The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

University Life and Accommodation

Hey all....
Anyone here moving to Lancaster Uni for MSc Finance 2019-20? Also, I haven't decided where to live on campus or city centre? which is best and cost effective? Literally new to the place. Also, any idea on part time work and stuff? Love to meet new friends :smile: .
Reply 1
YMMV - and I can't speak from experience, being a commuting student - but off-campus living seems to be the most cost-effective once everything's added up, depending on what you value. If you're in or around the city centre, the campus is fairly easy to get to by bus or bicycle.

Re part-time jobs, the university advertises temp vacancies here: https://temps.lancaster-university.co.uk/vacancies/vacancy-search-results.aspx - they're a mix of durations and hours.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by jsp_1983
YMMV - and I can't speak from experience, being a commuting student - but off-campus living seems to be the most cost-effective once everything's added up, depending on what you value. If you're in or around the city centre, the campus is fairly easy to get to by bus or bicycle.

Re part-time jobs, the university advertises temp vacancies here: https://temps.lancaster-university.co.uk/vacancies/vacancy-search-results.aspx - they're a mix of durations and hours.

Thanks brother. probably will find a room around city centre
Original post by ghbro
Hey all....
Anyone here moving to Lancaster Uni for MSc Finance 2019-20? Also, I haven't decided where to live on campus or city centre? which is best and cost effective? Literally new to the place. Also, any idea on part time work and stuff? Love to meet new friends :smile: .

Hello,
I'm currently a student at Lancaster and hopefully I can help.
Living in the city can be cheaper but bus passes and longer letting contracts means usually it's not (although for a postgrad you might get a longer contract on campus). On campus you'll be close to everything you need to (the grad accommodation is very near management school), although you may want to do your shopping off campus as it'll be cheaper. However it can be a bit of a bubble and obviously mostly first year students live there. If you live off campus then you'll have easier access to the train station, all the shops in town and all the pubs/bars/restaurants as well. The commute is about 15 minutes from the city to campus (depending on the time of day).
In terms of part time work, there's opportunities on the careers website that someone's already posted, and jobs such as ambassadors on open days etc will go up later in the year. Otherwise, you can probably find retail/bar work in town if you start applying now before the freshers come in.
Let me know if you have any questions,
Charlotte :smile:
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,
I'm currently a student at Lancaster and hopefully I can help.
Living in the city can be cheaper but bus passes and longer letting contracts means usually it's not (although for a postgrad you might get a longer contract on campus). On campus you'll be close to everything you need to (the grad accommodation is very near management school), although you may want to do your shopping off campus as it'll be cheaper. However it can be a bit of a bubble and obviously mostly first year students live there. If you live off campus then you'll have easier access to the train station, all the shops in town and all the pubs/bars/restaurants as well. The commute is about 15 minutes from the city to campus (depending on the time of day).
In terms of part time work, there's opportunities on the careers website that someone's already posted, and jobs such as ambassadors on open days etc will go up later in the year. Otherwise, you can probably find retail/bar work in town if you start applying now before the freshers come in.
Let me know if you have any questions,
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Thank you friend. I decided to live off Campus and hopefully will enjoy bus ride everyday to campus :smile:. I will start applying for some part time jobs in city :smile:. Goodluck with your studies. If i come across anyone named Charlotte doing Biological Science, I will think of you haha.:biggrin:
Original post by ghbro
Thank you friend. I decided to live off Campus and hopefully will enjoy bus ride everyday to campus :smile:. I will start applying for some part time jobs in city :smile:. Goodluck with your studies. If i come across anyone named Charlotte doing Biological Science, I will think of you haha.:biggrin:

Once you get your library card make sure to buy the stagecoach student bus ticket (all the buses are stagecoach). You can buy it from the student's union or online and you scan your card (and show your student ID) to get on the buses in the whole of Morecambe Bay Area. It'll be cheaper then buying returns/day riders.
Reply 6
Once you get your library card make sure to buy the stagecoach student bus ticket (all the buses are stagecoach). You can buy it from the student's union or online and you scan your card (and show your student ID) to get on the buses in the whole of Morecambe Bay Area. It'll be cheaper then buying returns/day riders.

Thank you. I will be living close to Lancaster city centre. I hope the bus runs in that route too.
Original post by ghbro
Thank you. I will be living close to Lancaster city centre. I hope the bus runs in that route too.

Buses 1 and 100 are the main ones from the city centre to campus. 4 goes from the train station to campus and there's also the 40, 41 and 42 which run a less regular service too. The main bus stops in town are Common Garden Street and the Bus Station.
I'm sure you'll be on one of these!
Reply 8
Buses 1 and 100 are the main ones from the city centre to campus. 4 goes from the train station to campus and there's also the 40, 41 and 42 which run a less regular service too. The main bus stops in town are Common Garden Street and the Bus Station.
I'm sure you'll be on one of these!
Charlotte

Thank you Charlotte , you are helpful. :smile:
Original post by ghbro
Hey all....

It's most cost effective to live in town. I would strongly recommend living on campus in your first year, though. Much easier to get to know people this way and you'll be living as an adult with some training wheels still on (assuming you'll be 18 and living away from home for the first time, anyway).

Loads of part time work opportunities on campus and in town. The students union and The Base (student services) can help with this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending