The Student Room Group

Will I get accepted into Oxbridge ?

I am predicted BBB but my teachers are saying that I am working at an AAA at A level. I want to apply to Oxbridge but I feel as though my GCSE's are going to bring me down. I got 9,8,7,7,7,7,6,5,5.I know that my personal statement and my interview also determine whether I get in or not but everywhere I look online they say I need at least a couple of A*'s and around 7 A's. Also I am going to resit some of my GCSE's - what should my reply be when they ask me why I resat ? Thanks .
Original post by safia.2002
I am predicted BBB but my teachers are saying that I am working at an AAA at A level. I want to apply to Oxbridge but I feel as though my GCSE's are going to bring me down. I got 9,8,7,7,7,7,6,5,5.I know that my personal statement and my interview also determine whether I get in or not but everywhere I look online they say I need at least a couple of A*'s and around 7 A's. Also I am going to resit some of my GCSE's - what should my reply be when they ask me why I resat ? Thanks .

I’m going to be a bit blunt, your GCSEs won’t be the thing to hold you back if you’re predicted BBB when Oxbridge courses require AAA minimum, with many candidates predicted and achieving higher. Why are you only predicted BBB if you’re working to a high level?

Realistically, you need to be predicted at least the entry A level grades before you consider applying. If you can get your predictions to that level, then you’re in a better position.

Your GCSEs are strong, although as always with Oxbridge, many candidates will have higher. Don’t get too obsessed by ‘quotas’ or ‘the average grades of an Oxbridge student’ as everything is consider on a case by case basis. I’m not sure retaking would be necessary and you might be better focusing on your A levels (although I may be wrong about this so happy to be corrected by another poster!) Then you need to revise for any tests you may have to do for your subject (which you haven’t mentioned) and do well in that, write a strong personal statement and also perform well at interview.

However, all of that is essentially unnecessary until your A level predictions are at the right level. Best of luck :smile:
Original post by safia.2002

Why are you being predicted BBB if you're getting AAA? Unless you're applying for Medicine there's generally not a lot of risk in applying for Oxbridge but you're extremely unlikely to even get interviewed unless you're predicted the entry requirements.
Those predicted grades are too low for most universities, you need at least A*AA predicted for Oxbridge, but most will have A*A*A or A*A*A*. Your GCSEs are mediocre, only having 1 9 and 1 8 isn’t good enough, as most applicants will have all grade 8s and 9s. Something about your application needs to change, you need change how you’re working if your even thinking of applying to Oxbridge as BBB isn’t very good for predicted grades. What subject would you be applying for? There needs to be a lot of improvement or significant change to even think of applying.
Original post by Anonymous
you need at least A*AA predicted for Oxbridge

Entirely course-dependent, at Oxford, most arts/humanities courses don't ask for an A*.
Reply 5
assuming your y12 right now, get them to raise your predictions before y13 when you apply

from exp, they don’t look at you unless you have their desired predicted grades and that goes for every university.

might even help to boost one of those As up for an A*AA, as an admissions tutor once told me, it’s not about living upto your predicted grades, its about getting the grades to get in and prove you’re of a high calibre :smile:

oxbridge is the best of the best, i’m applying right now with predictions A*A*A and the competition is so bloody fierce! you’d be eaten alive with BBB predictions- get those As if you deserve it!! good luck!
with your predicted grades being BBB, unfortunately I don’t think you’d have much of a chance. Why haven’t they predicted you AAA if that’s how you’re working? Having those predicted grades will definitely give you a strong chance.

I’m going to disagree with the previous posters and say your GCSEs don’t really matter, unless your chosen course has specific requirements for GCSEs then I think it’ll be okay. My GCSEs were horrific with my only 7 being a half gcse yet I still managed to get offers from 3 Russell groups, I had extenuating circumstances so they will look at application individually.
Is this a troll?
Original post by Plagioclase
Why are you being predicted BBB if you're getting AAA? Unless you're applying for Medicine there's generally not a lot of risk in applying for Oxbridge but you're extremely unlikely to even get interviewed unless you're predicted the entry requirements.

My school has this weird grading system . I am predicted 3 B= this means that I am predicted secure B's . I am in year 13 so after year 12 mocks I came out with A-,A=,A=. After talking to my teachers they said I needed to get A+ for them to change my predicted grades to A's. Honestly I don't care about my predicted grades I am going to take a gap year anyway . Sorry for not mentioning this earlier .
Original post by Anonymous
Those predicted grades are too low for most universities, you need at least A*AA predicted for Oxbridge, but most will have A*A*A or A*A*A*. Your GCSEs are mediocre, only having 1 9 and 1 8 isn’t good enough, as most applicants will have all grade 8s and 9s. Something about your application needs to change, you need change how you’re working if your even thinking of applying to Oxbridge as BBB isn’t very good for predicted grades. What subject would you be applying for? There needs to be a lot of improvement or significant change to even think of applying.

I agree with you but you could've said this in a nicer way .
Don’t pay too much heed to the GCSEs. There is no ‘quota’ for a certain number of 8s or 9s you need, although generally speaking Oxford tend to pay closer attention to GCSEs, so if this bothers you then apply to Cambridge. But as other posters have said you need to get your predictions raised to at least the entry requirements to even stand a chance of an interview. At the very minimum, if you can get your school to predict you AAA and then have them explain in the reference that they do not predict A*s, in that case you can be invited to interview. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending