skills than Physics, it has A LOT of content and there's also the essay writing and ethical side you would find in Psychology. It takes a lot of different skills to complete a degree like that. In terms of careers, there's a lot open to you due to the skill set. There's graduate jobs working in research companies, developing drugs or studying processes as well being able to do a wide range of masters e.g. nutrition which could then lead to becoming a dietician in the NHS for example. There is obviously straight research. If you study some courses in Lancaster Environment Centre (such as ecology - this is available through the 'Biology' degree) then you're open to working for governments or organisations that study and conserve ecology. In 2nd year we had an employability module that focused on the skills we'd need (video interview, CV, skills assessment centre, LinkedIn profile etc). We have 2 open days in September if you're interested in having a look around!
Best of luck with your application this autumn,
Again, let me know if you have any questions,
Charlotte :smile:
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @Treetop321,
My name's Charlotte and I'm a second year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine student at Lancaster :smile:
I've done lots of genetics (but I've not chosen any ecology modules). I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about studying biology & Lancaster in general! In my personal opinion, Biology is one of the hardest sciences as it requires the same mathematical skills as Chemistry, more advanced practical skills than Physics, it has A LOT of content and there's also the essay writing and ethical side you would find in Psychology. It takes a lot of different skills to complete a degree like that. In terms of careers, there's a lot open to you due to the skill set. There's graduate jobs working in research companies, developing drugs or studying processes as well being able to do a wide range of masters e.g. nutrition which could then lead to becoming a dietician in the NHS for example. There is obviously straight research. If you study some courses in Lancaster Environment Centre (such as ecology - this is available through the 'Biology' degree) then you're open to working for governments or organisations that study and conserve ecology. In 2nd year we had an employability module that focused on the skills we'd need (video interview, CV, skills assessment centre, LinkedIn profile etc). We have 2 open days in September if you're interested in having a look around!
Best of luck with your application this autumn,
Again, let me know if you have any questions,

Thanks for your help 😀

What sort of things would you recommend reading in advance which could be mentioned on a personal statement? There's a lot I could read but I don't know what would be useful!
Original post by Treetop321
Thanks for your help 😀

What sort of things would you recommend reading in advance which could be mentioned on a personal statement? There's a lot I could read but I don't know what would be useful!

I think to be fair the unis mostly care about your grades so I'd put a lot of effort into getting predicted grades that are the entry requirements/above.
I think any books that have recently come out and are related that are useful. Pretty much look round the popular science section of a book shop and find something interesting! There's lots on genetics and microbiome which would be useful! There's also a book called 'Bad Science' by Ben Goldacre that you give you a lot to talk about!
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
I am but people don't seem to think I should. They seem to think it's too easy and a simple science. And that there aren't any jobs in the area. I don't understand why though.

My favourite topics are definitely genetics and ecology so I can't wait to study them in more detail!

I managed to get a bronze (one mark of silver!) in the recent intermediate biology olympiad and have been reading the biological sciences magazine and will soon be reading some other books.

I'm considering applying to Oxford, Durham and At Andrews and maybe Edinburgh or Lancaster.

I'm hopefully applying for Biology to:

St Andrews
Durham
Bath
York
Edinburgh

It would be nice to work in Biology but I'm more in it for the skills and general interest is just a bonus!

Genetics and Ethology are the things i like the most but they're really hard areas of work to get into so I'll probably end up doing something else.

If you want to read about Genetics I can recommend Nessa Carey's "The Epigenetic Revolution" and "Junk DNA" and for Ecology "Deep" by Alex Rogers is awesome
Original post by Cpoentleirn

St Andrews
Durham
Bath
York
Edinburgh

It would be nice to work in Biology but I'm more in it for the skills and general interest is just a bonus!

Genetics and Ethology are the things i like the most but they're really hard areas of work to get into so I'll probably end up doing something else.

If you want to read about Genetics I can recommend Nessa Carey's "The Epigenetic Revolution" and "Junk DNA" and for Ecology "Deep" by Alex Rogers is awesome

I've managed to read the Epigenetic Revolution and found it very interesting.

On UCAS, I put down Oxford, Durham, At Andrews, York and Bath (but can still change them) so very similar ones to you 😀

Can I ask what attracted you to Edinburgh? It's one that I would still consider but I'm just don't sure about its reputation for Biology.
I live here mate XD, Edinburgh’s my hometown

Original post by Cpoentleirn

St Andrews
Durham
Bath
York
Edinburgh

I had the tough decisions of St Andrews vs Durham for Biology, and so glad i went with St Andrews in the end which is the best uni in the country for Marine Biology and really good for things like ecology compared with Durham.

I was also most interested in epigenesis which is covered in great detail in years 3 and 4, and also touched on in the first year
(Go join the official 2020 applicant thread! I've been waiting to find more people 😂! Biological, Biochemical, Biomedical and Life Science applicants 2020 )

I get that a lot - most people tell me I should apply to something more specific like biomed or biochem and it's so frustrating
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by keep_drowning
(Go join the official 2020 applicant thread! I've been waiting to find more people 😂!)

I get that a lot - most people tell me I should apply to something more specific like biomed or biochem and it's so frustrating

People seem a lot more open to chemistry and physics for some reason. It is a bit annoying being told to do biochem so often
People seem a lot more open to chemistry and physics for some reason. It is a bit annoying being told to do biochem so often

Because they're supposedly "Proper" sciences :colonhash:

I'd get it if people who were going to do biomed were told to do biochem - but Biology is so different
Original post by keep_drowning
Because they're supposedly "Proper" sciences :colonhash:

I'd get it if people who were going to do biomed were told to do biochem - but Biology is so different

Biology is definitely the best imo. So much more interesting and varied well.

I really like ecology but obviously wouldn't be able to this in the more specific degrees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending