The Student Room Group

nhs work experience

has anyone done NHS work experience in England? what was it like?
Original post by i'mconcuzled

I did a week in an NHS hospital working on a TIA unit, it was extremely interesting and I did enjoy it. I am now doing weekly work experience in a different hospital and on a neurology ward; the experiences you can get by doing work experience are amazing. I would urge anyone and everyone to do W/E if you get the opportunity to do so.

Are you thinking of going into a hospital setting? What are you interested in?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Hazzabear
I did a week in an NHS hospital working on a TIA unit, it was extremely interesting and I did enjoy it. I am now doing weekly work experience in a different hospital and on a neurology ward; the experiences you can get by doing work experience are amazing. I would urge anyone and everyone to do W/E if you get the opportunity to do so.

Are you thinking of going into a hospital setting? What are you interested in?

yup, I want to be a doctor and I'm thinking brain stuff or a pathologist. I haven't made up my mind though. in our school you have to do a work experience so I'm hoping to do it in a hospital.
yup, I want to be a doctor and I'm thinking brain stuff or a pathologist. I haven't made up my mind though. in our school you have to do a work experience so I'm hoping to do it in a hospital.

Any medical shadowing is good - don't get bogged down in trying to be in a specific specialty. Time spent shadowing doctors in A&E, GP, a general medical/surgical ward is all very useful.

My work experience was in immunology/HIV, CCU, and ENT/audiology.
Original post by Democracy
Any medical shadowing is good - don't get bogged down in trying to be in a specific specialty. Time spent shadowing doctors in A&E, GP, a general medical/surgical ward is all very useful.

My work experience was in immunology/HIV, CCU, and ENT/audiology.

It does depend on what age you are if you're allowed to work in A&E. Most NHS hospitals says if you're under 18 you cannot work in:
- A&E
- Paediatric wards
- Maternity
- Some also say oncology as well (infection reasons etc)

@Democracy how long did your work experience typically last for?
It does depend on what age you are if you're allowed to work in A&E. Most NHS hospitals says if you're under 18 you cannot work in:
- A&E
- Paediatric wards
- Maternity

Did a week in each.
- A&E
- Paediatric wards
- Maternity

in the hospital I want to do work experience in it does work experience with presentations and fake situations.
in the hospital I want to do work experience in it does work experience with presentations and fake situations.

There are no issues with that, it just depends on what you want to do.

Do you get any experience on a ward or clinic?

I shadowed a consultants team performng different surgeries. The work experience lasted a day. It was really amazing because i was watching alongside medical students and i am not a medical student(just intrested in surgery) and i was in awe like i never thought i would ever see people under the surgical knive. Everything felt so surreal but i thorougly enjoyed it.
(edited 4 years ago)
There are no issues with that, it just depends on what you want to do.

Do you get any experience on a ward or clinic?

i dont think so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending