The Student Room Group

Ignoring me, I think.

I text a friend regularly to see how she is, and she just doesn't reply back. I have no idea why not. Maybe she's busy I don't know.
But I feel it's all the time with her, I like to ask my friends how they are but she just totally ignores me- that's how I feel anyway.

What should I do?
Reply 1
as someone who is terribly guilty of this, she could just be really bad at replying to texts. however, if she's ignoring you in person I'd say she's not worth your friendship anyway
Call her.
Reply 3
Original post by bafkugo
as someone who is terribly guilty of this, she could just be really bad at replying to texts. however, if she's ignoring you in person I'd say she's not worth your friendship anyway

Thanks.
She has moved to a different university which is far away so I do not see her in person, I just text her to see how she is.
Would you say it's better to be told why someone is ignoring you or just them not texting you back?
I know how you feel, I've been worried when this has happened to me in the past too. Although, saying that I am often rubbish at replying to texts due to being too busy. I'm sure there's no meaning behind it. Maybe ask her outright? :smile:

You sound like a great friend too!
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks.
She has moved to a different university which is far away so I do not see her in person, I just text her to see how she is.
Would you say it's better to be told why someone is ignoring you or just them not texting you back?

id always say it's better to know and have that knowledge rather than drive yourself insane with possibilities
Reply 6
Original post by PilboBaggins
I know how you feel, I've been worried when this has happened to me in the past too. Although, saying that I am often rubbish at replying to texts due to being too busy. I'm sure there's no meaning behind it. Maybe ask her outright? :smile:

You sound like a great friend too!

Aww thank you! I'm told that alot:smile: x

And yes, I'm the opposite, I normally reply to texts asap.
Reply 7
Some people find it annoying. You're clearly borderline obsessed, so you should really back off.
Reply 8
Original post by Xarao
Some people find it annoying. You're clearly borderline obsessed, so you should really back off.

She's a concerned friend. that's not borderline obsessed in anyway. I normally wouldn't call people out but that came off really mean.
I text a friend regularly to see how she is, and she just doesn't reply back. I have no idea why not. Maybe she's busy I don't know.
But I feel it's all the time with her, I like to ask my friends how they are but she just totally ignores me- that's how I feel anyway.

What should I do?

I just think it's really nice how you care about how your friends are and actually ask them :smile:
Original post by Xarao

I didn't think of it as an obsession... I simply like to ask my friends how they are doing?
But maybe, now asking if someone is well, is what obsession is. Okay. It's my fault I won't go asking people how they're doing.
You see the thing is, noone asks me, I ask them, I'm an idiot because I would do anything for anyone, if someone doesn't text me back, I will still genuinely ask them how they are.
If someone says something to me I forgive and forget.

I'm told I'm too nice and too loyal. I can't help it. I wish I didn't care to ask how people are. Then i guess i wouldn't be labelled as 'obsessed'. I also have anxiety so when I don't hear from people I begin to worry about them.
I guess nowadays that's called 'obsession'.
Original post by boomboomb
I just think it's really nice how you care about how your friends are and actually ask them :smile:

Thank you!
But I think I shouldn't, because apparently it's called 'obsession'.
Noone asks about me, but I always check up on friends.
Reply 12
I didn't think of it as an obsession... I simply like to ask my friends how they are doing?
But maybe, now asking if someone is well, is what obsession is. Okay. It's my fault I won't go asking people how they're doing.
You see the thing is, noone asks me, I ask them, I'm an idiot because I would do anything for anyone, if someone doesn't text me back, I will still genuinely ask them how they are.
If someone says something to me I forgive and forget.

I'm told I'm too nice and too loyal. I can't help it. I wish I didn't care to ask how people are. Then i guess i wouldn't be labelled as 'obsessed'. I also have anxiety so when I don't hear from people I begin to worry about them.
I guess nowadays that's called 'obsession'.

Sure, that's fine. But if they don't want to respond, they don't need to. Yet, you started panicking and created a TSR thread on what to do, that's what I call obsessed. You stop bothering them. Also, you mentioned you do this every single day and she still ignores you.

Original post by bafkugo
She's a concerned friend. that's not borderline obsessed in anyway. I normally wouldn't call people out but that came off really mean.

She's not "concerned" as there is nothing wrong to deem that there's a problem with his/her friend. I'm assuming OP is doing this to generally ask if people are okay and if people don't respond, that's up to them.
(edited 4 years ago)
Thank you!
But I think I shouldn't, because apparently it's called 'obsession'.
Noone asks about me, but I always check up on friends.

well I disagree
I think it would be nice for the person on the other end
makes them feel like someone is there for them
Reply 14
I ignore people I like and am friends with sometimes, I’d imagine it’s fairly common

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending