The Student Room Group

#NoWrongPath - I did a foundation year to get onto my degree

Hi all, I'm Deyesy and this my thread for the #NoWrongPath series we're doing on TSR!

Although I'm currently working in a call centre, I graduated with a 2.1 (Hons) in Psychology from Manchester Metropolitan University in 2017. I'm now looking to use my degree either with the police or teaching.

In terms of how I got there though...

1) I got 11 GCSE's A-C in 2008 through attending a Church of England school. Sixth form was a bit of mess. I ended up resitting year 12 as I got bullied in original sixth-form. I ended up with DDE in my second sixth-form as I didn't take them seriously enough

3) I then went to evening college for two years, studying psychology every Wednesday evening to improve my E to a C so my A Levels were CDD (a little better :redface:)

4) These slightly improved A Levels got me onto a degree which was BSc (Hons) Psychology with a foundation year in 2013.

5) I averaged over 70% on this foundation year and moved straight onto the BSc. I graduated with a 2.1 w/hons in September 2017 even if my 3rd year was a mighty struggle for various reasons.

So that's my journey. Slightly long winded but I got where I needed to be in the end and I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. I've met my partner through getting involved on TSR - I initially logged on for revision support.

Not everyone follows a direct path to university, so do feel free to AMA :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Forgot to change the date I made the thread. Dammit :colonhash: I'm bumping it for thats sake :tongue:
What career / open-doors / outcome did you want from Uni (when you applied for the first time before results day).

Is that still the plan?
Reply 3
Original post by mnot
What career / open-doors / outcome did you want from Uni (when you applied for the first time before results day).

Is that still the plan?

I wanted to go into teaching - which I did apply for at the end of my 3rd year but wasn't successful. This is still potentially my aim, though I've also applied for the graduate police scheme.

Apart from teaching, I guess I never really had an 'end goal'. I just always wanted to go and I was fortunate enough to study something I absolutely loved.
I’m at MMU right now, I just wanted to know your honest opinion of the uni and how employers react to it :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by OR321
I’m at MMU right now, I just wanted to know your honest opinion of the uni and how employers react to it :smile:

Honestly, I absolutely loved my time there. I had a few negative experiences in halls but they were dealt with quickly and effectively. The psychology staff couldn't have done more to support me throughout my four years there - especially in my final year when I was going through a lot of personal problems. Without their support, I wouldn't have the 2.1 I have now.

My degree is accredited by a professional body so employers almost have no reaction to it. They're concerned by the fact I have 2.1 with (Hons) much more than the university itself :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
Honestly, I absolutely love my time there. I had a few negative experiences in halls but they were dealt with quickly and effectively. The psychology staff couldn't have done more to support me throughout my four years there - especially in my final year when I was going through a lot of personal problems. Without their support, I wouldn't have the 2.1 I have now.

My degree is accredited by a professional body so employers almost have no reaction to it. They're concerned by the fact I have 2.1 with (Hons) much more than the university itself :smile:

That’s nice to hear. Thank youuu
Reply 7
Original post by OR321
That’s nice to hear. Thank youuu

How are you finding it there/what are you studying? :smile:
Original post by Deyesy
How are you finding it there/what are you studying? :smile:

I’m studying Business Management. The uni itself is actually a lot better than what people say 😂 most lecturers etc are pretty fun and engaging so it’s good. I commute in train so that’s the only issue so far 😬, I’m so sick of trains now haha. We got very similar a levels too, I got BCD 😂
(edited 4 years ago)
My route also wasn't as direct as most peoples so I'm glad I'm not the only one!
Reply 10
Original post by OR321
I’m studying Business Management. The uni itself is actually a lot better than what people say 😂 most lecturers etc are pretty fun and engaging so it’s good. I commute in train so that’s the only issue so far 😬, I’m so sick of trains now haha. We got very similar a levels too, I got BCD 😂

The business school is an absolute maze :lol: I couldn't have commuted, so I don't envy you! Especially with how bad Northern are :tongue:
Original post by bones-mccoy
My route also wasn't as direct as most peoples so I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Took me an age but well worth persevering with. I wouldn't change my journey for anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending