The Student Room Group

Is it worth it for me to apply to Cambridge or Oxford?

Hi, thanks for looking, I’m predicted A*AA in Psychology, Computer Science & Sociology, I want to go on to study Law at university, I just checked the entry requirements for Cambridge (A*AA) & Oxford (AAA) and just wanted to know if realistically it’s worth applying to, as in will I get an offer as I meet the requirements or is this the ‘bare minimum’ and people applying have predicted grades that usually exceed it?

Original post by Tommy77
Hi, thanks for looking, I’m predicted A*AA in Psychology, Computer Science & Sociology, I want to go on to study Law at university, I just checked the entry requirements for Cambridge (A*AA) & Oxford (AAA) and just wanted to know if realistically it’s worth applying to, as in will I get an offer as I meet the requirements or is this the ‘bare minimum’ and people applying have predicted grades that usually exceed it?

Hi @Tommy77, what were your GCSE grades? The average applicant to Oxford law has approximately 5.2 A*s/9's average, but offer holders have more like 8 or 9. Cambridge will not set so much store on your GCSE grades. However the grades are just the beginning. You will need to ace the LNAT to get an interview. Plus the extra reading etc, and do well at interview. If you are given an offer, you don't need to exceed it, just meet it. But if you have the drive and the grades, why not apply?
Original post by Oxford Mum
Hi @Tommy77, what were your GCSE grades? The average applicant to Oxford law has approximately 5.2 A*s/9's average, but offer holders have more like 8 or 9. Cambridge will not set so much store on your GCSE grades. However the grades are just the beginning. You will need to ace the LNAT to get an interview. Plus the extra reading etc, and do well at interview. If you are given an offer, you don't need to exceed it, just meet it. But if you have the drive and the grades, why not apply?

I graduated from Cambridge [in: year edited] (first class, Law) and did not sit the LNAT before my application or at all. Nor did I get 8 or 9 As in my GCSEs. It is a prerequisite to have done the LNAT for Law at Oxford, though, as I understand it, and as indicated in the earlier post.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by NameUnknown
I graduated from Cambridge last year (first class, Law) and did not sit the LNAT before my application or at all. Nor did I get 8 or 9 As in my GCSEs. It is a prerequisite to have done the LNAT for Law at Oxford, though, as I understand it, and as indicated in the earlier post.

Ah I see, that's interesting. And also as I said before, Cambridge is more lenient for GCSEs. But often their offers are higher, e.g. Law at Oxford is AAA, and at Cambridge it's A*AA.
Reply 4
Original post by Oxford Mum

Thanks for the reply, I got 2 9’s 3’8’s and the rest 7’s for GCSE’s, now that you mention it i should just apply and see what happens! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by NameUnknown
I graduated from Cambridge last year (first class, Law) and did not sit the LNAT before my application or at all. Nor did I get 8 or 9 As in my GCSEs. It is a prerequisite to have done the LNAT for Law at Oxford, though, as I understand it, and as indicated in the earlier post.

Hi, thats pretty comforting to hear, do you mind me asking your predicted grades & how your interview went?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending