The Student Room Group

Queen Mary vs Lancaster

Hey guys, I'm not really sure whether this is the right forum to post this on, if it isn't please let me know, and where to place this so I can remove it.

That being said, I'm quite stuck between going to Queen Mary and Lancaster University. I've had a mixture of responses, some saying that Lancaster is an amazing university, but then others saying that due to it not being a Russell Group I am put at a disadvantage. Does it matter that much?

I'm slightly worried about living away from home, this is not too relevant but if anyone can give some advice/their opinion that would be great.

Originally, I would have been glad to move away but at the wake of a recent visit to the hospital, I found that my health isn't exactly the best and in order to improve it, I would need to be eating regular healthy meals, staying active and just overall take better care of myself. I am someone who has usually had the aid of my mother to do such things for me, it's not to say I'm overtly lazy, but I have always had assistance. I'm not too knowledgeable about cooking but of course I am willing to learn, I was just wondering, would health problems - such as mine (not too severe at the moment but can be if I am unable to take care of myself) be a massive factor for choosing which uni to go to? (Queen Mary is pretty much down the road whereas Lancaster is 3 hours away by train).

If anyone could also shed light on why one uni might be better than the other in terms of academics or employability in their opinion that would be great too. Or any other pros/cons of one over the other.

Ignoring the obvious for me, such as Queen Mary would have a lower accomodation cost since I can live at home, I'd be near my family so I wouldn't have to completely worry about looking after myself and etc. I was so deadset on going to Lancaster but after my parents both expressed Queen Mary would be better for me so they could look after me and because they'd miss me, I started getting doubts. I really hate that because I was so into Lancaster, now I just don't know anymore.

If you read all of that, thank you very much.
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:

Why do I this?

Original post by Anonymous
others saying that due to it not being a Russell Group I am put at a disadvantage.

First of all, make a note of who is telling you that and then disregard their advice.

Sorry no one noticed your post yesterday, or at least, didn't respond to it.

Re your specific case, very hard for anyone outside to know. However, Lancaster has a very good reputation for pastoral type stuff. You will know all the pluses having already been there and looked around. Not sure what you were planning on studying, but many of the facilities are new or good as new. The college system, although maybe meaning more to some than others, does appear to help with mixing both socially and looking out for each other. It isn't a pricey area, although as you said, would cost more than living at home obviously.

Part of university life is gaining independence, new experiences, skills etc which would be harder to achieve while still at home.

I've no idea about Queen Mary other than what is freely available online. However, I know Lancaster is a very good undergraduate option for those wanting campus style Uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Dexter321
First of all, make a note of who is telling you that and then disregard their advice.

Sorry no one noticed your post yesterday, or at least, didn't respond to it.

Re your specific case, very hard for anyone outside to know. However, Lancaster has a very good reputation for pastoral type stuff. You will know all the pluses having already been there and looked around. Not sure what you were planning on studying, but many of the facilities are new or good as new. The college system, although maybe meaning more to some than others, does appear to help with mixing both socially and looking out for each other. It isn't a pricey area, although as you said, would cost more than living at home obviously. Submit reply

Part of university life is gaining independence, new experiences, skills etc which would be harder to achieve while still at home.

I've no idea about Queen Mary other than what is freely available online. However, I know Lancaster is a very good undergraduate option for those wanting campus style Uni.

Thank you very much for your input, it's really reassuring hearing from others and knowing their thoughts on just going away in general.
No problem. Replying to bump your post back up incase anyone else wants to comment further, and help re Queen Mary. Which year are you going to Uni?
Reply 5
Hello, guys my name is Adam I’m doing ESOL at the Manchester college but as I see it’s not more enough to me so please any one can help me to improve my English writing spelling.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending