The Student Room Group

Failed A-levels, gap year or uni?

Not sure if this is the right forum to post but I got CCD in Maths, Economics and Physics + I just got a place at Portsmouth for Mechanical engineering through clearing. Wasn’t familiar with the uni till now but it seems a good choice.
Before getting the place I was certain I was gonna take a gap year to improve my maths and physics grade because I know what went wrong during that time etc.

I retook year 12 so If I do this I’ll be starting university at 20 (which I’m not too bothered about) with hopefully better A-level grades/having worked/more work and volunteering experience in relation to my course/have money saved up (as I legitimately have 31p in my bank account and my parents won’t tell me but they’re pretty much broke)/have the time to finally focus on my mental health which is atrocious on a level I would be too embarrassed explaining how even on an anonymous public forum.

My parents hate the idea of me going on a gap year and think I’m being ungrateful for the space I’ve received at Portsmouth and I can’t communicate the mental health side of things to them + I’m not sure how to convince them otherwise.

I understand in the grand scheme of things it’s not that deep and personally I feel more ready than ever to take this year out but outsourcing support from family/teachers/even my therapist is confusing me so much and I’m desperate and fed up of pretty much overthinking something I’ve already decided on in my head.

What would be the logical thing to do?
how can I move this to the application, clearing and ucas forum?
Reply 2
You could do a foundation year somewhere and move onto a different uni?
I'm in a similar position to you only I received grades ABD but wanted to go to a different University and law firms require ABB minimum. I'm not sure whether to retake, go to University or to retake AND go to University at the same time.

I think if you're happy with the University then you should go ahead and take the offer because clearly it's a good one and you can still go far with it however if you don't mind retaking at all then go with your instincts and do it just make sure you're prepared.
Original post by ReadDed
You could do a foundation year somewhere and move onto a different uni?

my main goal is to improve my a-level grades tbh + i'm just not ready to start uni in a few days/a week at all and I feel a foundation year is a waste of money if I've already been offered a place at Portsmouth. Are you saying that I should just leave a-levels behind and pursue uni straight away, is that better?
Original post by moonlight98
my main goal is to improve my a-level grades tbh + i'm just not ready to start uni in a few days/a week at all and I feel a foundation year is a waste of money if I've already been offered a place at Portsmouth. Are you saying that I should just leave a-levels behind and pursue uni straight away, is that better?

if you think you can significantly improve your A level grades (like AAB-ABB) then maybe it will be worth taking a gap year. But if not maybe just go and start the course and see how you get on?
Original post by cheerIeader
I'm in a similar position to you only I received grades ABD but wanted to go to a different University and law firms require ABB minimum. I'm not sure whether to retake, go to University or to retake AND go to University at the same time.

I think if you're happy with the University then you should go ahead and take the offer because clearly it's a good one and you can still go far with it however if you don't mind retaking at all then go with your instincts and do it just make sure you're prepared.

yeah I saw your thread, law is a lot different to my course but if A-levels are that important beyond uni for you then you should do some research into how much it'll affect you + going to uni and retaking seems like it could get messy. I'm still settled on a gap year to retake and other stuff its just my parents really, good luck
Reply 7
uni
Original post by h4n4
uni

why?
Reply 9
Original post by moonlight98
yeah I saw your thread, law is a lot different to my course but if A-levels are that important beyond uni for you then you should do some research into how much it'll affect you + going to uni and retaking seems like it could get messy. I'm still settled on a gap year to retake and other stuff its just my parents really, good luck

Personally I would say retake your Alevels,Nothing wrong with Portsmouth that I know of but I think it will make life easier in the long run,If you don't get the grades next year then you could probably still get in somewhere without issue and then work hard + get experience in a "lesser uni".
Actually if I wanted to become an engineer I'd look at degree apprenticeships,They usually require CCC+ in alevels
Im in the same position right now and wanted to know what you did in the end if you dont mind sharing.
Original post by eeeeeeeeee18
Im in the same position right now and wanted to know what you did in the end if you dont mind sharing.

the exact same position?

the exact same subjects?
Reply 12
I’m in a similar situation. I got BCD and want to take a year out and retake but my parents want be to go Salford this year.
I’d say take a year out, you’d rather a year ‘wasted’ than three or four being at uni not in the right state of mind, with grades you’re not happy with.
Don't settle for less.
Reply 13
Just

Original post by Kischin
I’m in a similar situation. I got BCD and want to take a year out and retake but my parents want be to go Salford this year.
I’d say take a year out, you’d rather a year ‘wasted’ than three or four being at uni not in the right state of mind, with grades you’re not happy with.
Don't settle for less.

Just realised this was 10 months ago lol. For anyone else looking thats my advice
Original post by bored_user:)
the exact same position?

the exact same subjects?

No not quite, I didnt get into Sheffield university for civil engineering with a foundation year so now im having to choose wether to retake or go to Bristol UWE for civil engineering with a foundation year that im not 100% sold on
No not quite, I didnt get into Sheffield university for civil engineering with a foundation year so now im having to choose wether to retake or go to Bristol UWE for civil engineering with a foundation year that im not 100% sold on

hmmm you should check my thread out then...

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6639922&p=90421006#post90421006

check this out

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6639922&p=90421006#post90421006
Okay well since this thread has been revived here’s an update:

I went on the gap year, worked/volunteered etc but then corona happened and the internship I had lined up fell through as did the exams I was supposed to take to prove my potential.
I was sitting at a private centre this year so awarding me calculated grades was tricky but alas I’ve been offered a place on the mechanical engineering course at Sheffield with a foundation year, not ideal as that’s an extra year for me academically but I’ll be moving out, mental health has improved and I am okay

Advice for anyone in this sitch:
Take the gap year to improve the grades
Or take on a foundation year
Or do a year at a “lower ranked” uni then transfer (e.g I could’ve done a year at Huddersfield then transferred to Leeds)

Finally, it’s never that deep because people are dying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending