The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Typo in personal statement

So, submitted personal statment a few weeks ago and had proofread it thoroughly and could never find and mistake in grammar. I randomly checked it earlier today just to read through it and noticed right at the end I made an error. Don't know I somehow missed it as I must have read my personal statement like 30 times. I meant to say 'I am keen to change people's lives for the better ' but instead wrote 'I am keen to change to people's lives for the better' this has really worried me all day and is it possible this won't affect my application? I am applying to dentistry which I get is a competitive course. Help please!
Reply 1
Original post by Dortmund fan
So, submitted personal statment a few weeks ago and had proofread it thoroughly and could never find and mistake in grammar. I randomly checked it earlier today just to read through it and noticed right at the end I made an error. Don't know I somehow missed it as I must have read my personal statement like 30 times. I meant to say 'I am keen to change people's lives for the better ' but instead wrote 'I am keen to change to people's lives for the better' this has really worried me all day and is it possible this won't affect my application? I am applying to dentistry which I get is a competitive course. Help please!

Hi there,
I am sure that they would be fine with this, to be honest they may not even notice themselves. If you are super worried I would email them and let them know you made a typo and explain that it was simply a mistake - it can only mean you care a lot about getting an offer right?! but honestly I'm sure they know a simple one word typo isn't a judge of your true character.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Thanks for your response, are you taking into account the fact that I am applying to dentistry? Because I have generally heard that it doesn't really matter if you make one small typo but I'm not sure for the more competitive courses. For what it's worth I feel like the rest of my personal statement is good but I guess I'm just worried they will think 'oh a typo he obviously hasn't cared enough to proofread' sorry to seem persistent about this but I could really do with some reassurance lol
Reply 3
Thanks for your response, are you taking into account the fact that I am applying to dentistry? Because I have generally heard that it doesn't really matter if you make one small typo but I'm not sure for the more competitive courses. For what it's worth I feel like the rest of my personal statement is good but I guess I'm just worried they will think 'oh a typo he obviously hasn't cared enough to proofread' sorry to seem persistent about this but I could really do with some reassurance lol

Yeah, I'm sure they'll be perfectly okay with it. at the end of the day there's not much you can do in terms of changing it so i'd recommend just focussing on the positives like you have done. If the rest of the personal statement is strong enough it will be okay, they wont turn you down simply over a typo.
Reply 4

I think the reason you missed it even after reading it so many times is because you knew in your head what you were saying and that's what you think you read.. might be pop psychology there, but I've heard that's a very real reason for errors. And in that case, the person reading your personal statement may make the same mistake, as they automatically correct it in their head because they read it in a way that makes sense to them.. if that makes sense? So in that regard, you may have gotten away with it. Even still, a small typo like that shouldn't hinder your chances, as long as you kept to a very strong standard for the rest of your personal statement. Good luck with it! :biggrin:
Original post by Jhill98_
Yeah, I'm sure they'll be perfectly okay with it. at the end of the day there's not much you can do in terms of changing it so i'd recommend just focussing on the positives like you have done. If the rest of the personal statement is strong enough it will be okay, they wont turn you down simply over a typo.

Thanks needed to hear something like that.
Original post by iFlops
I think the reason you missed it even after reading it so many times is because you knew in your head what you were saying and that's what you think you read.. might be pop psychology there, but I've heard that's a very real reason for errors. And in that case, the person reading your personal statement may make the same mistake, as they automatically correct it in their head because they read it in a way that makes sense to them.. if that makes sense? So in that regard, you may have gotten away with it. Even still, a small typo like that shouldn't hinder your chances, as long as you kept to a very strong standard for the rest of your personal statement. Good luck with it! :biggrin:

And just to confirm you think this applies for someone applying to dentistry? Did the mistake seem obvious to you when you read it? Thanks btw
Reply 7
Thanks needed to hear something like that.

Good luck! I'm sure they'll see your passion
Don't worry, it'll be fine.

They're not going to think:
'ah, this person made a small typo, they clearly aren't good enough to be a dentist!'

Goodluck! :smile:
Reply 9
And just to confirm you think this applies for someone applying to dentistry? Did the mistake seem obvious to you when you read it? Thanks btw

I was successful in applying to dentistry last year and I can't see why it would make any difference. I had to read it a couple times to see the mistake anyways. You'll be fine, seriously!:smile:
I didn’t notice it after reading it twice, then reread really closely and finally found it! Hopefully they won’t notice either. Good luck! Hope you get it!
Original post by OliviaForever
I didn’t notice it after reading it twice, then reread really closely and finally found it! Hopefully they won’t notice either. Good luck! Hope you get it!

Thank you appreciate your help a lot👍
Original post by Anonymous
Don't worry, it'll be fine.

They're not going to think:
'ah, this person made a small typo, they clearly aren't good enough to be a dentist!'

Goodluck! :smile:

Thanks really appreciate it
Reply 13

The thing is, the mistake was only obvious to me because you explained it, otherwise, I'm really not sure if I would or not.
In terms of the fact you're applying to dentistry, admittedly, it did ring some alarm bells considering how competitive it is.... however, one small typo seems insignificant, it shouldn't come down to that typo in deciding whether you are good enough for the course, that would be ridiculous. Like I said, if everything else is perfect with your personal statement, cv, etc, then you'll have just as good a chance of doing dentistry as your course.
Original post by iFlops
The thing is, the mistake was only obvious to me because you explained it, otherwise, I'm really not sure if I would or not.
In terms of the fact you're applying to dentistry, admittedly, it did ring some alarm bells considering how competitive it is.... however, one small typo seems insignificant, it shouldn't come down to that typo in deciding whether you are good enough for the course, that would be ridiculous. Like I said, if everything else is perfect with your personal statement, cv, etc, then you'll have just as good a chance of doing dentistry as your course.

Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending