The Student Room Group

Dissertation situation

I want to change my supervisor but she is also my personal tutor, help?

Scroll to see replies

Have a chat with Student Services
Original post by Anonymous

Why do you want to change your supervisor?

Hi there,

As @PhoenixFortune says, why do you want to exchange your dissertation supervisor? Is it a change of topic or do you feel you won't be supported during your dissertation?

Fiona :horse:
Reply 4
Original post by Welshvisitor

at my uni they are useless
Reply 5
Original post by Welshvisitor

Thanks for replying though
Reply 6
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Why do you want to change your supervisor?

Thanks for replying. First she changed my topic a bit without telling me, its similar, but at first she said I'm doing this specific cancer so I started researching this cancer for over a week then on the submission form she wrote down a different title and said we are going to focus more on the proteins and open it to all cancers because there wasn't enough information on that one type of cancer, so a weeks worth of research down the drain, Then she gave me this website to use which we have never used before. In the first meeting, I asked her that if I have any trouble with the website can I go to her for help, and she said she hopes I ask for help. In today's meeting I told her I tried to YouTube and google how to use the website but there was no simplified explanation and she said "there is nothing to simplify" and there are also complicated graphs on the website and she said just to ignore them. She told me to plan my introduction which I did, (she didn't tell me how to structure it or give me any guidance,), and when I told her she just said it sounds like a lot cut a lot of it out. I don't even know if I'm writing the relevant thing or if there is anything re I can add on. I'm not asking ft be spoon fed, just a bit of guidance. I also really don't like my topic but I'm trying not to be fussy. What do I do because as a personal tutor last year she sort of helped me when I went to her but as a supervisor she is terrible.
Reply 7
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there,

As @PhoenixFortune says, why do you want to exchange your dissertation supervisor? Is it a change of topic or do you feel you won't be supported during your dissertation?

Fiona :horse:

Thanks for replying Fiona. First she changed my topic a bit without telling me, its similar, but at first she said I'm doing this specific cancer so I started researching this cancer for over a week then on the submission form she wrote down a different title and said we are going to focus more on the proteins and open it to all cancers because there wasn't enough information on that one type of cancer, so a weeks worth of research down the drain, Then she gave me this website to use which we have never used before. In the first meeting, I asked her that if I have any trouble with the website can I go to her for help, and she said she hopes I ask for help. In today's meeting I told her I tried to YouTube and google how to use the website but there was no simplified explanation and she said "there is nothing to simplify" and there are also complicated graphs on the website and she said just to ignore them. She told me to plan my introduction which I did, (she didn't tell me how to structure it or give me any guidance,), and when I told her she just said it sounds like a lot cut a lot of it out. I don't even know if I'm writing the relevant thing or if there is anything re I can add on. I'm not asking ft be spoon fed, just a bit of guidance. I also really don't like my topic but I'm trying not to be fussy. What do I do because as a personal tutor last year she sort of helped me when I went to her but as a supervisor she is terrible.
Reply 8
Original post by FavUniStudent678
Go with the colour purple

Thanks but what do you mean
Thanks for replying. First she changed my topic a bit without telling me, its similar, but at first she said I'm doing this specific cancer so I started researching this cancer for over a week then on the submission form she wrote down a different title and said we are going to focus more on the proteins and open it to all cancers because there wasn't enough information on that one type of cancer, so a weeks worth of research down the drain, Then she gave me this website to use which we have never used before. In the first meeting, I asked her that if I have any trouble with the website can I go to her for help, and she said she hopes I ask for help. In today's meeting I told her I tried to YouTube and google how to use the website but there was no simplified explanation and she said "there is nothing to simplify" and there are also complicated graphs on the website and she said just to ignore them. She told me to plan my introduction which I did, (she didn't tell me how to structure it or give me any guidance,), and when I told her she just said it sounds like a lot cut a lot of it out. I don't even know if I'm writing the relevant thing or if there is anything re I can add on. I'm not asking ft be spoon fed, just a bit of guidance. I also really don't like my topic but I'm trying not to be fussy. What do I do because as a personal tutor last year she sort of helped me when I went to her but as a supervisor she is terrible.

I think you need to sit down with your supervisor and outline exactly what you need to know, and what you need to learn to do this dissertation. You can also go to study skills to get more advice on how to structure your dissertation and the suggested word counts for each section. You need to be explicit about what you expect from your supervisor too, so she can tell you what she expects from you in return.
I think you need to sit down with your supervisor and outline exactly what you need to know, and what you need to learn to do this dissertation. You can also go to study skills to get more advice on how to structure your dissertation and the suggested word counts for each section. You need to be explicit about what you expect from your supervisor too, so she can tell you what she expects from you in return.

Thank you so much, I’m seeing her on Friday so I will tell her.
Hi there,

I agree with @PhoenixFortune in talking to your supervisor and being explicit in what you want from each other and also having a more structured outline on what is expected from you for the dissertation.

Your library or study skills department should also be able to assist you in such things as word counts or how to structure the dissertation. When I wrote mine, my library staff and the student writing mentors were invaluable in this!

Fi :horse:
Thanks for replying Fiona. First she changed my topic a bit without telling me, its similar, but at first she said I'm doing this specific cancer so I started researching this cancer for over a week then on the submission form she wrote down a different title and said we are going to focus more on the proteins and open it to all cancers because there wasn't enough information on that one type of cancer, so a weeks worth of research down the drain, Then she gave me this website to use which we have never used before. In the first meeting, I asked her that if I have any trouble with the website can I go to her for help, and she said she hopes I ask for help. In today's meeting I told her I tried to YouTube and google how to use the website but there was no simplified explanation and she said "there is nothing to simplify" and there are also complicated graphs on the website and she said just to ignore them. She told me to plan my introduction which I did, (she didn't tell me how to structure it or give me any guidance,), and when I told her she just said it sounds like a lot cut a lot of it out. I don't even know if I'm writing the relevant thing or if there is anything re I can add on. I'm not asking ft be spoon fed, just a bit of guidance. I also really don't like my topic but I'm trying not to be fussy. What do I do because as a personal tutor last year she sort of helped me when I went to her but as a supervisor she is terrible.
Hi there,

I agree with @PhoenixFortune in talking to your supervisor and being explicit in what you want from each other and also having a more structured outline on what is expected from you for the dissertation.

Your library or study skills department should also be able to assist you in such things as word counts or how to structure the dissertation. When I wrote mine, my library staff and the student writing mentors were invaluable in this!

Thank you
Also like my previous topic, I don’t think she thought through this topic enough because I can’t find a lot on it, but she there is a lot and enough to write 10000 words on. If I do struggle half way, or my dissertation isn’t great, will I be blamed for it or her?
Also like my previous topic, I don’t think she thought through this topic enough because I can’t find a lot on it, but she there is a lot and enough to write 10000 words on. If I do struggle half way, or my dissertation isn’t great, will I be blamed for it or her?

It depends on your university's policies. Given that your supervisor has chosen the topic, it would primarily be their responsibility to establish if there is enough background literature for a 10,000 word dissertation. What is the exact nature of your dissertation? Are you doing your own original research project?
Thank you

Hi there,

You're welcome. I can see @PhoenixFortune has given you some excellent advice too.

Good luck in the dissertation!

Hi there,

You're welcome. I can see @PhoenixFortune has given you some excellent advice too.

Good luck in the dissertation!

Thanks
It depends on your university's policies. Given that your supervisor has chosen the topic, it would primarily be their responsibility to establish if there is enough background literature for a 10,000 word dissertation. What is the exact nature of your dissertation? Are you doing your own original research project?

No, it’s a topic my supervisor gave me, which is why I really don’t enjoy it
It’s been 4 weeks, is it still too late to change
No, it’s a topic my supervisor gave me, which is why I really don’t enjoy it

I mean are you actually conducting research, or is it simply a literature review or something similar?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending